Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sure is mighty difficult to find empty shotguns hulls... Y

Boolit Master

Those bananas are just how I like them, ready to get freckles.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Those bananas are just how I like them, ready to get freckles.

Boolit Master

Every week we throw out hundreds of hulls at our club. Most are Federals, but remington hulls are common too. I don't pick up hulls these days since I have a 30 gal. can of WAA gray hulls, once fired. At my age, those should last the rest of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I just swing by a large trap range, they are happy to let me take all I can carry for free. only problem is a lot are rio hulls and need the metric primers.
    I learned something today.

Boolit Master
    Should be a lot of Remington Gun Clubs; they are excellent and last forever...

Banned

Oldest son and I just went to the trap range and shot 50 rounds each. I shoot a 16, but he was using a 12 and I just bought a couple of hundered Federal shells at Wal Mart for him cheap. We picked up the empties, but most guys dump them. The club there sells some of the better quality ones in 20 and 12 but actually for what they ask for them, it hardly seems worth picking them up they're so cheap.

If I were just shooting 20 or 12 gauge trap, I wouldn't bother. A hundred pack of Federal 1 1/8 loads of 7 1/2 shot was about twenty bucks. Almost can't buy the shot for that.

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of hulls for the 12 , 20 , 28 and 410 . I have a pretty good supply of 16 gauge hulls . About 1600-2000 10 gauge hulls and around 250-300 8 gauge hulls at the moment with the promise off 500 new ones coming from Precision . The 12-20-28 and 410 hulls were easy to come by and ALL are either AA’s or STS’s mostly acquired as once fired . My 16 gauge hulls came from me buying flats of new REM and WIN shells and I’ve got perhaps 5,000 . My 10 gauge hulls came from me buying brand new unfired hulls from Precision then cutting them in my jig on the bandsaw to 2 7/8” . The 8’s have come from several sources I use WIN for folded crimp 8’s and REM for roll crimped 8’s . If you’ve been in the shotgun games much and I have for over thirty years it’s a piece of cake to acquire good skeet and trap hulls all four gauges , the other three you have to work at but I know enough people that I can usually find what I’m after . So my suggestion to you is spend time at skeet and or trap fields . You might not get them for free but usually someone will help you out . And no I don’t typically sell hulls and why would I ? I spent time looking for them !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

They dump them cause reloading them cost way more than buying them new.

However I pick all theirs up and make ii to slugs, buckshot and round ball loads. The normal Shotgun shooter cares nothing about those type of loads! Great for me!!!!!!!

Boolit Master

A couple of months ago I picked up 2200 primed Rio hulls for $99.00. It will take me quite a while to use them but I could not pass up that price.

Boolit Master
    Ballistic Products have once fired Win AA on sale for 7 cents each if you buy 500.

Boolit Mold
    Anyone try using lead fishing sinkers for buckshot?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Anyone try using lead fishing sinkers for buckshot?
    they are a mite to soft and will deform on the way out causing a bad flight pattern, but in a pinch for close range they would work.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

The only things I use them for are fishing and making "Bruce B" softpoints.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    In the last couple weeks I’ve loaded over 5,000 12 gauge REM STS hulls with 9’s , 8 1/2’s , 8’s and 7 1/2’s . In 1 1/8 , 1 and 7/8 ounce . Last Thursday I picked up half a case of CB 3/4 ounce 12 wads I wanna give a go with 7/8 ounce in them . I’ve got about 3500 once fired 12 AA’s I might try and load before I stop and go to the 410 . Wish I had 5-10 thousand more 12 STS hulls .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    My son and I have gotten back to shooting some skeet competitions. I’ve cycled thru all my loaders getting a couple flats in each for practice. I agree on the STS hulls, gun clubs are great too. As bad as it hurts me, I dump the new AAs unless somebody wants them. They are all over the place on length and I ain’t sorting them. Loaded 2 flats of 7/8 oz 12s in 8 1/2 for me to use in doubles and 12. They are put up in Federal papers, love the smell!

We shot 15 boxes yesterday, had a ball. Going to a shoot with my son and two of his college team mates in September, should be great. All but one are out and working, found out how life gets in the way of shooting! The one still in school got to go to the Masters last weekend, while the other reported to work! He won doubles and 20, one bird out of HOA and dropped 4th in HAA. Really miss having 25 year old eyes!

This is the first time I have actually shot a tubed OU, to any extent. Have always liked playing with the vintage stuff, but I see why skeet shooters like them. Besides, I don’t have to pick up hulls off the ground with it! Well, unless others litter the ground with their unwanted 410s

There went a squirrel, meant to post that the 3/4 oz wads load a very good 3/4 oz load for breaking skeet and ATA singles. I use Tite wad and they feel like 410s but break targets well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12