Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
PBcastcoWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: been reloading pistol rounds for years....now i want to do .223

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblacksmith View Post
    Our family has (2) Service rifle competitors, we load 6-8k .223 each year not including hunting. We have found that Winchester brass is good for the price. 7.5 rem primers work (every time). 73gr bergers for short range (2-300) and 80.5 bergers for long range (600). For varminting, 55gr is a good middle ground not the fastest but extends the range a 100 or so yards over the 40gr. We use the cheapo hornady 55gr s.p. Varget powder or CFE223, if you cant find those imr4895 in a pinch. RCBS competition seater makes quick work of dropping the bullets on. Twist rate of 7-8 is best for just about everything. If you are using a bolt gun, buy a bushing die because trimming sucks.
    All great information here and as far as dies go I bought the Lee ultimate 4 piece set #90964 in stock at Amazon $47.99 and includes the updated spline rings(gone are the hard to tighten down hex rings) with integrated orings. The set includes everything including the shell seat, powder Dipper measure and Common load data. As other members here mentioned see Steve’s pages for great load data and enjoy working up loads.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    what do i need ?

dies, head space gauge .....what else?
    If you happen to load for 380 Auto in your handgun needs, you already have a shell holder for the 223.
    RCBS Brand it's the #10
    LEE Brand it's the #4
    Hornady Brand it's the #16
    Redding Brand is also #10

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    what do i need ?

dies, head space gauge .....what else?
    Patience. Lots of it. I load for a variety of rifle and handgun cartridges including .22 Hornet and find .223 to be the most tedious. Granted, I load a LOT more .223 than Hornet. Between the tiny bullets, small case head, small neck, primer pocket crimps and trimming it’s a PITA. I’m well equipped to do it and still find it a pain. A friend well experienced in reloading was loading his .223 on my equipment including a Dillon 650 and after a few hundred rounds he said he didn’t want to ever load .223 again. He was accustomed to loading shotgun, some handgun, .308 and .300 Win Mag.

It’s not terrible; just requires handling lots of small things. Boat tailed bullets help with seating.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

If you want to save yourself a lot of effort, I would highly recommend the Dillon 1500 size/trim setup. It's not cheap, but hand trimming each piece of brass is one of the most tiresome chores in reloading if you want to load in any sort of quantity.

Boolit Master
    Yes I agree with tedious in reference to 5.56 brass and getting around ex-primer crimps!

So I break up my sessions getting my military brass QC’ed, but you only do it once!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    A case gauge is nice to have for rifle reloading. Use it to check your sizing die set up. Also a case trimmer. I have a Little Crow trimmer for .308 and it is slick.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    set your dies to full length size and trim cases .tac is great powder to use,if 1 in 14 twist light bullets only 1 in 9 ok up too 69gr bullets .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12