Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Magneto speed chronographs

Boolit Buddy

Magneto speed chronographs

Anyone with any experience with these things? Thinking of buying one and I'm wondering if they work with cast boolits. Also wondering if the "kit" ($339 at midway) is worth the extra $$.
    Any help much appreciated.

Boolit Master

not sure what yur talking about BUT any brand I've ever heard of will measure anything from spitball ammo to mach 3 220 Swift loads. Cast bullets will makes no difference ( i dont think)

Boolit Buddy
    Not speaking from experience here so...
    But if a copper and lead jacketed bullet trips the magnetic field I don’t see why a cast bullet also containing lead and often copper wouldn’t

Boolit Buddy
    I might be concerned with spraying it down with lube though. I mean it’s RIGHT there where it would get sprayed down. I don’t know what effect that might have on accuracy or durability at all. Just thinking out loud.

I have the Sporter model. They work well, not too high dollar. Cast works like everything else going across the bayonet. The V3 version that you're looking at has the display unit that uses a microSD card and holds alot more data than the Sporter. I just use it for velocity nodes and not use it at the same time looking for groups. I write the speeds down while waiting for the barrel to cool.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Sporter model. They work well, not too high dollar. Cast works like everything else going across the bayonet. The V3 version that you're looking at has the display unit that uses a microSD card and holds alot more data than the Sporter. I just use it for velocity nodes and not use it at the same time looking for groups. I write the speeds down while waiting for the barrel to cool.
    Thanks to all for the info. I shoot PC only, so no lube spray to worry about.
    Now, if I can JUST make the wife see the utility of it......

Boolit Master
    I was impressed with the write ups I read about them, wanted to get one, but my $99 chrony f1 seems pretty accurate every time I use it. If they had produced it when I had pockets full o cash back when I got the crony I would have gone for the magneto, no need to unpack rods and screens set it up and drag out tripod.

I have one, sometimes it works for cast (BO & 308W), sometimes not. I use BLL and not a problem. I'm going to test alloys (if it ever gets cool here) to see if adding tin makes it work better. The mounting rig is the biggest problem. Somewhat picky about alignment to make it work right. They added a rail adapter so it 'could' work for plastic pistols. Adaptor is ~30$.
    Last edited by popper; 07-17-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Whatever!

I also have the Sporter model and it works well enough to get a viable reading off most rifles. However, I could not get mine to work with .22 or .17 rim fire cartridges. I have never tried the Sporter with pistols or shotguns because of its configuration. I do miss my old Crony; can they still be purchased anywhere?

Boolit Buddy
    i have one, haven't used it in years. the hassle with setting up the screens, etc. is why i quit using it. if you're interested, pm me and we can work something out.

Boolit Grand Master

I was told they werent reliable with BP or paper patched bullets. They are nice in that there is nothing "in front of the rifle" to accidentally shoot. When I was looking to replace my Pact professional it was between the magneto speed and lab radar. I have seen them used on the range and have a friend that has one. they work well and are a good tool. A little more set up than the lab radar, but not nearly as much as a sky screen model. With the bayonet in front of the muzzle I dont see them very handy on muzzle loaders either.

There are many good units available and all work look at the reviews and research them some decide whats right for you.

I too, recently acquired the Sporter, and yes it detectss lead projectiles. Like above, it is finiky on mounting, and even more so on full-lugged revolvers. If you have patience, it's an excellent tool. The V3 was not worth the extra cost to me. I'd rather get the LabRadar if I were investing over $300 in a chrony.

Boolit Master
    I noticed yesterday mid south has I think the sporter model for $168 on the front page of web site

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    I too, recently acquired the Sporter, and yes it detectss lead projectiles. Like above, it is finiky on mounting, and even more so on full-lugged revolvers. If you have patience, it's an excellent tool. The V3 was not worth the extra cost to me. I'd rather get the LabRadar if I were investing over $300 in a chrony.
    This....sparkyv beat me to the punch line!
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.