Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Rubbing Alcohol As Powder Cleaner?

Boolit Grand Master

Rubbing Alcohol As Powder Cleaner?

Handloader August 2020 pg 40.

In an article on the 7mm Mag, John Barness states during testing that "...I did not bother cleaning the bore except by swabbing with a few patches soaked in rubbing alcohol to knock back the slight powder fouling.."

First I've heard of using rubbing alcohol to do this. Anyone else try this method?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Ive tried it as a bore cleaner and was not impressed. I do use it as a follow up to Sweets 7.62 to swab out the ammonia.

Boolit Buddy

Rubbing Alcohol as a bore cleaner??

Stores sell two formulas 70% and 90%......that is 30% or 10% water. I won't be trying that one on my guns. afish4570

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by afish4570 View Post
    Stores sell two formulas 70% and 90%......that is 30% or 10% water. I won't be trying that one on my guns. afish4570
    We have 2 cases of 90% I picked up for making black powder.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Alcohol as in moonshine grade was used as ordnance cleaner , I have used rubbing alcohols to clean oil and powder residue from gun cleaning brushes , and have ran it through a bore to clean out one cleaner before trying something else , it did not hurt but it is not a hoppes number 9 or eds red .

As to what percentage of water it dries pretty fast and has caused no issues , when I am done cleaning it is a light oil on a patch anyway .

I keep several bottles around for different uses , works great for the brushes , and for what he was using it for as cleaning little powder between shots it would work and quick to dry so not going to introduce any issues or variation , so as to stated articles use it should be fine.

Works great as a lubricant when inserting a power cord through a rubber grommet or strain relief when repairing a power tool.
    I have also used it as a lubricant when drilling holes in aluminum.

Banned

I can get 99% isopropyl alcohol here in south Texas. I've used it to swab cap n ball revolvers!

Boolit Master
    I got 99% in a 4-pack at Costco.
    R.D.M.

I use the 70% for finish clean my guns and it dry fast for all the years i use it ,I have not had any problems with rust from it . I oil after use and for the bore since I shoot mainly cast in my ,I past a swab of JPW in it .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afish4570 View Post
    Guess the old water-based GI bore cleaner is out too, then. And Balistol. I have been using plain old water to do an initial cleaning after shooting corrosive-primed ammo for decades. I haven't had a rusty bore yet. Just saying.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Banned

Lots of the black powder guys use it as it attracts water. They want to get all traces out of theor bores after cleaning.

And it is a solvent. Why do you think all the cars injectors clogged up after it was mandated as a fuel supplement.

When I have a very dirty bore, and I want to get it clean as a whistle; I clean with Hopes 9 until the patch doesn't have dirt. Then I switch to alcohol until the dirt stops showing on the patch. Then I'll go with penetrating oil until the patch doesn't show dirt, then I go back to Hopes 9 starting the process all over again, until no dirt shows up with any solvent.