Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shortage of Caps/Primers

Boolit Buddy
    Primer shortage ? Not down in my reloading cave. Have not visited a gun store in over a year. Ive been buying up small quantities over the past 6 years . Gun panic shortages are now beconing more common. And its threads like this that just add more panic buying .

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, thankyou!
    Aim small, miss small!

I take it you don't think that huge stash you have has added to the shortage in any way..????

Boolit Buddy
    Not if he’s been buying in smaller amount over many years. The problem children are the ones who run out and buy that many whenever there’s a ripple on the water...

With a stash like that you need to make provisions for their dispersal if you drop dead or your wife will have a garage sale at $1 a sleeve just to get rid of them.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    2008 deja' vu

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Theditchman View Post
    I take it you don't think that huge stash you have has added to the shortage in any way..????
    Read the comment in bold again from my post #41

"Primer shortage ? Not down in my reloading cave. Have not visited a gun store in over a year. Ive been buying up small quantities over the past 6 years . Gun panic shortages are now becoming more common. And its threads like this that just add more panic buying .

As is also the case with my projectile and powder inventory which has been acquired from bi-weekly purchases as funds allow. It's not rocket science, it's just small, consistent disciplined bi-weekly prepping purchases for when the day comes and the reloading shelves are stripped bare. I try to be most aggressive with my purchases when the political gun climate is "calm" (as been the case for about the past 2-1/2 years prior to the recent Covid 19 panic). Sorry for seeming like i'm gloating but many of you guys have no one to blame but yourselves for just sitting back and not buying ammo and/or reloading components during the calm gun buyers climates. Just takes a jerk like me to get people to think about what bad will be inevitably be coming...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
    Read the comment in bold again from my post #41

"Primer shortage ? Not down in my reloading cave. Have not visited a gun store in over a year. Ive been buying up small quantities over the past 6 years . Gun panic shortages are now becoming more common. And its threads like this that just add more panic buying .

As is also the case with my projectile and powder inventory which has been acquired from bi-weekly purchases as funds allow. It's not rocket science, it's just small, consistent disciplined bi-weekly prepping purchases for when the day comes and the reloading shelves are stripped bare. I try to be most aggressive with my purchases when the political gun climate is "calm" (as been the case for about the past 2-1/2 years prior to the recent Covid 19 panic). Sorry for seeming like i'm gloating but many of you guys have no one to blame but yourselves for just sitting back and not buying ammo and/or reloading components during the calm gun buyers climates. Just takes a jerk like me to get people to think about what bad will be inevitably be coming...

The forum needs a “like” button...

Boolit Master

Caps in stock at Midway as of 1700 hrs today 8/14

Thanks, that means other suppliers may start getting them in too.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

They're RWS 1075 #11's. --->>> https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=24

They also have CCI #10's.

I made 9 caps with the #11 cap maker and priming compound that is currently being sold and tried them out today. They were at least as hot as the Remington #11s and worked great. It is a little fiddly to make them, but this is a reasonable option for target shooting.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Anyone know of plans/drawing for making a cap maker on the web? I'd love to have one but funds require the cheap route.
    Thanks Aaron

Boolit Master
    I started making my own Caps back in the late 70's.
    I just drilled a hole in a piece of 1/2" steel about the size of the OD of the primer cap.
    I made a punch out of a piece of 1/4" steel rod turned down to the Diameter of the nipple, using a drill motor and a file.
    Poor man's Lathe.
    ( About .160" )
    I then cut discs out of soda cans about 5/8" diameter.
    You place the disc over the hole in the steel and pound the punch down into the hole in the steel to form the cup.
    You have to play with punch sizes and tip shapes a little bit to get it to Form the disc rather than just punching a hole thru it.
    I use to use TOY Caps for the priming compound.
    Now I mix up priming compound to match either the H-48 or FH-42 mix using chemicals from Prime All compound that you can order on line.
    It will take you a few trys to perfect your process in making the Cups.
    But you can't do it much cheaper than that.
    I now use a Primer maker I bought on line , but improved the shape of the primer cup even more by using the methods from my original experiments back in the 70's

Boolit Master
    Now , Don't take me wrong.
    The Primer Cap makers that are out on the market right now are good , and produce fine Workable Caps.
    I just use my home made punch and die to Refine than a little for my own satisfaction.
    I can also remember making my Cap Making plate out of a piece of wood with a hole drilled all the way thru it.
    It is just that the wood sometimes wore out a bit after doing several hundred caps.
    So I switched to a metal die.
    I am having problems with my computer posting pictures , or I would show you what my simple system looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by joatmon View Post
    Anyone know of plans/drawing for making a cap maker on the web? I'd love to have one but funds require the cheap route.
    Thanks Aaron
    Check out page 13 in this document -

http://aardvarkreloading.com/resourc...2019-06-28.pdf
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Thanks LAGS and ofitg, I'll give it a try!

Aaron

LAGS - your homemade die sounds similar to the one presented by "Raa-7" on The High Road forum - here is how I implemented Raa-7's idea -

First you punch out a 1/2" disc from thin metal (a leather punch will work). I used the soft sheet aluminum from a disposable pie pan (the aluminum from a beer can was too stiff). Then you cut four radial slits in the disc (I used my wife's cuticle nippers) -

I used a 0.157" diameter steel rod to push this disc through the "Raa-7" homemade die. The die is simply a quarter-inch-thick slab of aluminum with a 0.185" hole (#13 wire gauge bit) drilled through it - the hole is beveled on the top side -

"Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    That does look very similar.
    But like I said.
    I started making mine back in the 70's.
    I had no guidance , and just winged it on my own cause I had No Money.
    But I just figured that if they could do these back in the 1800's, there had to be a way to make them yourself.
    I also found that making the Cups out of Disposable Aluminum Pie Tin metal works better because it isn't as brittle as soda or beer cans , and forms easier.
    Sheet Copper works also , but drives up the cost

Boolit Master
    One other Tip for making a more durable and reliable primer.
    When you put the priming compound in the cup, you put in one or two drops of Acetone Mixed with about 10 to 15 drops of Nail Polish in about an Once of Acetone.
    The nail polish in the Acetone when dry , acts a a very durable and almost waterproof Binder.
    It keeps the priming compound from drying out and turning back to powder and falling out

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast