RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee's wax lube ?

Boolit Master

I like using it with paraffin, a little Alox, and some carnauba . Always had trouble with "sticky" soft lube. Was a pain to work with. Carnauba is super hard, and helps a ton with that issue.

Boolit Grand Master

Bees wax and bear oil oil adjusted to temps, winter and summer lubes. As good as spg imho.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buck Emmert came up with what he (supposedly) intended for schuetzen with smokeless powder, but which turned out to be great for BP as well. 50% Beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola or Olive Oil. Over the years part or all of the 10% oil has been replaced with anhydrous lanolin. I've gone all the way to 10% Lanolin.

Nearly 30 years ago I made up a lube I called Frog Guano composed of 50% Beeswax, 40% Anhydrous Lanolin, and 10% Mink Oil (available as a boot dressing.) I then added sufficient candle coloring to give it a sickly green color... the dye was in a paraffin carrier.

Beeswax is some very useful stuff!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Bw and crisco for bp
    Bw and vasiline for smokless
    These are the only two lubes i us never had a problemo
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

As a kid I used to use a simple mixture of 2 parts beeswax and 1 part vaseline for pan lubing, which I got from an old Philip B. Sharpe - "Guide to Handloading". (If I remember the proportions correctly)

I used this with .22 indoor range lead from my High School basement range, and clip-on wheel weights from garage donations. No precise mix, just what I could get, so bullets were about a BHN 10 or so, maybe less (but I had no idea about BHN hardness back then).

At velocities averaging around 800-850 FPS this lube worked perfectly. No leading ever and bright shiny bores. Later, I realized that the little cakes of beeswax that I was buying at Tandys' were actually about a 50/50 beeswax/paraffin mix, so the actual recipe that I was using was:

- 1 part pure filtered beeswax
    - 1 part parrafin
    - 1 part Vaseline (100% petroleum jelly without additives -Petrolatum)

Today, this is a popular mix that has a cap full (TBSP) of STP oil Treatment added, which is good up to 1300 FPS or more. Unlike some lubes it will melt well repeatedly and easily, so it's perfect for a pan lube.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 08-17-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12