Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 410 reloader

Boolit Buddy

410 reloader

I managed to screw up my "shooting shoulder" and it is painful to shoot trap with my regular 12 gauge. I just ordered a 410 as I want to continue breaking clay birds. With the sky high price of store bought ammo, I want to reload. The MEC single stage set-up looks like it would do the job. I am retired, so time at the reloading bench is no big deal. Anybody reload 410 on a MEC and also powder recomendations for 2 1/2" length, half ounce loads (I have on hand Longshot, IMR4227, and L'il Gun and can find most powders locally). Thanks for your help, looking forward to getting some fresh air and smelling gun smoke.

Boolit Master
    The MEC will do you fine, a bit slower than a 9000 but with 410s that can be a good thing. I use my 600 for 3 inch and load 2 1/2 on my 9000, I’m not retired, yet. Little gun will load a good 410 load, but it is a bit hard on hulls, seems to burn the crimp. I like 296(h110, same) for my 410s, it fits well in the AAHS and the cheap hulls, but the crimp seating will be different. 16 yard trap is a challenge with a 410, but sometimes that’s half the fun! Did you consider 3/4 oz 12 ga, 3/4 of 9s does a fine job to about the 21 yard line.
    Have fun, beware 410s can be addictive!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I’d get a Lyman shotshell reloading manual and go from there. It’s the most comprehensive shotgun reloading manual out there. FYI, WW296/H110 are probably one of the most used powders in 410

Boolit Master
    Forgot to add, my experience is the faster loads in the 2 1/2 patter better than the 1200fps. Also spring for magnum shot and 8 1/2 or 9 for pattern density. Look up a 296 load that is equilivent to the STS sporting clays load. If memory serves its between 1275 and 1325. That level load gave a more consistent pattern in my Briley tubes and Winchester M42. The STS skeet load, at 1200 vs the STS sporting load, the sporting gave better patterns and broke targets better. I even found that true on the skeet field, but very little difference at the typical skeet distance, could be significant at the near 50% longer trap distance. Try both in your gun, the hulls are very good too. My son was a AAA class in 410, and the loads made a couple target difference in his score, per 100. That is BIG when you need 100 straight to make the shoot off!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I load 410 on a mec size master, once you get in a rhythm they go pretty quick. I like 296 in aa hulls.

Boolit Master
    I'm a big fan of the final tapered crimp for auto-loaders , that's lacking on the Mec 600 Jr , other than that they are a good loader .

Boolit Master

Get your shoulder fixed!!! I had the same problem. Now I don't. I love a .410 t fixing my shoulder was better than any advise by guys on a shooting forum.

Surgery sucks but it does get better!!!!!

Boolit Master
    better switch from trap to skeet if going with the 410

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a pair of MEC 410 loaders a Grabber and a 9000 . They do well enough for me now , I use W296 or H110 on my 410 loads . Also use REM and WIN hulls interchangeably with CB wads .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the info, I plan to dig up some 296/H110. Forgot to include this isn't ATA trap, just an excuse to make noise, shatter some clays and hang out with the guys a couple times a week.

Boolit Master
    if you are going to buy a loader do the sizemaster. and get the crimp starter from BPI

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I plan to dig up some 296/H110. Forgot to include this isn't ATA trap, just an excuse to make noise, shatter some clays and hang out with the guys a couple times a week.

In that case, you will definitely have fun, 30 yards is pushing the 410 and gotta be QUICK to get on an ATA target by then. I used my Cabelas points last year and again this year to get two cordless remote traps. Setup at my barn, I can throw pairs to shoot from around the field below the barn. Great fun and I can change “stations” to work with a 410 or realistic long shot practice with a 12. I pick up targets from below the club skeet fields and recycle, dirt cheap fun!

When I was a teen, all I had for trap and hunting was an H&R single shot .410. At that time I reloaded using a Lee loader. With an appropriate charge of Red Dot or 700X and 3/4 ounce of shot even an eager kid could smoke a respectable number and wing the rest. I did have teen reflexes for a speed advantage, but that was it.

Boolit Master
    Use an old MEC 600 for 2.5" 410 with 2400. Check your bushing charge weight, the bushing listed for 2400 dropped very light and I had to enlarge the opening to get close to the recommended charge. Not sure what hulls you are using but have been told there is a difference between the old W-W and the new, but haven't seen any reliable info on that. My 410 is a SKB O/U choke IC and Mod and is a pleasure to shoot and carry in the field. The 410 will do pretty well out to 25-30 yards depending on choke, learned this one year when dove season was due to start and I found myself without a shotgun. Buddy lent me a IC choked Rem 11-48 and the only loads I could find were 2.5" #9 skeet loads. Keeping the ranges to 25 yards or less surprised myself, went 24 shots for a 15 bird limit, at least as good or maybe better than with my 12 gauge. As was said earlier 410's can be addictive and, with maybe the 28 gauge, are still worth loading for.

H110/W296 is the .410 powder 16 gr for 1/2 oz loads with New/ NOT Recycled! Shot#9 shot.

You can buy O/F .410 hulls off Trapshooters.com usually,,, I got a 1000 for $150. and .15 ea. is a bargain!!!

I also got a Pacific DL 266 Loader there, which is the Cadillac of Single Stage Loaders. It cost me $250 ! but loads Perfect .410's

I had an 8lb jug of H110 that I bought many years ago to load my .44's with. It was not getting used up, so I bought a $2000 shotgun and another $500 worth of stuff so I could use up the H110. Made sense at the time.

My Browning Citori Sporting Clays Edition with 32" barrels is a dream to shoot skeet with. I'd have to have a much faster reaction time to shoot Trap with it as you have about .3 second to get the bird before it is out of range of a .410. I'm not that good with a 12 ga.

It is addictive!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I load my 410 with 2400 in 2 1/2" and I use the Mec 600 single stage works for me all these years. I also have the old Lee hand loader in 2 1/2 and 3" I find to finish off the 3" it work best with the Lee. But done everything else with the Mec. If you like look for on here to load and fire form brass cases to shoot in the 410 . I just use the same data I use for the regular hulls and see no problems , it works for me .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

My Browning Citori Sporting Clays Edition with 32" barrels is a dream to shoot skeet with. I'd have to have a much faster reaction time to shoot Trap with it as you have about .3 second to get the bird before it is out of range of a .410. I'm not that good with a 12 ga.

It is addictive!

Randy
    We “had” a Browning Citori 725 32” in 28 gauge in the shop for cleaning and to replace the springs as well as firing pins . Now it’s no big secret I’m partial to Brownings and more specifically the Belgium made Superposed and A-5’s . However I have a soft spot for the various Citori’s in 16 gauge and when I fingered that 725 32” that one as well . I think the going rate now for a 725 32” new is pushing 3G’s if not a skoosh over . Most of my Superposed Guns were had for less then 2G’s the exceptions were the two circa 1970 Skeet guns in 28 and 410 . I still wanna get a mid 60’s 20 gauge Superposed 26 1/2” IC/M as they have 3” chambers and possibly 12 gauge that’s 26 1/2” IC/M .

For the 410 on a MEC, a Sizemaster will do what you want. It lends itself for custom modified shells. Don't get less for the 410, it is a stinker to get good crimps. The Grabber series or 9000 have the best crimp. Been loading 410 over fifty years. When I got the 8567 I was done buying presses for the 410. My propellant of choice is 2400. I use it in shells 2" to 3". The 2" shells drop limb rats from the tallest pine tree. The MEC is a once in a lifetime expense.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

I wanted to reload a few .410 shells but didn't want the high dollar price tag of a .410 reloader.
    Unfortunately Lee does not make one for .410 .
    So I thought how hard could it be?
    I made my own that works with a 1/2 ton arbor press.
    Works fantastic.
    Perhaps someday I may make one that works with a turret press, just for fun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunarea View Post
    For the 410 on a MEC, a Sizemaster will do what you want. It lends itself for custom modified shells. Don't get less for the 410, it is a stinker to get good crimps. The Grabber series or 9000 have the best crimp. Been loading 410 over fifty years. When I got the 8567 I was done buying presses for the 410. My propellant of choice is 2400. I use it in shells 2" to 3". The 2" shells drop limb rats from the tallest pine tree. The MEC is a once in a lifetime expense.
    Roy
    I’ve picked up a bunch of good used MEC’s at very reasonable prices in the last fifteen years , got a 410 600 JR then three years ago a 410 Grabber came my way so I sold the 410 JR then not to long after the Grabber a 9000 in 410 came my way . Now the Grabber and 9000 work very well but to be honest they don’t hold a candle to the Ponsness Warren 800C 410 I had back in my Skeet competition days . But that can be said about all four gauges as far as a PW vs a MEC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast