Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How big is too big

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Wasn’t sure what this thread was about. Kind of scared me a little that’s all I got to say about it.
    Yeah, know what you mean. My thought was, let her tell you.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Yeah, know what you mean. My thought was, let her tell you.

Don
    It got your attention though didnt it. I wasn't even thinking of that when I started the thread.

I did manage to find a .429 sizer that I'm sure I can open up to .431
    I'm thinking I should do a chamber cast as well if i can locate some cerrosafe. I have never done a chamber cast on any of my rifles. Is their a good way to do it with something other than cerrosafe?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Misplaced zero perhaps? Twenty five thousandths of an inch over groove diameter seems excessive...
    Yes i did misplace a zero

Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Considering that I shoot .455 bullets in my .45 Colt's .451 barrel, I'd say you will be just fine.

Don
    I shoot the lee 8mm bullet through Brit Enfield sized to .316 with outstanding result.

Brownell's has Cerrosafe, or you can get it from McMaster-Carr. www.mcmaster.com (If they don't have it, you don't need it.) The other traditional way is molten sulphur, but it's harder to do than Cerrosafe.

Just thinking about it in the cool of the pre-dawn morning here - by far the most accurate handgun I own is a Colt Officer's Model with the 9" barrel. The throats are a .3575+, but the barrel slugs a scant .356". That gun will shoot all six into a hole the size of a quarter at 15 yards, every time, unless I screw up. Apparently all the target models Colt made were like that on purpose, so there's some more support for the idea of letting the barrel do the final sizing of the bullet.

Curiously, (or maybe not), the gun does it's best not with the canonical target load of flush-seated full wadcutters, but rather with a 158 grain semi-wadcutter seated out so it fills the throat. I think that must center the bullet up better, since there's no jump from the case to the throat.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what materials are available in Canada, but if Cerrosafe is on the "no-no" list you can find it at Roto Metals and Amazon https://www.rotometals.com/chamber-c...-low-158-190f/ https://www.amazon.com/Low-Melting-P.../dp/B00B1U540Y
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Managed to find cerrosafe and a .430" sizing die just in case. It's a new lee style that looks like the old hammer through die and you buy an adapter separate. Worth a shot I suppose, also found a used 2 cavity RCBS 44-245 swc mold and a single cavity lyman 429421 that I'll play around with.
    I think I'll have all my bases covered to start playing around with this rifle.

Got to the range today with that scout.
    Loaded up a bunch of 240 gr xtp bullets I had forgot about, loaded them with 19 gr of 2400 powder. Loaded up some of those comercial cast bullets, they are actually .431" and 250 gr.
    Loaded them up with 17 and 17.5 gr of 2400.
    Man I tell you that rifle has a sweet trigger and is accurate as I need. The j word bullets I was even smacking the 8"×8" 200 yard gong with consistancy. It didnt seem to like the .431" cast bullets however.
    3" groups at 50 yards was about the best I could muster.
    I did have some loaded up with the 240gr ranch dog sized to .433 from my last range trip.
    They shot well, surprisingly well
    I only had 6 rounds on me but I put them all into about 2" cluster at 50 yards.
    This is with a 1.25-4x scope with a #4 reticle.
    I measured the fired case mouths and they seem to be mostly .430 with a few that were .432"
    How much spring back on the brass can be expected?
    Does this indicate that I shouldnt try any more .433 bullets?

I'd say definitely not. Your cast bullets should be a drag fit into a fired case. A .433 bullet is going to expand the neck enough that it may be an interference fit in the chamber neck. High pressure thus possible.
    Cognitive Dissident

Ok that's kind of what I figured. I just wasn't sure how much spring back the brass would get. If say it expanded to .433" than spring back to .431"
    I would assume there will be some or the brass would be far more difficult to eject if it was still expanded to the chamber walls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12