Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sure is mighty difficult to find empty shotguns hulls... Y

Sure is mighty difficult to find empty shotguns hulls... Y

Man trying to get started in reloading 12 gauge. But it's impossible to find supplies right now. Especially, empty shotgun shells. Anyone know if the winchester AA loads can be used with Winchester AAHS "High Strength" hulls. Those are the only ones I can find right now in stock. Every place is sold out on empty hulls... And I am in CA so I can't order loaded ammo.

When you speak of Winchester "AA loads" I assume you are referring to the old Winchester CF (compression formed) one piece hulls. Anyway, the new HS hulls use the same data as the CF hulls. However the 12 gauge HS hulls have slightly less volume. Depending on your recipe you may want to go with a shorter wad. I use the Downrange DRA series of wads when loading HS hulls. Truth be told I'd only load Remington hulls if I had a large enough supply.

Maybe you're looking in the wrong places?

Cap'n Morgan

Ballistics Products, you can find all kinds of hulls, fairly reasonably. Once fired, new, primed.

From 20 cents each down to 8 cents ea in bags of 100.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/12.../products/104/

ps Rio primed new hulls were 11 cents ea. Up a bit from when I bought several bags. But not that much.

8 cents for a once fired, vs 11 cents for a new, primed, I'll take the new primed every time. Just need to find the right wad to go with that hull.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I just swing by a large trap range, they are happy to let me take all I can carry for free. only problem is a lot are rio hulls and need the metric primers.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Check out this place. Always done me right,

https://sites.google.com/site/papcharlieshulls/

Get's a huge influx of hulls from the ranges on the weekends and usually can take care if your needs quickly./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Thanks beagle!
    Good info.

Yeah I don't understand why something that you can find literally on the ground like dirt at shooting ranges is so hard to pay people money for... A shortage on primers or wads would make a little more sense. Or maybe, me and like 20 million other people decided to buy a cheap LEE 12 gauge reloading press. I noticed that I can get a hold of RIO hulls with primers. The RIO load charts just say RIO hull. Are all Rio Hulls the same no mention of length or anything else.
    Last edited by ell198679; 07-21-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    Maybe you're looking in the wrong places?

Now that's doing a little shooting .
    Do a Google search on once fired shotgun hulls / shells you will find plenty .

Boolit Master
    Every Rio hull I have ever seen was the same id, some have taller or shorter base wads. If you are having to buy 12ga hulls you can’t even break even on loading target loads. If you are loading heavy hunting loads, go to a skeet/trap range and ask to dumpster dive, better yet join up.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Check with a local Trap Club, they likely will give them to you.

Boolit Master
    I once mentioned to a buddy that I needed to order some more once fired shotgun hulls , a week or so after he dropped off 2 30 gallon trash cans full of 12 gage hulls , most of which were the new stile Winchester AA hulls .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Check out this place. Always done me right,

https://sites.google.com/site/papcharlieshulls/

Get's a huge influx of hulls from the ranges on the weekends and usually can take care if your needs quickly./beagle
    Nice pricing

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kenblacksmith View Post
    Check with a local Trap Club, they likely will give them to you.
    This. Club I belonged to would have garbage pails full of em. Yea you have to sort trash but after a few bags you will have enough

Banned

+1! Thats what I did when I started reloading shot shells, they had/have 55 gallon trash cans with tons of hulls. As Mr. Wolf said, I had to sort through some trash but it's worth it.

Boolit Master
    some of the guys on here sell them 2 to 5 cents apiece,some with boxes,just ask in the sell post

CL 811812 - Claybuster 12 Ga. Remington Fig 8 Replacement 1-1/8 oz. (500 Wads)12.47
    HL R12UL8S - Once-Fired Remington 12 Ga. 2-3/4" Metallic Green STS Unibody Hulls with 8 pt. Crimp (100 Hulls) 2 10.5 21
    WN WP209 - Winchester 209 Shotshell Primers (Box of 1,000) 1 36.06 36.06

Probably, paid too much for the hulls. Sounds like I can get them a lot cheaper on here by just asking people. Those will do for now. I got plenty of green dot. Now the only thing I need is the lead shot. I can probably reload those hulls five times or more and turn them into 1,000 rounds. What size lead shot you guys think will work best? Anyone, here ever turn their reloaded shotshells into wax slugs. I used to do that with shotshells I bought @ Walmart.

Boolit Master
    #4 ,#6 ,& #7 1/2 takes care of most of the critters , but buck & slugs will take care of the rest .
    But to answer your question we need to know what you are planning on shooting at?

Boolit Bub
    I just posted a thread last night trying to raise money to donate to my 3gun club http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-shotgun-hulls

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    If you have a trap or skeet club in you area, that would be the most advantageous. It would provide hulls, practice, fellowship,. In California, it's a possibility that might work. I've been collecting hulls since my first days of joining Flagstaff Trap Club. But, even so I've used Ballistic Products Inc for most all my wads and 30-40% of my other hulls. 50-60% are Winchester AA, the rest are Rio's, Cheddite, Federal plastic and paper.The folks over at BPI are good people. My go to place for 10 gauge and Euro's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast