RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big is too big

How big is too big

Well I slugged my CVA scout v2 in 44 mag today and found it has a relatively tight bore.
    It slugged to .4295"
    All my molds I have now cast big for my rossi like .433" or bigger. The only sizer I have is .433" NOE push through.
    Getting anything in this country is getting damn hard lately and have turned up nothing smaller.
    Would shooting a .433 in a .429 bore be a little to much?
    Have any of you fellas had any luck with such an oversized bullet?

Boolit Master
    i'd go no more than.4305" in a .429" bore. that's just me

Boolit Master
    As inexpensive as they are, pick up another noe sizer or a press mounted kit from Lee. Then you can size for both. And I'd go 2 thousandths over, so .4315.

I'm looking for a lee right now. Dont forget I'm in canada most stuff right now is unavailable in this country. Getting one from NOE would cost me near $60 canadian and take 3 weeks to get here. The last mold I ordered from them took almost a month.
    I'm looking, my question is would it be an issue using this oversize bullet

I'd go ahead and order the right die.
    Shooting the big boolits will raise the pressure to one degree or another,
    but you may have a accuracy and leading issue too.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 07-19-2020 at 11:27 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

If a bullet will fit into a fired case (crimp may interfere), I would shoot what you have and see, especially if you are not running top end loads. It may shoot very well with 0.433 bullets. You just need to make sure that your chamber is generous enough that it isn't crimping the bullet into the case. Start low and work up.

You may need to shoot an uncrimped round or two in order to obtain a fired case without a roll crimp. (Sometimes the crimp doesnt iron out upon firing andi interferes with the check of a bullet in a fired case). or you could cast your chamber to verify dimensions.

Brad

I do have a handful of commercial cast bullets I forgot about. They are sized at .430, i can load them up and check the case mouths.
    One thing this rifle has a long throat I loaded a dummy with a fairly wfn out to 1.715" and didnt touch the rifling.
    Hoping I can locate a sizing die

Boolit Buddy
    My 1889 Swiss shoots a .323 bullet through a .300 bore, and it does it accurately.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

If push comes to shove a simple sizing die is easy to make. Use a piece of steel, 1" in diameter is good, about 2"-3" long and drill a 27/64 hole through. (10.8mm drill is closer but probably hard to find). Then hone (or if you can find a 430" reamer, but again, hard to find). Taper one end of the hoe to accept a .440" bullet and use a brass rod to push/pound a bullet through (the first sizing die I had was an old Lee Lube/Size kit and it was just a 3/4" diameter rod with a hole of appropriate diameter in it an a punch). Depending on how hard it is to get a commercial sizing die and how mechanically inclined you are, it is a toss up which is easier; home made or dedicated sizing die...
    Last edited by mdi; 07-20-2020 at 04:39 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    If you have access to a lathe a bolt with the proper pitch for your press is pretty easy to start with.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsing View Post
    Would shooting a .433 in a .429 bore be a little to much?
    Have any of you fellas had any luck with such an oversized bullet?
    Considering that I shoot .455 bullets in my .45 Colt's .451 barrel, I'd say you will be just fine.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

For best accuracy cast and size for the throat diameter of your rifle, the throat's end taper (lead of the rifling) will size your bullets without raising pressure to any discernible degree as this has been happening all along and is reflected in all cast rifle data that you can find.

Read up on folks shooting huge THROAT SIZED slugs in 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers and some even more gargantuan oversized bullets in the 8x56 Hungarian Steyr rifles.

Your pressure issue with cast slugs does not exist, really.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 07-20-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Ok that is good news.
    This rifle really does seem to have a generous size throat. I'll fire a few of these commercial cast bullets I have and see as well. I am really excited on getting this rifle up and running. I'll report back with some performance results

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m sizing .025” over in my marlin 335 35 Rem. I shot two three groups with my cast boolits out of it at 100 yards that measured .250”! All you can do is try. Your results will give you the answer. My guess at .035” over as you measured will probably work just fine. If not try to get a lee sizing die.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’m sizing .025” over in my marlin 335 35 Rem. I shot two three groups with my cast boolits out of it at 100 yards that measured .250”! All you can do is try. Your results will give you the answer. My guess at .035” over as you measured will probably work just fine. If not try to get a lee sizing die.
    Misplaced zero perhaps? Twenty five thousandths of an inch over groove diameter seems excessive...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfeller View Post
    For best accuracy cast and size for the throat diameter of your rifle, the throat's end taper (lead of the rifling) will size your bullets without raising pressure to any discernible degree as this has been happening all along and is reflected in all cast rifle data that you can find.

Read up on folks shooting huge THROAT SIZED slugs in 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers and some even more gargantuan oversized bullets in the 8x56 Hungarian Steyr rifles.

Listen to the advice this man just gave you. Chamber cast, load to size of throat or just slightly smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfeller View Post

Correct. The obsession with sizing for groove diameter is misplaced. This has been known for generations. It's the throat that holds the bullet centrally aligned to the bore prior to firing.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Wasn’t sure what this thread was about. Kind of scared me a little that’s all I got to say about it.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I would only be concerned with boolit base edge feathering if it's a plain base and then only if it negatively effects accuracy.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Yep, listen to the old dude --- he has built a lot of bullets over the years and he knows what happens when "oversized" throat sized bullets go through the leade at the start of the rifling.

You get a fully engaged fully rifled lead boolit that is LONGER than what you had originally.

Follow the Mann "putty plug" logic and as the diameter goes down and the pressure swaging (not scraping or "rifling engagement") takes place you get a perfectly centered balanced boolit and a perfect gas seal.

BUT YOU MUST SHOOT EVENLY POWDER COATED BOOLITS WITH NO LUBE GROOVES BEING PRESENT TO COMPRESS OFF CENTER AND THROWING YOUR BOOLIT OUT OF BALANCE !!!!!!
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast