Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Has anyone shot the 8mm 225 gr Lee bullet without GC in the 8x58RD?

Boolit Master

Has anyone shot the 8mm 225 gr Lee bullet without GC in the 8x58RD?

Just wondering. The 8x58R Remington is shooting the 180GC' with great accuracy. I shot a few of the 225/.325's lubed and without a gas check, shot dang near as good as the 180's. I have gas checks on the way. I am shooting the 180's with the load for the 225 gr slugs, 25 grs of Imr-4198. Their may be a issue with the load, as my bullets I cast, weigh on average 243 grs, do you think this would be ok with this weight bullett.

Boolit Master

I tried it but didn't have much luck. With the GC and 4759 it shot great groups.
    If you need some 325GCs I think that I have some left. The operative word is THINK, I'll have to check when I get home.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Thanks, but I have 1000 on the way, appreciate the offer. My bore mikes out at .323 land to land, I was thinking of leaving the bullet the .325 diameter, what do you guys think.

Boolit Master

I don't think it would be a problem, try it and see. I sized mine at .325 but I don't remember what the dimensions were on mine, but I normally size .001 over anyway.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    I use the NOE .326 252 grain RN over 5744 powder in my Rolling Block with great results. Other bullets shot pretty well, but even better with this bullet—sized .324 and seated to just cover the lube groove (really long)-which goes a long way to fill the very long “throat” and almost reach the start of the rifling lands.

I would suggest trying seating that Lee bullet out To as long an OAL length as possible per my experience.

This combination shoots so well that I acquired an 8x58RD takeoff barrel cheap on eBay and plan to fit it to a Contender barrel stub with chamber cut to 32-40.