Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 55 Powder Measure - Anyone know the drop tube threading?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 55 Powder Measure - Anyone know the drop tube threading?

Hello gents,

I bought a vintage lyman 55 off of the ebays and I would like to create a custom drop tube funnel to it with my 3D printer.

Mine is the grey version, from what I would guess is the 80's?

The drop tube is threaded, looking like this:

Does anyone know what the threading of the end of the drop tube would be? Or have a guess? I'm not going to have a chance to get to the hardware store until the weekend and even a guess would help with designing something in cad.

Boolit Master

The threads are the same as the 310 dies.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    Lyman used to sell an adapter to 7/8-14 thread, I sure could use one too to screw the 55 right into the powder through expander die

Banned
    That ,is an odd ball thread. If you want a tap and die, figure $200+

Commonly called 5/8" thread, it is not. Actual size is .6075" x 30 tpi.

Boolit Buddy
    with my 3d printer i can CAD then print any standard imperial or metric threads. So no need to buy adapters or dies/taps.

So if I can get close enough with one of the preset threads in autocad, then I can tweak to get it good to go.

I guess if I am not able to match the threads well enough I can 3d print my funnel with a correct ID tube that uses a set screw.

So far, upgrading the 55 has been pretty easy. Given how little powder the 55 holds, I figure a baffle in necessary.
    While designing one it was really easy to just turn the baffle into a large powder hopper that nearly doubles the powder capacity of the 55. I should have made the portion of the 3D printed hopper above that is outside/above OEM plastic hopper flare out into a wider cylinder, but I already printed it.

In the bottom of the hopper is an integrated baffle.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is the thread profiles I have access to. Do you guys see anything that I should use as a starting point?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    That ,is an odd ball thread. If you want a tap and die, figure $200+

Commonly called 5/8" thread, it is not. Actual size is .6075" x 30 tpi.

I have the TAP, the die is a special order buy. I haven't found enough need to spend the $200 to get a die.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    Could you print the whole drop tube with size and threads you need ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Could you print the whole drop tube with size and threads you need ?
    GENIUS!!

Perfect solution. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest from the trees, eh? Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Boolit Master
    Your welcome , I am a tree guy to and sometimes I need to be poked to change direction

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Measure the thread and chase it on a regular lathe.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Unless you are going to mount it on a press why thread it at all. If you are going to mount it a press it would be standard die thread.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    Unless you are going to mount it on a press why thread it at all. If you are going to mount it a press it would be standard die thread.
    ^^^ What he said! ^^^ Why do all that work to make a part that will then be harder to use? Unless you are going to mount your 55 on a Lyman TruLine Jr, those threads would be at best inconvenient, but likely useless and problematical. If you really want a drop tube with the original threads, I’ve probably got a few spares laying around.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

OMG that baffle/extension would be awesome! I have longed for an adapter that would allow the 55 to be mounted on the steel arm of the RCBS powder measure stand that then would take the screw in RCBS powder drop tubes.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks MattW. I will put the STL file on thingaverse as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

And the reason I want my 3D printed drop tube threaded is so I can add adapters to the drop tube.

The current drop tube will not allow me to put a 223 case under it and throw powder, I have to use a funnel as well as the case. So why not design a drop tube that negates that?

doing threads with 3D printing is a piece of cake. As long as you know the specs of the threads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    Thanks MattW. I will put the STL file on thingaverse as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

And the reason I want my 3D printed drop tube threaded is so I can add adapters to the drop tube.

The current drop tube will not allow me to put a 223 case under it and throw powder, I have to use a funnel as well as the case. So why not design a drop tube that negates that?

doing threads with 3D printing is a piece of cake. As long as you know the specs of the threads.
    Could you post a link to it here when you get it figured out?

Boolit Grand Master
    The part of the original drop tube that actually fits into the bottom of the measure is a straight sided tube with a divot or groove for the lock screw... what comes below is of no interest since you want to make an adaptor around that part anyway... so design the bottom that you need then put the shank on top to fit the socket in the measure. Don't get hung up on the design of the lower portion since you already know you would have to adapt around it anyway, right?

BTW, the offer still holds for an original small diameter drop tube if you are determined to start from an original tube to do your project, although I'm still not sure why you would want to.

Froggie

Boolit Bub
    I turned a small piece of aluminum to hold my #55 in a redding stand. I also made it accept RCBS extended drop tubes. It is held in the stand with 2 small set screws.

Boolit Master
    The adaptors are on ebay. Lyman still has #55 parts. Call. Website not right.

Boolit Grand Master
    By the way, Negster’s post reminded me... the original, first production #55s came first with steel, then with aluminum (or do I have it backwards?) unthreaded drop tubes! They were intended to attach to the bench or a shelf above it with the built in clamp. In fact, I used the predecessor, the #5, on the bench a lot of times, just clamped to a bracket on my scope stand, those measures had a smaller diameter drop tube and were smooth on the outside all the way down.

Froggie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast