Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 308 in 270

Boolit Master

I saw a brand new Browning A-Bolt 25-06 that had a .308 fired in it or should say pieces of a browning A-Bolt the shooter did not have any permanent damage. He did have to have the top of his nose reconstructed where part of the scope came back and put a deep dent in the upper bones of his nose. There was not much left of the rifle or the brand new Leopold 4X14 scope but the one thing that I saw was that the action split long ways through the middle but the bolt was still laying or maybe welded to the bottom half. It appeared to me the barrel let loose and went up and forward the front ring on the action went up and came back both of those pieces were never found they did find a piece of the forward part of the barrel and the part of the scope that hit the shooter. About the only thing left of the stock was the butt stock the shooter had his left hand under the buttstock shooting from a rest, had it been under the forearm I'm sure that he would have lost it. He was shooting leaning over the hood of a really nice pickup and heard that the hood had to be repainted because of the powder burns across the hood plus dents! Be careful out there!

Boolit Master
    A big area sporting goods store had a show&shoot demo at our range. One of their secretaries wanted to try shooting a Ruger AR. The 300 Blackout rifle was switched for a 5.56, but the ammo guy loaded 30 BO into the rifle. The BO is short enough to chamber, and the closing bolt pushes the fat bullet back into the case enough to fully close the bolt. The result was lots of noise, a fireball out the magazine well, and frightened store crew. The rifle was ruined, but luckily it held.

Have a rimfire 22-17 myra .Insert 22LR and out comes 17 ,,but this by design

Boolit Master
    Marble and Echo used to make broken shell extractors. These had the appropriate sized case head and rim with spring fingers which would go through the case neck and catch on the mouth of the case. Inserting it into the chamber, closing the bolt, and then pulling it open again pulled the extractor and broken shell out.

Maybe check with Brownell’s or Midway to see if they have one in .270.

A much more ticklish, and prone to disaster if done wrong, method is to get an appropriate sized tap, carefully turn it a few turns into the brass and tap the assembly out with a cleaning rod inserted into the muzzle. Picking the wrong size tap, or not starting it carefully, can gouge the chamber, rendering the barrel ruined unless/until it is set back and rechambered.

Don’t ask me how I know this.

Boolit Grand Master
    push a bullet into the neck of the case that is stuck
    make sure you have a force fit
    melt some cerrosafe pour into chamber
    use rod to tap out cerrosafe with stuck case
    best o luck
    Last edited by white eagle; 08-02-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackbahart View Post
    Have a rimfire 22-17 myra .Insert 22LR and out comes 17 ,,but this by design
    I was not aware of these.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-bore-chamber
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

A 308 in a 270 chamber .... just a little excessive head space !
    Wow !!! that the shooter wasn't injured or killed is simply amazing !

I guess what my Mom used to tell me was right ... " The Good Lord Watches Over Children , Fools and Drunks " .
    Momma also said to "Be careful and mind what you do ! " which meant don't do dumb stuff the Lord my be taking a nap .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

.308 in a .270 seems to be more common than most would think, I've heard of this happening before, once at the range I frequent here, though I wasn't around when it happenned. Remington 700 in that instance.

I don't think I'd trust that rifle after that, just retire it and chalk the whole thing up to bad experience.

I have only personally been present when a rifle was blown up once. It was a H&R Ultra in 7mag and was powder charge of 62gr of 2400, blew it to pieces.

A kid kept coming in the shop with a Rem 721 in 300H&H. I wanted that rifle but kid wasn’t interested in trading, nor buying a box of ammo because of price. One day he came in with gun and box of Win 300 H&H in the old Yellow box. He had bought them at a flea market. He said it was pushing the bullets back into case when you closed the bolt, would I check it out. The cartridges were some 35 cal wildcat on 300H&H case. They could have been formed on any common belted magnum. They were just short enough you could almost get bolt closed. There is no doubt in my mind a 721 would have blown up like a grenade under those circumstances. Never did get that rifle off that hard head kid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I have only personally been present when a rifle was blown up once. It was a H&R Ultra in 7mag and was powder charge of 62gr of 2400, blew it to pieces.

A kid kept coming in the shop with a Rem 721 in 300H&H. I wanted that rifle but kid wasn’t interested in trading, nor buying a box of ammo because of price. One day he came in with gun and box of Win 300 H&H in the old Yellow box. He had bought them at a flea market. He said it was pushing the bullets back into case when you closed the bolt, would I check it out. The cartridges were some 35 cal wildcat on 300H&H case. They could have been formed on any common belted magnum. They were just short enough you could almost get bolt closed. There is no doubt in my mind a 721 would have blown up like a grenade under those circumstances. Never did get that rifle off that hard head kid.
    That would have been a darn shame if it had happenned. The .300 H&H has always interested me, only big .30 Magnum that does. I'd love to have a 721 in it.

To me the 300H&H was similar to the 222Rem, close to perfection for the bore. When 223s came out they didn’t have rifles that compared in accuracy to 222s. Now they do a 222s are obsolete. For years 222s dominated matches and 300H&H was same way against 300Win Mag. It dominated matches for years. I still like 222s, 300 & 375 H&Hs. In the magnums I would rather have a Pre64 Win M70 than a 721, but both are scarce.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the '50's the NRA reported on a rifle that had been sent to them to be checked out. The owner said he had killed several deer with it but "it kicked like He!!. It was a Jap 6.5 externally in good shape. Someone had run a 30-06 reamer into it! He was shooting jacketed 30-06 through a 6.5 barrel! The NRA declined the opportunity to shoot it and stated that they understood why it kicked so badly. This is the action that Hatcher declared the strongest ever made, fortunately for the poor soul who killed a couple deer with it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12