MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: ‘03 Air Service magazine questions

Boolit Master

‘03 Air Service magazine questions

I inherited a 20 round air service magazine which belonged to my dad. He had purchased a Remington ‘03 Springfield before I came along which had the large magazine installed; he wasn’t aware that the magazine was somewhat rare and he eventually remove it and went with a 03-A3 floor plate (which; even to my young, inexperienced eyes looked terrible). Now the magazine spring was astounding; it was wound in a rectangular pattern and when relaxed was about three feet long. Over time, dad decided the spring was taking up to much space and it was discarded. I’d like to know if there might be a spring available that would allow using the magazine once again. I’ve seen the extended magazine’s for the ‘98 Mauser and was wondering if anyone had taken the follower out to inspect the spring. Thanks, guys
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Now there is a rare question, an unusual question, and one likely never to be encountered again! I think that I would start my search by contacting Gun Parts Corp. and SARCO. I think your best bet is to acquire an original, as trying to make a duplicate would involve a lot of guesswork as to how many coils and how much springy tension. Perhaps, just perhaps, Wolff Gun Springs might be able to help you. I doubt if they make these, but they might have a drawing or specifications. Also, there are collector forums and military antiquities dealers where you might turn one up. If you find another complete magazine you will have that spring to use in making a replacement for the first magazine. An expensive item, I would think. Good luck with your search.

Boolit Master
    Der, thanks for responding! If only we had known what the magazine actually was, we would have treated it with the respect it deserved. The old gunsmith I hung around as a kid insisted it was a BAR magazine that had been modified, but dad knew better, having been thru Parris Island in '44 and being familiar with the automatic rifle. I'll give SARCO and Numrich a call; thanks for the idea.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitty View Post
    I inherited a 20 round air service magazine which belonged to my dad. He had purchased a Remington ‘03 Springfield before I came along which had the large magazine installed; he wasn’t aware that the magazine was somewhat rare and he eventually remove it and went with a 03-A3 floor plate (which; even to my young, inexperienced eyes looked terrible). Now the magazine spring was astounding; it was wound in a rectangular pattern and when relaxed was about three feet long. Over time, dad decided the spring was taking up to much space and it was discarded. I’d like to know if there might be a spring available that would allow using the magazine once again. I’ve seen the extended magazine’s for the ‘98 Mauser and was wondering if anyone had taken the follower out to inspect the spring. Thanks, guys
    Numrich Arms has a 10-round magazine for $50ish. And I saw someone else that had the 20rd Air Service magazines the other day, but can't find them today. So far, anyway.

Boolit Master
    After a quick Google run found discussion that the Springfield Armory Historic site (The real Springfield Armory) had a complete rifle in the collection. Possible communication with them may lead to some specifics. I went to a Garand Collectors event years ago and several of us were allowed to be walked through the upstairs room, hands at sides and no touch, and no pictures was the rule. It was too much too fast and as we all really tried hard slow walking them they kept us moving, there was everything you would/could think of and then way more and I mean everything. It truly was one of those you had to see it to believe it. We were informed from the beginning of the Armory, at the birth of this great nation, they were collecting every specimen of firearm from every corner of the earth for analysis, study and reverse engineering. Very interesting piece you have and enjoy the quest!