Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: PC recipe?

Boolit Man

PC recipe?

Hi folks - new to powdercoating boolits. I was thinking that adding Molly powder to the powdercoat powder might enhance lubricity. Anybody tried that?

Banned
    welcome to CB trebleplink,

I've heard of someone adding something to PC once but not since. I'd be afraid it would interfere with the PC's adhesion to the boolit.

at the top right of the page is a search box giving you access to EVERYTHING posted here on CB of you can browse the Coatings and Alternatives thread.

I have blended a lot of PC same brand and multiple different brands. sometimes blending: really relps PC that doesn't work well by itself, gives you interesting colors/color-blends and I've found a few PC that work good by themselves but flat don't play well with others.

Boolit Master
    Given how slick PC is I don't think molly will provide any benefit.

Boolit Master

PC is very slippery. Many have reported higher velocities with no change in the powder charge. You’ll notice when you start handling the powder coated boolits.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I once received powder that according to the vendor had molybdenum disulfide added for better performance.
    The adhesion was not too bad but not great, but the finish was terrible, sort of blotchy.
    Sent it right back, and asked to get just the normal powder, the result was better adhesion and great finish.
    I agree with David2011, normal PC is just so slick, cannot really see the added value or advantage of any additives.

Boolit Man
    When I shot huge volumes of .40 in competition, I bought "coated" boolits from David Long at precisionbullets.com I never had any problems with leading or excessive smoke. They claim that their secret coating is a combination of dry lubricant and polymer - perhaps two coats. Does anyone know what it is they actually use? Kinda sounds like powder coat with moly ...

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Molly will totally kill the small static charge you get from you plastic tub. Do NOT use it. You will even have to throw away the tub because it will no longer work.

Back years ago when a bunch of us were developing this technique, we tried EVERYTHING! Molly is a static killer, just graphite. Been there.....done that.

Blending different brands of PC powders is one thing............adding molly or graphite is quite a different thing!!!!!!!

Stick with good pure PC power and you will be just fine. Plenty slick enough for even high velocities. If applied and baked correctly, it will NOT come off and give you more than enough "slickness".

bangerjim

No point adding moly, which most people are off moly now anyway. PC is a lube, slick as moly in the bore, little smoke & no coating left behind like moly.
    Last edited by fredj338; 09-03-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Hahaha

IMHO wasted effort! I agree with guys comments above.

I already cannot pull a PC bullet cause she is too slippery!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    We used molly with cast bullets many years ago. Tumbled the bullets in the stuff and it was 'embedded' in the surface of the bullet. Then lubed them with molly grease based lube (beeswax, molly grease and enough carnuba to 'stiffen' it). Worked ok but found the extra molly from tumbling wasn't worth the trouble.

Powder coating is a whole new deal. As others have stated there is no reason to use molly with powdercoat.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you get good quality power, normal PC should be all you need.

Coat them and shoot them. No need for anything else. I can't speak for tub coating. I always spray on a clean boolit. I soak mine in acetone let them dry and coat. Never had a problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I put a tiny amount of HBN in with my PC once.
    It didn't stick.

Quote Originally Posted by trebleplink View Post
    Hi folks - new to powdercoating boolits. I was thinking that adding Molly powder to the powdercoat powder might enhance lubricity. Anybody tried that?
    I use Teflon black paint. You might want to try that instead of mixing up your own concoction. It really slides through the sizing die easily and doesn't seem to stick to other bullets as much when you bake them.

https://www.allpowderpaints.com/teflon-coatings/
    Last edited by prickett; 09-08-2020 at 06:05 PM.