Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: M1 Carbine and Lee 309-113-F Results

M1 Carbine and Lee 309-113-F Results

I've been wanting an M1 Carbine for years, so in typical fashion, I wait until prices skyrocket to get one!

This is one of the examples recently imported from Ethiopia by Royal Tiger Imports. I bought a "base" model which was supposed to be a run-of-the-mill Inland and wound up getting one produced by Standard Products with an Underwood barrel. I know next to nothing about these rifles, but piddled with it a little, getting the barrel snug in the handguard and the trigger down to 5 1/2 lbs., albeit a mushy 5 1/2 lbs.

I started with an inexpensive Lee mould just to see if it would shoot cast. I cast up a bunch of ACWW, applied some old brass Lyman checks and lubed them with TAC-1. Loaded over 14.0 grs. of H110 they averaged 1942 fps, which is just about what I wanted.

I finally found time to shoot some this evening after work and am pretty well pleased with the results. The first shot at 100 yds. hit just about dead center although an inch or so below POA. the next two went low right, followed by seven that clustered around the first shot. The whole group was about 5.5" - 6". Take away shot #2 and #3 and it's around 4". POI was 2.5" - 3" below POA.

I loaded ten more to try at my 200 yd. gong. Since POI @ 100 was low at the 100 yd. sight setting, I figured the 250 yd. setting would be appropriate for 200 yds. This 10 shot group ran about 9.5" centering around 6" below POA.

The rounds out of the left side of the magazine tended to jam, but I found if I held upward pressure on the magazine as I shot, they fed perfectly.

All in all I'm really pleased with the rifle and especially the fact that the first cast load I tried grouped almost as well as PRVI factory ammo. I'm thinking now I may look for a Lyman 311359 mold and an RCBS 30-115-SP.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I like that carbine and that's the bullet I use in ours. I think it will work on hogs I just haven't tried it- yet. Ain't the Carbine fun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    i shoot the same boolit with 12 grains of 2400. 15 grains of 1680 also works well. I don't use a gas check, but PC the whole boolit. I tried with and without the GC and accuracy didn't seem to suffer without it.
    Love the M1 carbine!

My M1 carbine is the Florida built Universal. I'm into it for about $350 worth of trade goods. I like the Lee C309-120-R. Same bullet as the 113 but round nose instead of flat. 10.3gr. of N-110 cycles the action with no problem and is as accurate as any other load I've tried. I've also had good results with H-110 and IMR 4227. Gp

Boolit Master
    I forget the mold numbers but I ran a 130 lyman plain base at around 1600fps out of my rock ola. Group as well as most any ammo i have used. Carbines are not know for their stellar accuracy for sure. Minute of Sr black is a good start.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    I forget the mold numbers but I ran a 130 lyman plain base at around 1600fps out of my rock ola. Group as well as most any ammo i have used. Carbines are not know for their stellar accuracy for sure. Minute of Sr black is a good start.
    Some M1 carbines are easy to get "stellar accuracy" out of.

My M1 Carbine at 100 yards;
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Some M1 carbines are easy to get "stellar accuracy" out of.

My M1 Carbine at 100 yards;
    I agree some shoot well, especially with the right ammo.
    My inland will hold 10 ring when my eyes agree with me

Boolit Buddy
    Carbines are awesome and some will shoot very well.

This is my Universal and it can be quite accurate but the trigger pull is like 12 pounds.

If I could manage that trigger better I bet I coulda centered all ten rounds.

Note the 243 round in place of the Oiler.

It came to me like that, no telling how long it’s been in there and don’t have any interest in swapping it out.

The old guy I bought it from couldn’t remember when he administrated they field expedient replacement but I figured I’d leave it till it’s passed on to the next owner.

Boolit Master
    The carbine is a great cast boolit platform. The slow twist helps i think at least getting them to velocity with out exceeding the RPM threshhold.

I purchased a group buy NOE 120 rain flat point 6 cavity mold.
    It works great I’m my M1 carbine and 32/20 Marlin.
    Can our government survive the next 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by ELFEGO BACA View Post
    I purchased a group buy NOE 120 rain flat point 6 cavity mold.
    It works great I’m my M1 carbine and 32/20 Marlin.
    Which bullet, exactly, is this one?

Thanks

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    First cartridge rifle I shot was a Winchester carbine my uncle Charlie Little sent home from Italy during the war . He broke it down and shipped the parts to my pap . I hunted with it for a few years before he decided he wanted it back , really missed it when it was gone . I had a Sgt at Ft Campbell that would fill a lunch box with carbine ammo or .38 spl to keep me shooting every time he got a chance .

Current carbine is a Rock Ola , all matching . My FIL got it from the DCM in the 60's for $15 . Him and his brother in law both got one at the same time but Mike had his chrome plated and custom stocked while the FIL only rubbed in a couple of coats of oil on the one I got . Good shooter but I have never shot any cast in it . Probably need to get a mold and try that .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    I think the carbine is the most under-rated gun ever.
    Anyways, the factory load is about 110gr bullet at 2000fps.
    2000fps is a easy speed for cast, and many molds available in that weight range, maybe even .32 pistol molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was all set to sell my Universal (bought on a whim and never shot) and started thinking...it would make a good home defense gun. Too many other things on the "to-do" list right now but I will be looking into wringing it out. If I can get a 4 MOA load it is all I need.

Has anyone used this bullet?
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...nter-100-count
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I was all set to sell my Universal (bought on a whim and never shot) and started thinking...it would make a good home defense gun. Too many other things on the "to-do" list right now but I will be looking into wringing it out. If I can get a 4 MOA load it is all I need.

Has anyone used this bullet?
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...nter-100-count
    I've loaded the Speer HP; pretty accurate bullet but it doesn't feed at all in my Carbines.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried coated bullets in their carbines. I'm accumulating supplies to start reloading for ours and thought about using coated cast.

I haven’t yet, Cargo. But the next batch I cast up I think I will.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be interested in hearing how they perform for you.