WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 35 Rem dies

Boolit Master

Help with 35 Rem dies

I picked up a set of Lyman AA 35 Remington dies They are an older set in the black cardboard box. It also came with the wrench. I have now figured I need to get the M die and the shell holder. Since I'm making an order I want to make sure I didn't miss anything, what else do I need to load 35 Rem with cast pistol bullets? I'm also having a problem with the full length sizing die even with lube it takes several attempts and a lot of pressure to get the die to the base. I think I might have to clean & polish it.

Boolit Master
    What press are you using ?

Boolit Master
    I once owed several sets of Lyman dies of that era. They were all pretty tight when used and needed to be cleaned out and polished and used with a good lube. I eventually got rid of all my Lyman dies and bought RCBS dies for (4) .35 Remingtons that I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I picked up a set of Lyman AA 35 Remington dies They are an older set in the black cardboard box. It also came with the wrench. I have now figured I need to get the M die and the shell holder. Since I'm making an order I want to make sure I didn't miss anything, what else do I need to load 35 Rem with cast pistol bullets? I'm also having a problem with the full length sizing die even with lube it takes several attempts and a lot of pressure to get the die to the base. I think I might have to clean & polish it.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Clean the dies thoroughly
    Pre-lube the dies with Imperial Sizing Wax (Q-Tip)
    Lube a case with Imperial Sizing Wax
    Run it a SMALL way up into the die, withdraw
    and rotate case 45 degrees, a bit more up into the
    die, withdraw and rotate case 45 degrees, a bit more up into the
    die, withdraw and rotate case 45 degrees, a bit more up into the
    die, withdraw and rotate case 45 degrees, final size the case.
    Lube the next case and size in one stroke most of the time.
    Please report and let us know how this did for you
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Ok, I have some answers and some more questions. First I'm kinda hacking this together waiting to order the M die. I was using the Lee Breech Lock Reloader Press I bought to use strictly for decapping but it was easily accessible. I was just playing around and grabbed what I had in front of me as lube which was neutral shoe polish & Mothers paste car wax. After dinner & asking my question I returned to the scene of the crime & realized the bottom of the case wasn't lubed as I was just dabbing some on with my finger. I lubed the base of the half sized case and it finished easier. I then carfully lubed the next case and near had to stand on it to get it to size at all. I removed the case & after a minute of looking at the oddly shaped case I checked the rim & found it to be a 308 round. After sifting through the close to 100 cases I found 10 308's. After removing them I used my go to case lube Kleins synthetic wire pulling wax. I put the cases back in the container & with a little squirt & shake fully lubed the cases. The sizing went much easier & I was able to finish them. The next step was to expand the mouth of the case which I manually used the expander from a Lee 38 die set. which works ok but is time consuming. I then tried seating a .358 sized 158gr swc to the crimp groove and found I collapsed the case at the neck. This old die has a solid .356 mandrel. Which I think might be to tight. My next question is can I replace the mandrel with the newer button type expander or get a larger sized mandrel? I also found the bevel in the base of the die to have a bur, I cleaned that up with a cone shaped sanding pad I might still polish it out. The body of the die looks good inside.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 07-18-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I once owed several sets of Lyman dies of that era. They were all pretty tight when used and needed to be cleaned out and polished and used with a good lube. I eventually got rid of all my Lyman dies and bought RCBS dies for (4) .35 Remingtons that I shoot.
    I think this is true as the unsized brass chambered without issue. This was brass I bough about 2 years ago & looks to have been tight necked as the .356 mandrel was also tight going in. A majority of the brass is R P with a few Hornady brass. I checked them and they were full length not the shorter Leverevolution brass.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 07-18-2020 at 10:05 PM.

I might suggest the Lee universal expander but not use the tapered plugs that come with the die.
    Get NOE expander plugs. They are shaped like the plug in Lyman's M die but they are available in a wider range of sizes.
    The Lyman M die you need a complete die for each caliber you load. The Lee die and NOE plugs you use one die body for all cartridges, just use the appropriate expander plug.
    Un your sizing issue I would do a good cleaning on the die then do as skeettx suggested. If that improves the issue, good to go, if not you can try polishing the die.
    Leo

Banned

I never found the .35 Remington hard to handload even with plain based pistol bullets. I've used Lee dies and RCBS dies and I use a Lee universal expander for the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    ... grabbed what I had in front of me as lube which was neutral shoe polish & Mothers paste car wax.
    Don't know about Mother's but Kiwi shoe wax works fine, neutral won't die your fingers. Kiwi "Mink Oil" is a soft wax and that makes it much easier to finger lube.

[quote]... the bottom of the case wasn't lubed as I was just dabbing some on with my finger. I lubed the base of the half sized case and it finished easier.

Failure to properly lube the lower part of a case accounts for more sizing difficulty and stuck cases than anything else. A finger tip is a poor "paint brush", apply your lube with thumb and finger tips rolled and rubbed over each case as you pick it up to size; after you get the hang of it, and develop a rhythm, lubing will add no more than a couple seconds to your sizing time.

... I then tried seating a .358 sized 158gr swc to the crimp groove and found I collapsed the case at the neck. This old die has a solid .356 mandrel. Which I think might be to tight. My next question is can I replace the mandrel with the newer button type expander or get a larger sized mandrel?
    No thin brass neck will collapse during seating any bullet that can set on/in the case mouth after flairing, the necks WILL expand to accept any reasonable bullets. The only thing I know of that will set a neck back in collapse is having the seater's crimp ring set much too low. When adjusted correctly, Lyman's M die does an excellent job of neck expanding & mouth flairing and it works equally well for both jacketed and cast bullets.

I've used Lyman's dies (and all others except Dillon) since '65 with complete satisfaction. The ONLY difficulty I have experienced with sizing by ANY dies has been my own failure to properly lube the cases in my learning days; no die can fix the loose nut holding the press lever.

Surprising but true, a mirror polish in a sizer is not easier to use. A soft matt finish holds case size lube in place much better than a high shine, that's why the cylinder walls of auto engines are never polished shiny!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I might suggest the Lee universal expander but not use the tapered plugs that come with the die.
    Get NOE expander plugs. They are shaped like the plug in Lyman's M die but they are available in a wider range of sizes.
    The Lyman M die you need a complete die for each caliber you load. The Lee die and NOE plugs you use one die body for all cartridges, just use the appropriate expander plug.
    Un your sizing issue I would do a good cleaning on the die then do as skeettx suggested. If that improves the issue, good to go, if not you can try polishing the die.
    Leo
    I'm OK with Lee dies. I have several 4 die sets. I'll get the universal expanding die & the NOE plugs

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=1hole;4945065]Don't know about Mother's but Kiwi shoe wax works fine, neutral won't die your fingers. Kiwi "Mink Oil" is a soft wax and that makes it much easier to finger lube.

... the bottom of the case wasn't lubed as I was just dabbing some on with my finger. I lubed the base of the half sized case and it finished easier.

Failure to properly lube the lower part of a case accounts for more sizing difficulty and stuck cases than anything else. A finger tip is a poor "paint brush", apply your lube with thumb and finger tips rolled and rubbed over each case as you pick it up to size; after you get the hang of it, and develop a rhythm, lubing will add no more than a couple seconds to your sizing time.

No thin brass neck will collapse during seating any bullet that can set on/in the case mouth after flairing, the necks WILL expand to accept any reasonable bullets. The only thing I know of that will set a neck back in collapse is having the seater's crimp ring set much too low. When adjusted correctly, Lyman's M die does an excellent job of neck expanding & mouth flairing and it works equally well for both jacketed and cast bullets.

I've used Lyman's dies (and all others except Dillon) since '65 with complete satisfaction. The ONLY difficulty I have experienced with sizing by ANY dies has been my own failure to properly lube the cases in my learning days; no die can fix the loose nut holding the press lever.

Surprising but true, a mirror polish in a sizer is not easier to use. A soft matt finish holds case size lube in place much better than a high shine, that's why the cylinder walls of auto engines are never polished shiny!
    It was Kiwi Neutral I normally use as a release agent. The application was the issue.

The only other thing that could have happened is it wasn't set right and it crimped before it was fully seated. I really think this was the problem.

I am one of those loose nut's your talking about!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Leo
    The steps to properly adjust the NOE Expander Plug (the solid top plug) in either the Lee Universal Case Expanding Die or the Powder through Expander Die capped with a Lee Adjusting Screw are........

I use the powder through expander dies now so this shouldn't be an issue.

.35 Rem was the first cartridge I cast for, long, long ago, when I inherited my old Dad's 336 Marlin.

Nothing to do with dies, but if you're going to shoot pistol bullets with reduced loads like I did, use pistol primers, and open up the flash holes to ar least .110". The .35 Rem is second only to the .35 Whelen in susceptibility to shoulder setback.

And if you've got a Microgroove Marlin, size your bullets to .360", and use an appropriately large expander plug from NOE so you don't wind up sizing them down when seating.

RCBS case lube and their foam pad will handle the sizing-lube problem. RCBS lube washes off completely in hot water, which you can't say about any of the waxes.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    You might not need to run it all the way to the base.
    .35 Remington is known to have failures to fire if undersized.
    Size the cases just enough to reliably chamber in your gun and try a few.

Boolit Master
    The steps to properly adjust the NOE Expander Plug (the solid top plug) in either the Lee Universal Case Expanding Die or the Powder through Expander Die capped with a Lee Adjusting Screw are........

I use the powder through expander dies now so this shouldn't be an issue.
    Does the NOE expander plug work in the powder through die with the powder measure?

Boolit Master
    For 35 Rem in several Marlin's - sizing die, I have Herter's, Lee, RCBS - I used to set a die up for each rifle, now I use Redding Competition shellholder(the 308 size works fine), keeping notes on each rifle to get correct headspace/cartridge fit for each rifle, I DO NOT neck expand in the sizer die, I use the Lee Sizer with a decapping pin and no expanding plug. I use a Lyman 'M' die or Lee with NOE 'M' style expanding plug, depending on bullet diameter. Usually use a Lee Seater and a Lee Factory Crimp for the tube feed Marlin's. Drilling the primer pocket for light loads is a good thing with the 35 Rem. I do use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer for some of my 35 Rem loading. Your Lyman dies should work fine, an 'M' stepped expander helps a great deal when working with cast bullets. You can crimp and seat in the Lyman Seater, careful tinkering and adjustment can get the seating and crimping in a single step, or just seat in one step and adjust the die to crimp in a separate step. When crimping, uniform case length becomes important with MOST seating/crimping dies. The Lee Factory Crimp Die is less fussy about case length than others. The NOE expander will work in the powder thru die, but I don't think NOE is making powder thru 'M' expanders anymore (they did, I have a couple). Of course they work in Lee's Universl Expander die.

Boolit Master
    I use the expander out of the RCBS COWBOY 38/357 die set and it works fine for gas checked boolits sized to .360 to shoot in microgroove barrel.
    long ago having been brought up on Lyman and RCBS lube and pads I switched over to imperial wax and never looked back. its not the cheapest option but a little goes a long way and it just works real well and I get to inspect every case while putting the size wax on.
    I have the same Lyman AA chromed dies for 35 rem and would not trade them for anything. sometimes I resize in lee hand press sometimes if I only have a few to do and its good exercise I guess but it works.

Boolit Master
    Well I made some progress tonight. The die wasn't set up correctly and had crimped before fully seating. I made a batch of dummy rounds and had a hard time getting them the full cartridge to seat in the chamber. I then pulled the bullets and tried a little narrower shaped bullet. I switched to the 359-640HP. I filled the magazine with 7 dummies and they all fed & ejected perfectly.

Boolit Master
    I am one of those loose nut's your talking about!
    Ditto.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ...having been brought up on Lyman and RCBS lube and pads I switched over to imperial wax and never looked back.
    I have the same record, that was just the way lubing was done back then. Then I tried Imperial! But then I tried Hornady's Unique and like it even better for rapid three finger application; check it out!

I have the same Lyman AA chromed dies for 35 rem and would not trade them for anything.
    Lyman's chrome is only on the outside so it's never been a problem that I can see. But, I never much liked Lyman's AA seaters, it has too many things to line up for the very best accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast