Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hello - Just Joined

Hello - Just Joined

I'm new to reloading. I have a Browning 1886 (Miroku) and a Rolling Block (Pedersoli) both in 45-70.

Bought a box of Cast Performance (Grizzly Cartridge Co) 458/405 gr WLNGC to shoot in the RB after reading several very positive reviews.

Unfortunately, I can't find any reloading data for this particular boolit in any of my manuals. Did I put the cart before the horse?

Are there resources for reloading data for this particular boolit? Not asking anyone to give me any loads, just where I can go to get them.

Can you use standard loading data for cast boolits when shooting them with gas checks or do you have to reduce the load to account for the increased pressure? Is there some kind of formula to apply?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Dogbone13; 07-25-2020 at 01:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Good place to start on all of this the the Lyman Cast Handbook no4. It has load data for cast boolits on just about everything. For now you can go here:http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle look up 45-70 for a 405gr boolit and they list 12 different powders that will work for you. Start low and work up. Trapdoor loads will be fun to shoot.

Welcome, you started right by asking for help. You may not get a direct answer but will get a lead for where to find the answers with this group and if stuck will probably get a direct answer too.

I have found that the basic difference between a gas check load and plain base is that you can push a GC boolit to higher velocities, within reason. No magic formulas just speed. I limit non GC to 1800 fps.

This link will give you a bunch of info.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...?60-Gas-Checks
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Welcome to one of the best forums online! Lots of nice, knowledgeable folks here to help you. I've also got a Roller, an 1873 .43 Spanish, so can't help you much with the .45-70. Oh, I've got a .45-70 also, but it's an Marlin, so different data. Again, welcome aboard!

Boolit Master
    In your rifles I would opt for a softer boolit, those ones you've got are meant for high end 45/70 loads in the Marlin, Ruger. The bullet design is excellent and prolly an LBT design, but I'd rather they were 20-1 or so.

Boolit Master

MT Chambers is correct. 20-1 lead/tin is a good alloy for black powder. You won't need to gas check your boolits for black powder loads.
    Back when I loaded and shot a Uberti 1885 hi-wall, in 45-70, that's the alloy I used. I cast and loaded the Lyman 457125 over a weighed charge of 70 grains of FF Goex black. I also set a .060 card wad between the black, and the base of the boolit. This combination would shoot five shots in 1" at 100 yards. Remember to "never" leave an air space between the black powder and the base of the boolit. Most of the time, and in my own loads, it was best to compress the powder charge, before seating the boolit.
    Theres a lot of experienced BP shooters here on the forum. If you ask, they would be glad to share their expierience.
    Welcome to the Castboolits.
    Regards
    Last edited by littlejack; 07-17-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Banned

Welcome from Texas! Also, welcome to the wonderful world of 45/70's.

Boolit Master

Welcome from Atlanta, NY, 733 mi. almost due North. See, half a dozen answers already and enough info to get you started.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Welcome
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Welcome to the fun , like stated ask and someone will be able to help. You always learning on here from someone. I am .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Thanks for the welcome guys. Appreciate it and the great info provided. Forgot to mention that I'm only loading smokeless to start out. Not sure about black. Maybe down the road. Shoot safe and shoot lots.
    Last edited by Dogbone13; 07-17-2020 at 11:05 AM.

Boolit Master

Dogbone:
    Oops, my bad. I just assumed you were going to be burning black in your rifles. Yes, I know better than to assume.
    Anyway, I am going to add, that I enjoyed loading with black in my 45-70, than I did smokeless. As far as clean up goes, it was far less trouble to use black, than clean up after smokeless.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by littlejack View Post
    Dogbone:
    Oops, my bad. I just assumed you were going to be burning black in your rifles. Yes, I know better than to assume.
    Anyway, I am going to add, that I enjoyed loading with black in my 45-70, than I did smokeless. As far as clean up goes, it was far less trouble to use black, than clean up after smokeless.
    Regards
    Really? Would not have "assumed" that. Interesting.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome aboard. I've used a variety of powders for that bullet weight, to include 3031 & 4198. I look for loads in the trap door range and have had wonderful results down there. There are good reasons to hot rod the cartridge in some instances, but I've hunted everything with a top end trap door load, shot one holer's on occasion, and have never looked back. You know what you want to end up with as far as performance, and the .45-70 can do it all. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Welcome aboard. I've used a variety of powders for that bullet weight, to include 3031 & 4198. I look for loads in the trap door range and have had wonderful results down there. There are good reasons to hot rod the cartridge in some instances, but I've hunted everything with a top end trap door load, shot one holer's on occasion, and have never looked back. You know what you want to end up with as far as performance, and the .45-70 can do it all. Good luck
    Impressive. Thanks for the advice!
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. NRA Life Member

Banned
    Welcome and as a side note those Pedersoli rifles are well made and the ones I have seen at the shoots are very accurate there is a wealth of cast information on the site and most of the old timers have forgot more than a lot of us even know/// have fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4
    45 - 70 Government (for 1873 Springfield)
    Start with the data listed for Lyman #457193
    This is a 405 grain , wide flat point , with a gas check .

If you are interested in loading cast boolits you really want to pick up a copy of this book ...(Edition #3 is also good to own if you can find one .) Read the 18 informational chapters in edition #4 , that precede the load data section ....tons of great information right there between your two hands !

Start low and work up , 8 different smokeless powders are listed .
    Welcome , good luck and Load Safe
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 07-20-2020 at 02:08 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4
    45 - 70 Government (for 1873 Springfield)
    Start with the data listed for Lyman #457193
    This is a 405 grain , wide flat point , with a gas check .

If you are interested in loading cast boolits you really want to pick up a copy of this book ...(Edition #3 is also good to own if you can find one .) Read the 18 informational chapters in edition #4 , that precede the load data section ....tons of great information right there between your two hands !

Start low and work up , 8 different smokeless powders are listed .
    Welcome , good luck and Load Safe
    Gary
    That is great information. Thanks. Will see if I can locate the #4 Handbook.

Best/Easy smokeless loads I've made involved trailboss and 300gr Bear creek store bought CB. A smokeless design with no lube grooves.