Thread: Reloading extra heavy 46-555VG considerations

Reloading extra heavy 46-555VG considerations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46-555VG-D.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	265105
    Evening Gents
    a Close friend just acquired the Accurate Mould 46-555VG as pictured. and I must say it casts a beautiful bullet.
    He intends to hunt with it and wants a load that can maximize the potential of the bullet and Marlin 1895 rifle

Here is the question.
    Given the immense size of the pill there is not alot of case capacity left when loaded to the crimp grove for the Marlin 1895 (also his new gun). Whilst I have extensive reloading experience and many years with the 45/70 I just wanted to see if any others have used this Pill in Smokless loads.
    Where you started and maybe the velocities you ended up with when you finished your development.
    Did you start with a faster powder (4198 or similar) or slow for caliber powder (4895 or similar)? Did you run into any issues with either?
    I know some people get finicky about sharing load data so I'm not asking for anything other than a safe starting load with this enormous bullet. We will safely work up using all necessary precautions.

By my measurement there is only Approx 1.050 inches of powder capacity left in a full 2.100 case. I had a friend run some data through Quick load but it he doesnt really understand Cast bullets and 45/70's that much.
    Thats not much and I can see we may run out of capacity long before we gain satisfactory velocity (maybe 1400-1500.)
    So over to you, please let me know you thoughts on starting out with this beast to get the best out of it.
    Regards Russ4570

Boolit Master
    I have shot 550-555 grain bullets in a Marlin and RL 7 is your friend. It is easy to duplicate Garrett's 550 grain load safely.
    I won't divulge the charge weight but starting at 30 grains is okay. Starting at 28 grains is okay too for more leeway for safety as I didn't use that bullet. I used a different bullet.
    1500 fps is doable or slightly north of that number is doable.
    I used Starline and Winchester cases with CCI 200 primers.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 07-22-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    wow, that's what Owen Grady needed in his SBL in jurassic world.

That's not a Pill. It's a suppository!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk