Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: SPP to LPP

Banned

SPP to LPP

Well this isn't actually re-forming but it's seems the best place to ask this question.
    I had bought some Federal ammo for my 6.5 Creedmoor and have shot some of them. As I was cleaning them yesterday I found that unlike the other headstamped cases I have for my Creed, these have small primer pockets. After doing some research I found Federal opted to use Small Rifle Magnum primers instead of Large Rifle primers.
    My question is has anyone here ever attempted to increase the small primer pockets into large primer pockets? The reason I ask is that I can't find ANY small rifle primers, standard or magnum. This isn't any emergency as I have several cases with the large pockets, I was just wondering. The only other possibility would be to trade them even up with someone who has a 6.5 Creedmoor and a supply of small rifle magnum primers.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you will be money and time ahead if you trade for large primer brass instead of trying to cobble a way to convert what you have. Or just wait until you can find small rifle primers.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

I have converted 38 spl to large pistol primers for wax bullet loads also opening flash holes to .105. I had the cutter grinder at work grind a drill the right size for the primers square end with a .105 pilot .250 long and sharpened to a standard drill point. Used a 5 c collet in the lathe and drilled and reamed them in one pass. ( insert case in collet run drill in to stop done).

It can be doe in a drill press with a wood fixture to clamp cases, but the set up is much rougher. And not having the pilot will require 2 passes 1 to open up with drill point then a flat ground to finish bottom.

The holding fixture can be made with 2 pieces of 3/4" X 2" X 3-4" long hard wood and JB weld. finish them by dusting all sides clamped or pined together with table saw. in center drill an over sized blind hole for the case dont break thru bottom. Coat a case with several coats release agent. and do 1 side if blocks to case leave the head above blocks some to make it easy to pull in and out. Align blocks with wax paper between them And do the second side. A couple 1/2" flat washers and shell holder will hold case up to get the portion above, be sure to coat this with release agent also. Fill case mouth with modeling clay or a cut off bullet. When the second block is cured lightly bevel edges and clean up excess.

These can be set in a drill press vise and used to hold case while drilling with our distorting cases. It will set case depth accurately off the shoulder also.

A wilson case trimmer could also be set up to do this but would be hand operation. But here a very short drill flat ground and set into a driver shaft might allow 1 pass. Here the stop set and case holder in 180* clamp and drill. A drill with only 3/16 - 1/4 out may cut fine

Boolit Master
    I’d save it as is, one day you’ll be unable to locate large primers and have a bounty of small. Just the way it seems to go.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I think you will be money and time ahead if you trade for large primer brass instead of trying to cobble a way to convert what you have. Or just wait until you can find small rifle primers.

Robert
    I'm not necessarily going to convert, I have posted them here for trade for the same cases with large primer pockets. I was just interested in what it would take to convert.
    That being said, thank you for the info country gent, I have read many of your posts and you sure seem to know what you're talking about. I would have no problem following your instructions.
    If I don't find any takers on the trade I will bag it and hold onto it till I can get the primers.

I went out and picked up enough boxes of S&B 6.5 CM to replace the Federal cases. I can still use the Federal at the range, and just keep the cases for later.

Boolit Grand Master

You are welcome Tankgunner59. After 35 years as a tool and die maker I enjoy offering help. How many do you have? When I get the shop up and running I could make you the needed shaft cutter for the wilson trimmer. Would be 1 piece with the drill locked in with a set screw.

Several years ago I experimented with converting 22-250, 243, 308 to small rifle primers. In 22-250 and 243 it did show improvements in accuracy and the numbers SD and ES , the 308s were the same or only slightly better. Here I turned small sleeves up and locktite and pressed in 1 day then the next day swaged them to true finished size. Was more work and time for the gain, although the 243 cases did get used for 1000 yd matches. There the improvement did help with the 107 grn JLKs.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I’d save it as is, one day you’ll be unable to locate large primers and have a bounty of small. Just the way it seems to go.
    Bingo ...we have a winner !!!
    Keep them ... you know , one day, sooner or later , the only primers on the shelf will be small ones ... and guess who will have some cases that take those stinking small primers ...you !
    Always leave your options open ....whats plentiful today will be non-existent tomorrow...
    Be Prepared !!!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Most of the long range guys that shoot any 308 based case of any of the Creeds want the small primer version cause they will with stand more pressure before the primerpockets get loose. Think about it there is more metal left in the case head to resist higher pressure.

Boolit Master
    Did I hear something about custom tooling for Wilson Case trimmers mentioned?

Whoa, that perked my ears right up!

CG, I think you are fortunate I do not live close to you. I could be a real PEST!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Just remember Three 44s I might put you to work also. LOL its a 2 way street. And Ive trained a bunch of apprentices over the years. Now seriously, no friend is a pest when they need help.

Im in the process of putting in my hobby shop now. 2 lathes 1- 14x40 7.5 hp 1 - 12 X 40 3 hp, a Bridgeport 2 hp 9 X 48, old 6 X 12 surface grinder, 8" wheel, leeland gifford drill press. Miller multi process welder, several pedestal grinders, and other assorted tools. Was a tool and die maker for 35 years. started at age 15.

ANd yes if you need the spevial shaft for the wilson I will make it and ship to you.