Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: MVA sights

MVA sights

Just got a MVA long range vernier sight for my 1874 LRE Sharps have it leveled and want to establish a base zero at 100 yards shooting 535 grain postal will 25 MOA on the staff get me on paper do not want to be wasting a lot of ammo guessing.
    Thank You

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Depends on the height of your front sight. Most of my rifles shoot around 200 yards at 25 on the staff.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

The drop of the tang from different manufacturers vary. Put a paper with a spot up at 50 yards set the sights at 30 points and shoot. This will give you an indication if you have to drift the front sight over for center also. If you hit at 50 you will hit at 100. Going from 100 to 200 come up 12 points from your 100 and you will be close. There will be some elevation differences for the caliber, loads and barrel lengths. A longer barrel the more hang time it will have raising the impact from recoil if your hold of the rifle is light.
    If your worried about wasting ammo you might be in the wrong game Just go and shoot, the more trigger time the better you will get.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing to do is bore sight the rifle. bag it in solid and look thru bore and adjust to target centered in bore then adjust sights to target with out moving rifle. I believe my 45-70 s are around 20 up for 200. I do shoot the lyman 535 postell occasionally. If you can get a spotter to watch impacts for you it goes much better also. The spotter may even see hits of paper to correct from.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    One more thing, if that rifle has a barrel sight you might have to take it off to shoot 100 yards with the soul sight due to the barrel sight blocking the view.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.