Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maglite Battery Corrosion

Boolit Master

I keep a old mag light the 6 D battery one in my truck more for just a club but pretty much switch over to Fenix brand for EDC home and weapon's light also pick up a rechargeable headlamp
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I am like LuckyDawg13, If I got stopped by a cop all he/she will see on the back seat floor is a 5 cell maglite NOT a baseball bat.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    I have a three call Mag-Lite and left the batteries in too long. I got them out and tried cleaning the tube and contacts, no go. I went to the Mag- Lite factory which is about twenty five miles from me. They told me they could repair it for $11.00 or sell me a new one for $21. I did neither and a short while later I bought three in a yard sale for $2.00. I put batteries in them and two of them worked. I don't leave batteries anymore.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Check with both Maglite and the battery manufacturer before sending a corroded Maglite to anyone. Seems like the policies change every few years.

A couple of years ago I got LED replacement bulb units for my 3-D cell maglite and the difference in brightness and distance the beam is visible is amazing. I got mine from Amazon, 30-something dollars for two conversion kits. Highly recommended, and they will work on either a 2- or 3-cell light.

Boolit Buddy
    Any device that use batteries is subject to corrosion. I have had batteries corrode EVEN when they were still in the package and had NEVER been used. Cheaper batteries are the worse, but name brands do corrode. My solution is when I am not going to using the device is to remove the battery or batteries and place them in a ziplock with the device. Having ruined cameras, flashlights, red dots and numerous devices, batteries are cheap and are disposable. And they can be dangerous, the chemical reaction in a battery is sufficient to cause a fire (had it happen). As for cleanup, a baking soda solution does the job and commercial products can be handy for hard to reach places where you don't want to use water.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Buddy

I recently salvaged a pair of Cobra handheld FRS radios. The old batteries leaked badly and the radios were a mess. White junk from the batteries was all over the battery compartment.

White vinegar to the rescue.

With paper towels, Q-tips and some white vinegar, the battery compartment and battery contacts look new. The radios fired right up. Try white vinegar to clean up after leaky carbon zinc, alkaline and NiCad batteries. The stuff works great!
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Early in my LEO career, we were still required to carry And buy a 3 cell mag light batteries too. The last straw was when I went to use it one night and it was dead , I put fresh batteries in it. Next night same thing, except now they were cemented in from corrosion.
    Bought my first stream light rechargeable stinger and that was that. Now even cheap led lights from wal mart out perform and Outlast a mag light
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    I bought my last Maglite about 25 years ago. Back when the quality of LEDs got good I started buying Coast LED Lensers. 1" in diameter and 4 1/4" long, they run on 3 AAA batteries and fit in a regular 9mm mag pouch. They light like a full size flashlight and are small enough I always have one with me. Since it's LED it needs 1/10 the batteries.

I just had some Kirkland AAAs go bad. I'm thinking they were 6 years old and were under the seat of the truck in a 44Mag ammo box. Just lost a Fluke voltage probe to an AA. I misplaced the probe then found it too late.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Trouble with LEDs is they prolong battery life to the point of battery failure.

Keyword is "alkaline" so you need acid to neutralize it. Vinegar works well.

I had a $360 circuit board fail due to a battery leak. Vinegar fixed it.

Vendor Sponsor

Har, Eveready sent me a check for $40 to replace 2 mini mags that their batteries destroyed, Duracell wasn't nearly as forthcoming, but they sent me a $5 gift certificate that was more of an insult than anything else so at least I got something. Like I want to go buy $15 worth of Duracells just to use their paltry $5 "gift" ya right. All that did was insure I am an Eveready customer for good now.

Bottom line = if you want to leave your maglite in a vehicle year round, store the batteries in a separate plastic bag and put them back in the bag after each use. Batteries have to vent with changes in temperature so they can't be sealed, and the extreme spread of temps is simply too much to expect to leave the batteries in the maglite full time.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I’ve also had great luck with the $10 knockoffs of lights like SureFire. My dad gave my wife a high end one years ago for Christmas ($120 price point from amazon) and a couple years ago I bought myself a $10 one at 7-Eleven. Only way you can tell the difference is the color of the button, all other parts and features are identical including brightness.

Hers came with a large single battery that’s expensive to replace cause it’s a weird size. Mine takes AAA in an adapter or the large oddball one my wife’s does. I stick to the adapter.
    The odd ball sized battery is actually a very common Li-ion cell, 18650, they are rechargeable. They are the same cells that are in laptop computers and cordless power tools. I bought a flashlight from a vendor at a gun show that like yours came with the AAA adapter, a 18650 cell and charger. I have a lot of 18650 cells and other chargers and have modified other flashlights to use them.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Moderator Emeritus

The newer led minimags have so tight a cylinder that when the batteries swell they are not coming out. The front no longer opens up completely either. Plenty of other flashlights to go with though.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I clean the junk battery messes with Evaporust. Works great and the junk just falls off. Basically use rechargeables only,now. No messes

Boolit Grand Master

There is an awful lot of Maglite hate when it was the batteries that failed.

I'm sure like most, I've used the basic lights available from Maglite, mostly their big D cell ones and their mini mag. Thankfully times have moved on from the 1990's, and better designs, and better batteries are an option. I now use the XL50 light daily at work, and it is a fantastic light. Work provides AAA's for free, which I replace every couple weeks or so. I've had that light for 3 years now, and it is every bit as good as new except some scuffs. I'm a machine technician, working on CNC's and die cast machines, but also do quite a bit of fabricating, and other odd jobs. I've had this light at the bottom of a 100 gallon hydraulic tank on numerous occasions, as I'm trying to find a fitting that fell into the oil. I've tried a few of the top brands out there, but nothing has ever stood up to Maglite for reliability and durability. The worst was the most expensive, a Surefire that I cracked the housing on the first time I rolled over it, which is a daily occurrence for a maintenance tech.

Now if you are looking for something to have and forget, you are looking in the wrong area with a basic AAA. Try something like their mag tac, which uses a modern lithium battery. I've had one mounted on my shotgun for a couple years now. They hold up to recoil, and don't seem to degrade over time. At least they don't turn into a battery explosion like alkaline batteries can.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 07-28-2020 at 02:09 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I had good luck with maglite I had 6 junk aa and AAA mini maglites I boxes them up and send them in and got 6 new ones

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    The same thing happened to me about 10 years ago with a 6-cell mag lite I had. Couldn't get it out no matter what I tried. Bought my first Surefire and never looked back!
    DITTO! Every Maglite I've ever had succumbed to leaking alkalines, especially the bigger ones. Hundreds of $$ ruined. Except the one I converted to Li-Ions back when the only source of them was dismantling phone batteries; (remember those old "brick" cellphones?) It got stolen.

Now I'm 100% Li-Ion/LED. Wouldn't take a Maglite as a gift.

But to answer the O.P.'s question, I used sandpaper on a stick to clean corrosion out of Maglites before I gave up on them.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

After inheriting an estate I have more than a dozen mini-Mag lights and a number of them had corroded batteries. I cleaned, sanded, and lubricated them all (with Vaseline). I have had only two that wouldn't light again. No matter what I try, they fail. I kept their useful remnant parts for spares (idk why).

Batteries, especially alkaline, have not significantly improved over time. I am not saying manufacturer's aren't trying for substantial alkaline improvements, but in the meantime they're raking in profits. Batteries remain problematic and are infused into everything used in a daily life.

"Chip" batteries are in computers, watches, Tablets, cell phones, hearing aids, blood pressure monitors (AA and AAA), and FIL's new pace maker, (sheesh, I am getting "up there" in age too). Thinking around the house, there are batteries in the wife's rechargeable tooth brush, shaver, alarm clocks, smoke detectors, mp3 player, hand held calculators, weather monitors, gun safe combination keypad, chronograph, lasers, range finder, trail cameras, hand held cameras, digital security cameras, each automobile and truck, and both blister pack and stockpiles of replacements.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I only had one battery failure take out a Mini-Mag. I tried, but I just couldn't get it cleared and functional again. I already had several others, each fitted with a tail piece button and LED bulbs. I carried one on my duty belt, had one in each car, and in the saddle bags of the MC. I started out carrying the 2 cell D Mag-Lite on my belt before the Mini-Mag came out, but stopped carrying the big light after I promoted to sergeant. I did keep it with my lunchbox and other gear. A couple of years later, I made lieutenant and stopped dragging it to work but had it in my car.

Before I retired, I joined our version of 'SWAT' and switched lights. I made a belt clip that used a picatinny rail and mounted a better flashlight in a holder that was designed for a rail on either the carbine or the pistol. I could use the light as a flashlight or as a weapon lighting system, with a much longer battery life than typical weapon lights. Between LED bulbs, and modern rechargeable batteries I could go all month without recharging but generally charged each week. I still love the Mag-Lite products I own, they just stopped being my duty light, and became my tool box lights.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    If the stuck batteries are Duracell brand, send the whole thing to Duracell. They’ll fix it for free, or send you a check to buy a new flashlight with.

I’ve had Duracell batteries destroy several flashlights over the last few years. Their batteries are junk nowadays. I’ve even had them leak in the package, unused.
    Yep. I no longer buy Duracell after having a set destroy a D-cell Maglite. I've also experienced them ruining other various electronic devices they are left in for about a year. Even in a low humidity environment, they will start to leak. I buy only Eveready now.

As for flashlights, I have had good luck with the Surefire G2 I mounted on my hiking carbine. In my SUV, I have a cheap Chinese rechargeable light that has worked the last couple of times I've used it. Before it, I bought another cheap Chinese light that lasted a few months then started having issues. The current one has gone a year and been used a few times and is holding up. If I were a rich man, I would have Surefire lights everywhere.

The light on my kitchen counter used for investigating bumps in the night is a 3-cell Maglite with the LED bulb and a green body and black head since it is a conglomerate from the ruined Maglite and a non LED light.

Ironically, the tiny pocket light with the S&W M&P logo on it that my brother gave me for Christmas last year throws out nearly as much light.

Attachment 265421
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy

Duracell are the worst batteries I've ever experienced. Below are two reasons why. Leakage and reversed polarity.

“If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12