RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee Target No Error loader kit

Lee Target No Error loader kit

I recently acquired one of these in 270 Win. It didn't come with instructions. I found a set on here. To bad it has the Photo Bucket across it. I can still read them ok.
    Now having a set in hand there are things about it I like.
    The Micrometer adjusting seating I like.
    Coming with the case length gauge and cutter/lock stud is good too. The pilot for the case length gauge is steel, another thing I like. The current ones are aluminum.
    On the primer tool, do the shell holder thread in? I haven't tried unscrewing it yet, Hate to mess it up. The shell holder in it is marked F.
    The powder scoop is a red one marked 203. Aren't the red scoops marked in cubic inches? If so this would be .205 CI, right?
    I haven't tried running any cases through it to try the neck reamer. I find that part interesting.
    Once I get a set of instructions, I'll size and ream some cases and measure before and after.
    The bullet steatig stem seems to be a closer fit in this set than in the regular sets I have,
    The reamer has very little to no side to side play in the bore it rides in.
    I do have an arbor press to use it with so no whack a mole.
    Thanks
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 07-16-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    you can download dipper chart from lee web site. the primer tool if its the gray pot metal one primer at a time type with black steel shell holder the shell holder treads into it and the primer seating pin can be changed out to small or large if you can find the parts and other shell holders for it. they have not been made in decades. I have one and still works great.

Boolit Master
    Use only cases once fired in your rifle.
    Knock out the spent primers with the decapping punch.
    Drive each case into the reamer guide/sizer body and slowly ream it. Reaming only has to be done once per case.
    Once reamed knock out the case and set aside.
    Once they are all reamed shake out and wash out the shavings.
    Seat new primers with the hand tool.

Charge your cases with your powder scale and a regular handloading manual.
    Use the base under the case heads so they drop down out of the sizer body so the tapered neck sizer permits the neck to expand when using jacketed bullets. Over sized cast bullets will not work.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Your Lee "Zero" kit is a jewel, hang onto it, especially that inside neck turner and the seating die. Wish I'd gotten a half dozen of them when they were easy to purchase.

You can use some cases that were fired in other rifles but, since your Zero sizer is a neck die, you should try to chamber and close the bolt on each of your cases in YOUR rig before trying to work with them. Those that will fully chamber will be fine, use them. Store any cases that won't easily chamber for later when you get a conventional press and a full length sizer.

Yep, as above. Since you are only neck sizing, a hard plastic mallet works fine as it’s only 2-3 sacks to fully seat the neck in the sizer. And again, you only ream once. The “F” shell holder fits so many cases such as 30-06, 308, 45 acp etc., you may find yourself using it for other cases as well. You adjust primer depth by how much you screw it in. As is, it works fine for jacketed bullets but you will need to flare the case mouth for cast.

Boolit Grand Master
    Congrats on getting to the absolute top of the heap of Lee Loaders. I don’t have a set of instructions for a 270 specifically, but I may have a general set I can scan. Actually, the only instructions specific to the caliber are for bullet and powder charge weights.

I think you will find that powder measure is calibrated in cubic centimeters not inches. Regardless, you will need to use a scale and the powder you wish to load and check it. If you find the original powder chart for the set, it will list several powders and their volumetric charges with that dipper. They will likely be well below max loads... that was the way Lee provided a margin of safety.

The repriming tool is probably my favorite part of the whole set. Since yours is for the 270, it also works for the whole 30-06/308 family of cartridges as well as the 45 ACP. For other large primer cases you need only find the proper shell holder and screw it in, and if you want to load small primers, the change simply requires a small primer rod as well. Occasionally disassembling this tool one adding a touch of grease on the internal bearing surface should increase its life greatly.

Enjoy your new loading kit!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I found a set of instuctions on this site. They had the big stripe across them from photobucket. I could read them well enough to understand just how the reamer and micrometer seater worked.
    On the dipper it has a red one. I thought the early red ones were in cubic inches. The later yellow ones are in cc's.
    The regular sets come with the very minimum of tools that just do the basics of loading. This sets comes with all the extra's for trimming as well.
    I may shop around and see if I can find others for some of my other calibers. Like the 7 mm Mauser, 250 Savage, 280 Remington.
    I doubt I'll find one for the 223 or the 6.5 CM. Well maybe the 223, That may have come too late for these loaders.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    I made some great .222 ammunition with the Lee Target loader....but it was very slow.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    I found a set of instuctions on this site. They had the big stripe across them from photobucket. I could read them well enough to understand just how the reamer and micrometer seater worked.
    On the dipper it has a red one. I thought the early red ones were in cubic inches. The later yellow ones are in cc's.
    The regular sets come with the very minimum of tools that just do the basics of loading. This sets comes with all the extra's for trimming as well.
    I may shop around and see if I can find others for some of my other calibers. Like the 7 mm Mauser, 250 Savage, 280 Remington.
    I doubt I'll find one for the 223 or the 6.5 CM. Well maybe the 223, That may have come too late for these loaders.
    Leo
    The only complete set I still have is for 22-250 for my Ruger #1-V. I think there are still some odds and ends of a 30-06 set but it's nothing like complete. I don't think I've ever seen a set in 223 and am sure they were discontinued before 6.5 Creedmoor was even dreamed of. You may get lucky and find the other three you are looking for... the 7X57 and 250-3000 were commonly reloaded in those days. I had a set of 310 dies for the 280 at one time, IIRC, but have never seen them for the Zero Error Lee. Good luck, the chase is the sport!

Froggie

Boolit Master

A local gun shop and a whole stack of them on sale when Lee discontinued the Zero Target Lee Loader's. There ere .25-06, 6mm Remington, 30-06, .308 Win., .223 Rem., and 22-250. He was asking $15.00 a set and I wish I had bought every one he had while I was in there. I went back a couple of weeks later and they were all gone. I would bet that someone made some good money on them at a later date. I did not have a .223 at the time but wish I had a set now. james

So 223 sets are out there. Good to know. I'll keep my eye out for one.
    The 280 I have a complete 310 set less the F/L shell sizer.
    The 7 mm Mauser I have the 310 set + the shell sizer.
    The 250 Savage set is an old one. It came I the longer plain cardboard box with an orange label.
    The 30/30 set is complete with sizer.
    The 7.62x54R set has the sizer.
    The others are just the 310 sets less the Shell sizer
    9 sets and some misc. bits and pieces.
    The 270 set I found on Ebay and made a $50 bid and figured someone would want it more than I did but nobody else bid. I currently don't have a 270. I sold mine to a friend.
    I may get another just to try out this set.
    The 7mm Mauser and the 223 are at the top of the list, but if the others come up at a reasonable price I'll get them too.
    Leo

I sold my 30-06 target loader sometime after we got dies for the RCBS rock chucker in high school in the 70’s. I later found a 308 kit that I bought and then found just the sizer body for 30-06 so in sense, I have it back.
    These are good kits for rifles that will accept neck size ammo fired in the same gun. Brass lasts a long time, but as stated, slow.
    And now it appears these have found a following with reloaders and you can get in a bidding war if someone wants it. Some calibers going for crazy money.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think it’s a matter of who sees a particular set offered that determines price (as is common with all auctions.) There is a balance between a set being in a popular caliber, thus more common but desirable to use, and a set being in a rare caliber that someone buys “just to collect.” The auction market is always moving.

As for the priming tool... I regard this as one of the best things Lee ever made. I probably have ten or more around and a variety of shell holders (but always open to calibers I lack!) Whoever mentioned greasing the interior rub point lightly spoke well... that’s about the only maintenance they need, and changing shell holders and even priming stems only requires “field stripping” by unscrewing the shell holder. As you can probably tell, I really like these tools!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

For unbiased Lee information from real life users I go here; http://www.lee-loader.com/index.php "Home of the "Low Life Lee Lovers!". Several Lee "experts" and unbiased users of all Lee products. One of my nearly daily stops...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks mdi. I didn’t know this website existed ( no reason it shouldn’t though!) I’m in process of registering with ranch dog and plan to stop by fairly often.

Froggie