RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shortage of Caps/Primers

Shortage of Caps/Primers

Has anyone else noticed a shortage of primers/Caps lately ??.....I still have my Tap-a-Cap thank goodness..I managed to get 2000 Remington #11 from Powder Valley but all my regular sources have seemed to have dried up

Rem. 7.5 shortage for sure, keep stock if you shoot LR, HP, Palma.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Theditchman View Post
    Has anyone else noticed a shortage of primers/Caps lately ??.....I still have my Tap-a-Cap thank goodness..I managed to get 2000 Remington #11 from Powder Valley but all my regular sources have seemed to have dried up
    Another reason for Magspark conversion

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Another reason for Magspark conversion
    No bueno for cap & ball revolver.....
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master

everything is flying off the shelf's. when somebody posts about ammo or anything gun related in stock somewhere you better be quick or its gone. glad I panicked early and often.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Had wondered if I would get my 1k CCI #11s I ordered on the gun club book. Just got a call said the order was in and all I did not get was the pound of power pistol I was going to try in 44special. I should be good on caps for a goodly while, I been shooting flint for the last 15 years so much I didn’t pay attention to my cap stash. All this talk about out of stock reminded me to check, thanks to the forum I panicked soon enough
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    "Old Mother Hubbard, went to her cupboard . . . . "

Everything is getting short from what I see . . . .

A number of weeks ago, I decided I had better order primers, caps & powder . . .

I looked on-line on a Sunday night at Graf's at powder I normally use . . . by the next morning when I went to place my order, it was amazing at what had sold out overnight. I wasn't trying to "hoard" - just get some !# containers of Red Dot, H335, etc. I ws able to get a couple of pounds of RD - ended up having to take a 8# jug of both Bulls Eye and H335. It's O.K. as I'll use it up eventually. I was able to get some Large Rifle Primers - 5K - some Small Rifle Primers - no Small Pistol Primers in stock anywhere I have looked and I also bought 1K of 209 primers to convert to them from percussion caps if necessary on one of my rifles. I have looked at a number of the on-line suppliers - same everywhere.

All I see on percussion caps is "out of stock". I finally located some CCI #10 and #11 and ordered them but by now, I'm sure the supplier is out of stock.

I did order BP from Graf's - Graf's BP - in 2F and 3F. I have shot either DuPont or Goes for over 55 years but decided to go with the Graf's as the price was a bit cheaper and it is made by Goex.

Like everyone else - you hate to see prices go up but it's a case of supply and demand as well. Even with the hazmat shipping, the price of the powder and primers - because of the quantity I was able to get - came out better than what I could buy it off the shelf at the majority of dealers.

You limp, it's funny . . . after shooting percussion guns for so long, you expect prices to go up like anything else but for the most part . . . you kind of fool yourself that there will always be a "supply" of them. I just bought a new rifle to set up for target and some play with different projectiles - I debated some over getting a percussion or a flintlock. Things change fast . . and just look at how fast things have changed in the past few weeks. Now I'm seriously thinking about getting a flintlock rifle to have should the shortage of caps and primers continue to be an issue.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 07-21-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    recobstargetshop.com has CCI caps in stock.....

Hazmat's a killer
    Bob

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    That’s the nice thing about gun clubs that place a club order, quantity is large enough that they deliver! Just have to plan ahead and accept it could be next month if you missed the deadline for this month. Cost savings, both hazmat and on lead shot makes it worth it and we get a volume discount as well. I know a few clubs do it, just gotta have a point man that’s willing.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I had to search hard for the "musket caps", 4 winged style and finally found some at Midsouth. Ordered a 1K package. Never will need that many but couldn't see ordering less with the HazMat charge being what it is. I may try to sell about half around here somewhere. james

I was down to a single brick of a thousand #11 caps. I tried three different places to buy some caps and every time the order was cancelled due to lack of stock. I bought the cap maker currently be sold so I would have a means of resupply, but I then found 11 tins lose in a drawer. Guess I am supplied.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Moderator Emeritus

Was reading this thread and started looking myself. Yup nothing. Went to local LGS today and he had one #11 100 tin. I grabbed it.

Boolit Master
    I don't shoot the cap and ball revolvers or cap lock rifles much anymore since caps and powder cost more than loaded ammo.

The only front stuffer I shoot much is my Savage 10ML

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Man
    With home made powder I use the plastic red cap gun caps and they work fine. For hunting I still use #11 CCI but for plinking or small game shooting just the toy caps will do.

Boolit Buddy
    Them new fangled cap guns never will ketch on! Rocklocks win!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    With home made powder I use the plastic red cap gun caps and they work fine. For hunting I still use #11 CCI but for plinking or small game shooting just the toy caps will do.
    I have some of those plastic Red Caps. I know they will light smokeless powder as I put the charge from a few in reformed primers as I prepper kind of exercise. I guess they would light black too.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I will have to get some just to try them out ...they are cheap enough on Evil bay

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't actually try some with a load but did try some out of curiosity. It seems to me they didn't fit that well but were doable. Seemed a little small. I'll take a look again.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Since there seems to be another Cap shortage again, I think I will start playing with making my own Caps again.
    I used the H-48 mix before and it worked Ok for the most part.
    But I am going to play with the FH42 priming mix and see if it does any better.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast