Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: FDA recall list of hand sanitizers

FDA recall list of hand sanitizers

The FDA has been finding hand sanitizer made with toxic methanol instead of safe ethanol. Since the methanol is absorbed through the skin and pretty toxic it is worth using the search they provide to search their list of recalled brands. It numbers around 80 so far.

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safet...hanol#products

Be well, stay safe. Don't forget you dog is right you can wipe your backside by scooting across the grass. Who needs toilet paper!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Install a booty-washing machine, instead.

https://youtu.be/ekm9q2dvk6k

All of the companies that made and distributed the tainted hand sanitizer are from Mexico. I find that odd.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Banned
    Yeah, aren’t we supposed to be hating on China? That’s what we’ve been told to do by the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    All of the companies that made and distributed the tainted hand sanitizer are from Mexico. I find that odd.
    I don't find it odd at all. I would think Mexico has lower level of oversight and standards enforcement. Absent an FDA type entity who is going to tell the supply chain "alcohol" has to be grain variety not the wood variety? Who is going test and enforce those requirements?

Market demand and prices went high fast. Regular suppliers get stripped of supply leaving manufactures to try and find an alternative. Not all that much different than all those smokeless powders folks wouldn't have normally use that got used because nothing normally used was available. Explains my supply of BL-C(2) or the Mexican hand sanitizer having methanol.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Wasn't that long ago that there was a spate of methanol liquors in Mexican resorts - clearly inadequate oversight.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Make my own now. Three parts 190 proof ethanol to one part aloe gel, a few drops of essential oils like spearmint and lemon, some vitamin E oil and I'm good to go. Smells better than what I can buy, about the same cost, no worries on content.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I use good old soap & water and drink the 190 proof ethanol in mixed drinks! Why waste good Everclear.

Boolit Master
    I don't imbibe. No objections to moderate consumption, I just don't have the right kind of liver for it.

True that good hand washing is better than sanitizer, but I can't carry soap, water, sink and towel in my pocket, and for a while sanitizer was not to be found for purchase anywhere.

Banned
    Way back when the earth was flat, I was taught to wash my hands with soap & water. That has served me well.

As for just how toxic methanol is - you certainly don't want to drink it but unless you're bathing in the stuff 20 times a day, I have doubts that enough would be absorbed through the skin of your hands to be dangerous. Your hands don't provide much surface area, the methanol will not be present for very long and the concentration in the hand sanitizer isn't very high.
    By the way, ethanol is also toxic to humans, it just takes a lot more to kill you.

I suspect the recall has more to do with idiots poisoning themselves by drinking the stuff. Personally I think it's a self-correcting problem but that's one of the many reasons I'm not in charge of the FDA.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't drink it and stop worrying about it
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Way back when the earth was flat, I was taught to wash my hands with soap & water. That has served me well.

As for just how toxic methanol is - you certainly don't want to drink it but unless you're bathing in the stuff 20 times a day, I have doubts that enough would be absorbed through the skin of your hands to be dangerous. Your hands don't provide much surface area, the methanol will not be present for very long and the concentration in the hand sanitizer isn't very high.
    By the way, ethanol is also toxic to humans, it just takes a lot more to kill you.

I suspect the recall has more to do with idiots poisoning themselves by drinking the stuff. Personally I think it's a self-correcting problem but that's one of the many reasons I'm not in charge of the FDA.
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action!"

Though I prefer to avoid exposure as much as I can, since my vision is already not all that great. Much of what I do for fun requires that I not lose my vision entirely. Like reading. Machining. Reloading. Shooting.