Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Recent buy--Mod 43 S&W Airweight

Boolit Master

Recent buy--Mod 43 S&W Airweight

Local family offered us this S&W mod 43 Airweight, bought by them in the mid 60's. Quite hard to believe the condition as its I would say in 95o/o, most likely higher. Was told by family a member did fire it just to see if it would shoot, was returned to the box and put away only to be wiped down on occasion.
    So, in researching found out first one was sold around 1956, starting ser #32,244, mine is 49,0xx stamped on bottom of butt frame. Frame is stamped mod 43 but does have another number of 32,93x, am trying to find out what those numbers meaning is.
    Gun came in org box with tools and cleaning gear, brochure is of a standing cop, Instructions for Operation, is neat, first one I have ever seen in this format.
    It also came with a Brauer Bros "J" frame holster which was never used after buying it, only to see if it was the proper one for the gun, is a black one in like new condition, could use it for my mod 36 but is not a lined holster.
    So, looking forward for some feedback from the "Pros".

Also would like to know what the 22/32 kit gun means, where did it come from??
    Last edited by SWANEEDB; 07-19-2020 at 11:45 AM.

Boolit Master

You lucky dog............................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    I had two of them, a 50's model like yours, and a NIB one from the early 70's. I never fired the 2nd one, and it moved on to someone who made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

The early one was in tip-top condition, but like all of these if you use them, had quite a bit of finish gone on the frame and cylinder. I only used standard velocity 40gr target loads in it, and the occasional Federal .22lr shot cartridge. I sold it to a buddy of mine that coveted it, and have kept my 4" I-frame and 2" J-frame model 34's.

I'd strongly consider buying another one, if the price wasn't too stratospheric.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Valuable collector-grade gun. Don't modify it. Treat gently.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I haven’t had a 43 for several years. In 70s I had two NIB. It’s hard to find one that’s got good finish. They are like the 422 pistols, finish is delicate. I like 34 for carry fishing. Couple months ago guy advertised Lawrence flap holster NIB for kit gun. I bought it. Didn’t fit my 34, looked up holster number and it was for Kit Gun, m43 with 3.5” barrel. The Kit Gun is a leaning curve when use to a K22 and same with 43 when used to 34. When I had 43s I shot HV ammo like I did in the other S&Ws. I had a 22/32 HBT and 41s I have now only use STD Vel in.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    You lucky dog............................
    My thoughts precisely. IMO, these are the ultimate kit-guns. Light enough that even an old coot like myself can toss one in a back pack and not notice it, but accurate enough to hit what it is aimed at. I have a Model 64, but a 43 at a fair price would find a home at my house, any time.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Pictures?

Boolit Master

Old school here, unable to post pics.

Boolit Master

In my opening thread I asked if anyone could relate what the two numbers meant, would like to know, also what the Kit Gun meant.

Boolit Buddy
    One number is the serial number the other is the build number. The serial number should be prominently stamped on the bottom of the grip. The build number will appear less prominent and can usually be found on the grip frame, crane and inside the side plate. These parts were numbered in order to keep them together as a unit as the gun progressed through the various stages of production.
    Kit gun refers to the marketing scheme of the day where you could slip this little dandy into a "day kit" to go out with, kinda like an every day "go bag".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sagamore-one View Post
    One number is the serial number the other is the build number. The serial number should be prominently stamped on the bottom of the grip. The build number will appear less prominent and can usually be found on the grip frame, crane and inside the side plate. These parts were numbered in order to keep them together as a unit as the gun progressed through the various stages of production.
    Kit gun refers to the marketing scheme of the day where you could slip this little dandy into a "day kit" to go out with, kinda like an every day "go bag".
    Thank You, Big help.

Boolit Buddy
    Model 43 was offered from 1958 to 1974 and was always built on the "J" frame although it was serial numbered along with the I frame guns.
    It is quite collectable and would be a shame to holster it. The finish on the air weight guns is very fragile.
    I am not an expert by any means, I gleaned the information from Roy Jinks book about Smith & Wesson.
    Sagamore - One

Banned
    "Kit" refers to ones gear/equipment. It is often heard more as British slang for gear. It the context of "Kit Gun" it refers to a gun carried by an outdoorsman in addition to your other gear (kit). This is not a primary hunting weapon but rather a piece of one's "kit" while engaged in other activities. For example, a hiker or camper might include a small, lightweight handgun in his "kit" to occasionally take small game or maybe for some informal plinking while camping. A fisherman might include a "kit gun" in his tackle box.

"Kit Gun" is a fairly broad concept. Generally speaking, a kit gun is small caliber, lightweight handgun capable of fine accuracy. It doesn't have to be a revolver but they frequently are revolvers. The calibers typically range from 22 to 38. The barrels are often 3"-4" long. None of this is carved in stone. It is merely a gun carried in addition to other gear.
    S&W marketed a few guns under the "Kit Gun" concept.

Boolit Grand Master
    petrol hit the "kit" part of your question right on the head, so I'll address the "22/32" portion. It simply means it is a 22 caliber pistol on a 32 caliber frame.

Way back when, before WW II, S&W made "I", "K", and "N" frame revolvers. They had also manufactured an "M" frame revolver, a dainty little steel framed 22. The "I" frame was the 32 chassis. But the M frame was too light for best service as a target pistol, weighing only about 10 ounces with its standard 3" barrel. So a fellow named Philip Beakeart who ran a sporting goods store ordered a few hundred 22 target revolvers built on the 32 frame with 6" barrels. (like a Lipseys or Talo Special). S&W sold some to others, and then began regular series production and the gun was fairly popular in the post-WW I period.
    In answer to the demand for a lighter, more handy version, S&W came out with a 4 inch version which they called the "Kit Gun."
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.