Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 722 in .308

Banned

Remington 722 in .308

I am not a big Remington fan boy, but they've had a few things over the years I've really liked, one of them being the 721/722 series of rifles. I don't own one and only ever had one for any length of time, but I like them.

One turned up in a store close by today in .308. I was of the impression that the .308 didn't come on the scene until close to the end of the production run for these rifles, and can't remember ever seeing one before. How uncommon are these chambered in .308?

Not uncommon. Great rifle. I'll modify that statement somewhat by saying that since they went out of production years ago, and are still popular, they're all becoming less common.

Remington 722's were manufactured in .308 Win from 1956 (shortly after the introduction of the .308) to the model's discontinuation in 1962, so I would think that they're not all that uncommon.

Today, they're not very common though - considering that the last one was made almost 60 years ago.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

I see them pretty frequently in .30-06 and .270, they seem to turn up all the time. I see more in .300 Savage than most other calibers they were chambered in. Honestly cannot recall ever handling a .308.

I really don't need it, but it was priced pretty decently for what it is. I have been casually on the lookout for one in .222 and/or .244 Remington for a while, just don't need another .308 bolt gun.

I’ve had several 3006 m721s only one 270 and 244. I have my uncles 722 in 222Rem. It’s low round count gun. He didn’t load and went groudhogging 2 or 3 times a summer. I got the gun in
    1980 and loaded for it but I was running several varmit guns at the time which took most of the use. I took Bushnell off and put a K12 Weaver on it. It’s a deadly 300yd gun.

Boolit Master

I have (2) 722's a .222Remington and .257Roberts they are both accurate. If I every found one in .308 I would buy it!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    I'm also a lover of old style rifle. Ive a 222 Magnum that may be the most accurate rifle in my fairly long history of shooting. Also bought a pristine 300 Sav 722 a couple years back and its become my favorite deer getter.

To me the 721-722 come up to the shoulder and provide better balance than any other design
    Last edited by Yellowhouse; 07-22-2020 at 08:04 PM. Reason: error

USMC 77, USRA 79

i have one in 308... and love it
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 722 in 222 rem and it is a very accurate rifle, also have 2 721's a 30.06 and a 257 R AI and they are both fine rifles also. supposedly the 257 has a barrel made by PO Ackley himself. it is very accurate with the lighter bullets, do not know the twist.
    Barry

Boolit Master

I have my Gramps 722 in 222 Rem. He mounted a 12x Unertl. I learned to shoot and reload with that gun. No telling how many woodchucks it sent over before I got it. He shot a lot of targets chasing the one holer, and made it on several occasions. 45gr Sierras over 21.5 grns 4198. It really has a big throat now and I have thought of a new barrel. maybe

Clean and Simple. I miss the 30-06 721 I had. The 700 ADL I replaced it with was good, but the 721 shouldered better. I would love to have a 722 .244 Rem. to play with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I hunted with my grandfather's 721 in 270 for yyyyyeeeeaaaarrrsss. Loved it!! My brother ended up with it somehow, but I have an identical that I paid $95 for 3 years ago. Still love it! My youngest (9) claimed it as his own when he went sub-moa with it this spring. Wonderful rifles!!!! Well.... unless you hunt in sub-zero weather - the firing pin gets sticky. Remedy is to disassemble the bolt and lube with silicone lubricant. A really nice bull taught me that 30ish years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Before you get too excited, be aware that the extractor for the 721/722/725 is a long obsolete part, and there is no readily available replacement. A bad extractor typically means a rather expensive conversion to a "Sako" or M16 version. Ask me how I know.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Before you get too excited, be aware that the extractor for the 721/722/725 is a long obsolete part, and there is no readily available replacement. A bad extractor typically means a rather expensive conversion to a "Sako" or M16 version. Ask me how I know.
    I have to say that I have found it quite easy to smith these. Remington keeps parts, and they have referred me to other options when they have not had my request.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Here in coastal Alaska, when I arrived closing in on 50 years ago, the 722 in various calibers like .222 was the favorite seal rifle. Then the federal government took all marine mammal authority away from the state, so now people have to be part native or indian to shoot seals. The 721 in .300 H&H was sometimes called the 'poor man's Weatherby' here at that time. I have a 722 in .222, which my father bought slightly used in about 1955 from an LGS for $60, paying $5 from time to time until the $60 was accumulated. Sea otters have recently come back in big numbers, and some commercial fisheries are distressed as a result, but only certain people can harvest them under federal law; that 722 would be ideal for them, and if non-natives and non-indians could harvest even one a year those commercial fisheries would soon recover. Not all that long before I arrived here the feds paid a bounty on seals, eagles and certain other animals that were believed to impact salmon populations.

USMC 77, USRA 79

222 would be a perfect sea otter killing machine... too bad they have totally destroyed the crab, clams, mussels, and so forth on my side of the island here on Prince of Wales island..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I forget what guys name was but he was one of early thrill killers in Kansas or Oklahoma. He talked girl into coming with him after killing her father. They made a movie about it. In real life he used a Rem 722 in 300sav as murder weapon.

In the movie” Cool hand Luke”- didn’t “ The man with no eyes”( prison guard) use a Remington 722 to shoot the snake from Luke’s hand and later kill Luke with? Seems like it was but.......

The Savage 99 in 22 Savage hi-power was suppose to be big medicine on seals. Head shot would wipe out their computer chip preventing them from sliding back in water. I guess it was around a got bit before 222 Rem.

Boolit Master
    I've seen only one PO Ackley rifle, and his name was engraved on the barrel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast