Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hog's head cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    couldnt hold me down and force it into my mouth:!!
    That's funny.

Let me guess--- you're not a big fan of rocky mountain oysters, or chitterlings either are ya?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

+10 on Winger Eds comments. Mountain Oysters, Turkey Fries, Raw oysters, chitterlings, you're talking my language here.
    Last edited by gbrown; 10-29-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    +10 on Winger Eds comments. Mountain Oysters, Turkey Fries, Raw oysters, chitterlings, you're talking my language here.
    Talking your language ... You relocated Cajun or East Texas Red Neck ?
    Some folks just don't know what good eating is !
    Dined on some sweet char grilled oysters in New Orleans last Sunday ... good !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

You can have my share of hog intestines BLECH! Reek when cooking and they reek when cooked!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Talking your language ... You relocated Cajun or East Texas Red Neck ?
    Some folks just don't know what good eating is !
    Dined on some sweet char grilled oysters in New Orleans last Sunday ... good !
    Gary
    Yeah, down in the marshes, about 20 miles from the Gulf. Not a Piney Wood rooter. Just live with the mosquitoes and hurricanes.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    You can have my share of hog intestines BLECH! Reek when cooking and they reek when cooked!
    I'd heard about them all my life, but never had any.

So,,,, one time I got some, after consulting with a couple folks who claimed to like them.

I couldn't hang with cooking them. Fan in the window blowing outside & all. I couldn't finish the 'preparations' for this delicacy.
    On top of that, I had to listen to a bunch of 'yackety-yak' from Mrs. Winger about how bad they stunk up the house for a couple of days.

Another one I couldn't get down is menudo-- that Mexican soup made from tripe.
    It was like chewing on chunks of pork fat flavored bubble gum.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

If you eat some good menudo, made with chitterlings and hominy, its good. I've had both bad and good. Cooked right, seasoned right, delish. The greasy, thin stuff they try to pass off for menudo is supposed to be THE cure for hangovers. Visualizing that with how I felt, at the time, all I can think of is prayers in front of the porcelain god.

Boolit Master

Winger ed: cooking indoors is great, think of burners and coleman stoves to be used outside.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    if its cut out or cut off when im field dressing it stays for the birds!! Ill eat back straps thank you. You guys that like rocky mountain oysters. Do you prefer them with hair or shaved??

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd heard about them all my life, but never had any.

Another one I couldn't get down is menudo-- that Mexican soup made from tripe.
    It was like chewing on chunks of pork fat flavored bubble gum.
    Sounds like chewing on chicken soup made from 2+ year old layers, when the chickens got too old to lay eggs some of them ended up in the stock pot.

All day simmer and the meat had the consistency of shoe leather, the skin could have been used for vulcanizing inner tube patches. The kind of patch you used the special clamp to hold the patch on with the thermite cup that you placed on top and lit. Just awful stink but those patches held.

Yup, that skin could have been used for those kinds of patches.

But the stock was delicious, and the dumplings were heavenly.

So you fed the skin to the cat and watched it try and chew it up. The cat didn't have any better luck than us kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's funny.

Let me guess--- you're not a big fan of rocky mountain oysters,
    We grew up eating those, before we ever heard the term Rocky Mountain oysters.
    When we were too little to wrestle the calves we were the powder monkeys.
    We'd take them and put them on the branding pot and let them cook til they popped then ate the soft middle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Yeah, down in the marshes, about 20 miles from the Gulf. Not a Piney Wood rooter. Just live with the mosquitoes and hurricanes.
    Piney Woods Rooter ... I haven't heard that reference in a coons age but I think it may be my Momma's side of the family . She came to live with a Cajun Aunt in Louisiana , (my mom's mom passed when she was a little girl and her daddy couldn't take care of all the kids) she grew up and lived in Louisiana, after WWII she met and married my Cajun Dad and so by marriage my mom became Cajun . She could even speak Cajun French .
    I was grown before I knew she was East Texas Piney Woods born ... she didn't talk about that side of the family very much but her older sister, who still lived in E. Texas , was a hoot ...drank beer and cursed like a sailor ... she was my favorite aunt... Piney Woods Rooters , May God Bless Them All !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 11-02-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Some 55+ years ago, I remember my German Grandmother call it 'stoltz', and we ate it cold with a little catsup and fresh rye bread. I learned early on, not to disagree with Grandma, never worked out very good for me? Tom
    Yeah. That is the German version of hog's head cheese. Same concept, very different taste.

Boolit Buddy

Will have to compare this one to my brother's recipe. Always looking for a good hog's head cheese recipe. Now do you have a good boudin recipe?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Piney Woods Rooter ... I haven't heard that reference in a coons age but I think it may be my Momma's side of the family . She came to live with a Cajun Aunt in Louisiana , (my mom's mom passed when she was a little girl and her daddy couldn't take care of all the kids) she grew up and lived in Louisiana, after WWII she met and married my Cajun Dad and so by marriage my mom became Cajun . She could even speak Cajun French .
    I was grown before I knew she was East Texas Piney Woods born ... she didn't talk about that side of the family very much but her older sister, who still lived in E. Texas , was a hoot ...drank beer and cursed like a sailor ... she was my favorite aunt... Piney Woods Rooters , May God Bless Them All !
    Gary
    Yeah, Piney Wood Rooter is definitely a different breed. I've known hundreds of them. If you follow their law, they give you the shirt off their back or help you in any way. Not to their liking, short shrift. Law abiding(except for game or alcohol laws), Bible thumping, Good people. Some fall off the wagon, at times. Good, solid people, just don't like a lot of interference in their way of life. Very clan like. Look up the Shelby County War. Like the Hatfield and McCoys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12