Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: LoadData?

Boolit Master

LoadData?

I realize that this may not fit the description "Reloading Equipment" but I wasn't sure where to put the question. I prefer to use reliable sources for my load information. I have several published manuals including all the Lyman Cast Bullet manuals and a few of the regular Lyman Reloading Manuals. In addition, I have a Hodgdon, Accurate/Western Powders, the Lee #2 and a couple of manuals by jacketed bullet manufacturers.

Would subscribing to LoadData.com from Wolfe be worthwhile?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    I finally subscribed to the LoadData site a few months ago. it is basically a compilation of load data from various sources such as the Lyman Manuals, the powder manufacturers manuals and articles from handloader. It shows the source of the data so you can be confident of the information you are looking at.

You also get a free binder that so you can print out load information and have a place to store it, basically allowing you to create or own loading manual.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've had it for over 5 years. Ended up not subscribing anymore. Once you get the info you need, it doesn't have continual updates, but does have alot of the older recipes that aren't in print anymore. I'd say get the 1st year, download or print what you need, and you'd be fine.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Tell me if you like this website ... http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm
    Regards
    John

Banned
    This is a great resource for cast boolit load data.

you can look up loads by the caliber or by powder

NOE was kind enough to take over the sponsorship of this castboolit member created site

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

This is a paid site that I use. Found some really good data. Here is the link. https://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi...ify2=IPBRlSrfb

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Lots of manuals and load data here also: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...W1FR001OGcwTEk
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Along with your membership here, you already have everything you need.
    Last edited by mdi; 07-20-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Would subscribing to LoadData.com from Wolfe be worthwhile?
    It's not worthwhile to me.

"Common sense" is a great help for doing anything. Every good loading manual tells us to "start low and slowly work up until we see signs of excessive pressure, then back off a bit and stop" no matter what their book says is max; that makes a LOT of sense! In application, it means each of us must be our own expert because only we are right there. So, by that one fact, each of us has the final responsibility for our own safety, not some magic book. Thus, it seems to me that masses of other people's specific data has little more than a casual value to any of one of us. IMHO.

I've never told anyone anything about the powder charges in my loads unless they are very mild. (And I've never even looked at a book OAL.) A few of my "max" loads have been more than my manuals suggest and some are noticeably less but I've been doing this since 1965 without any interesting stories of a KABOOM! to tell. Nor even a simple head separation!

I tend to get a loadbooks USA one caliber one manual book for each caliber I load.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    It's not worthwhile to me.

"Common sense" is a great help for doing anything. Every good loading manual tells us to "start low and slowly work up until we see signs of excessive pressure, then back off a bit and stop" no matter what their book says is max; that makes a LOT of sense! In application, it means each of us must be our own expert because only we are right there. So, by that one fact, each of us has the final responsibility for our own safety, not some magic book. Thus, it seems to me that masses of other people's specific data has little more than a casual value to any of one of us. IMHO.

I've never told anyone anything about the powder charges in my loads unless they are very mild. (And I've never even looked at a book OAL.) A few of my "max" loads have been more than my manuals suggest and some are noticeably less but I've been doing this since 1965 without any interesting stories of a KABOOM! to tell. Nor even a simple head separation!
    Agree........100% common sense. I have been to reload anything I want from the 3 standard load books I have, the power maker's websites and common sense.

I NEVER tell anyone on here what loads I use (only the types of powders) because I don' trust any data I get off sites like this. People on here may be well-intended, but the data is not tested thoroughly. Read the books and powder makers' site data charts and decide for yourself.

And.................."start low and work up high".......... best advice I have ever received or will ever give.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using published reloading manuals as guides for over 40 years. Every thing I need is in them from where it's safe to start to what is too much, and that gives me a lot of safe charges to play with. I have enough knowledge to safely interpolate data for an unlisted bullet/powder combination but that is very rarely needed. Someone's pet load or what someone did may be entertaining, but I'll trust those possessing up to date pressure testing methods done by professionals...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Based on responses and looking at other sites, I think I'll pass. In my OP, I mentioned the manuals I have on the shelf. I refer to them all the time. Lyman molds don't get much respect here, at least the recent ones, but I do like their manuals. As I said, I have all the cast bullet manuals and at least 4 of the reloading manuals. I try to keep a recent powder manufacturers manual too. I may obtain a recent issue of a manual that I already have if it looks like a fairly comprehensive update. That doesn't mean that I don't keep the old one. I've even bought an older manual(reprint) from Cornell.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I like printed manuals best but these days online theres lots of good info like the Los Angeles Silhouette Club and castpics. every year I order the free Alliant manual, download the Western Powders manual they have quite a few tested loads for cast bullets, Lyman only has added some of the newest powders, but they were the gold standard for cast bullet info for the longest time. if you can find a copy of the old RCBS cast bullet manual has some different loads than Lyman ,my collection from over the years also has a couple Speer and Hornady manuals and a Sierra manual too. From what I understand Lee does not do actual testing but compiles from other printed data.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have been using published reloading manuals as guides for over 40 years. Every thing I need is in them from where it's safe to start to what is too much, and that gives me a lot of safe charges to play with. I have enough knowledge to safely interpolate data for an unlisted bullet/powder combination but that is very rarely needed. Someone's pet load or what someone did may be entertaining, but I'll trust those possessing up to date pressure testing methods done by professionals...
    That sounds good. And it truly is most of the time, especially so for their test barrels.

Lab pressure tests are fine stuff. But I know MY rifles and handguns chambers and barrels are not theirs. Plus, MY powder, cases and bullet and primer lots are not theirs, therefore MY safe max loads may not be the same as theirs .... but THEY and I both know it. That's why they all tell me to start low and ease up while observing my own results. IF I or anyone else could safely depend on a book then it would be a waste of our time and money to exercise caution, we could just start at book max and be done with it but - sometimes - loading THAT way can be unsafe!

So, has not been to interpolate anything, I try it. My chosen path has been to follow the expert book maker's carefully printed build-up precautions and know I'm safe ALL the time; it hasn't failed me yet.

* It's worth mentioning that book "start loads" are simply recommendations to not go lower than those charges, not that the book makers fear exceeding max loads unless we start way down there! Seems lighter than suggested start charges can set up some interesting burn rates and pressure curves we really don't want to know about!

I have no use for .30-06 loads at .30-30 speeds or .22-250 at .22 Hornet speeds (etc.) so I've never started a new load at less than about 15% below max charges because I know that's a safe starting place. If I can't safely find what I want for both accuracy and speed then I try another powder.

With the right powder, it has surprised me how often both best accuracy and high speed have come at or very near max charges!
    Last edited by 1hole; 07-20-2020 at 06:55 PM.