Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: HORNADY stops making .348 bullets

Boolit Buddy

HORNADY stops making .348 bullets

Just watched North 61 video on HORNADY stoping production of the .348 200 gr fp and ftx bullets. Stock up if you can find them.

Banned

I cast a 200 grain bullet for my Siamese mauser I rebarreled to 348 winchester.

Yep, nice and quiet, they get rid of them. Hopefully not forever. There's already getting to be a few new videos out on swaging .358 dia jacketed down, hopefully the cores don't come loose as they can.

Boolit Master
    Hawk Bullets, Barnes Bullets and Swift Bullets still make bullets for the .348. Pricey but good bullets for big tough stuff. Good molds available for smaller stuff and fun shooting.

Boolit Grand Master

Drawing down .358 bullets to .348 shouldn't be a problem. I do Speer .338 down to .329 one pass in a Lee push through sizer, lube them up real good and they go right through. I do not think the cores come loose or seperate but the "hot core' design of the 200 gr bullet make help with that? Accuracy is as good as the Privi 208 gr fmj .
    Charter Member #148

swheeler, yes. Speer hot core is one of the few I hear works ok. I think as long as you don't have to go past the minimum diameter, to make the right diameter, you should be ok. When you have to go smaller than .348 to make .348, there's a chance the jacket will come free from the lead upon spring back.

Boolit Buddy
    In the past i have sized down .358 remington core-lokt bullets to shoot in my 348.they shot well.i used three lee sizing dies, .355,.351 and .348.

Vendor Sponsor

There are always cast bullets.

My boyhood dream rifle was the Winchester 71. As a young man I was lucky to find a little used standard model and shot my first few elk with it using jacketed bullets. Sometime in the 1980's I got an NEI 235 grain GC bullet mold and figured out how to cast and heat treat two part cast bullets and run them full out in the 348 Win.
    It was kinda a lot of effort but I was on a mission and it was all fun working it out.

A 235gr 348 bullet at 2325 fps will kill large game well. A two part bullet, heat treated WW shank with a 20/1 nose acts a lot like a Nosler partition bullet. The nose expands and may be lost but the shank drives through. There are better high-tec jacketed bullets for sure but it works.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

This may sound a little goofy but in my playing around with the 348 Win I also learned how to paper patch .338 bullets (jacketed bullets) and shoot them in the 348 win with accuracy. I would cut the nose of a 338 Hornady 225gr to a flat and shoot them.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I don't shoot my .348 much but I've got a Mountain Mold 250 gr. I don't know if the previous owner shot any jacketed bullets or not. I've never shot anything but cast. Hornady can pound sand or change their mind if enough make them aware.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

Smile you made me do it

:
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Just watched North 61 video on HORNADY stoping production of the .348 200 gr fp and ftx bullets. Stock up if you can find them.
    Out of stock up North for at least 2 years. Did a search and found 1 box, had to buy it!
    Found 3 more boxes
    Last edited by bigbear; 07-21-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I bought 300 last year--between that and my two molds, a 350-220C from Accurate and the RCBS 348-200 I am set for life.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a ten point on the wall i killed with a 250 gr. Cast from a mountain molds mold i designed.

Boolit Grand Master

And you can also powder coat.
    We PC for 375 H&H, 50 Alaskan, 405 JES and the lowly 33 Winchester and push then as hard as we want most with a GC. 80% loads with no GC.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I only have about 70 Hornady 348 bullets left and part of a box of Barnes. Guess I need to find a few more so the kids can shoot it some when I pass it on. Same way with my 405. Getting hard to find brass or bullets for either of them.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    This may sound a little goofy but in my playing around with the 348 Win I also learned how to paper patch .338 bullets (jacketed bullets) and shoot them in the 348 win with accuracy. I would cut the nose of a 338 Hornady 225gr to a flat and shoot them.
    I have been thinking about doing this above. Did a search and landed here!

Good to know it's been done before (most things have!).

I have 600 of the Hornady and about 250 Barnes, but you always need to have a plan B! Actually, have cast, so that is Plan B. Paper patch is Plan C!

Tim
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Quote Originally Posted by tarbe View Post
    I have been thinking about doing this above. Did a search and landed here!

Good to know it's been done before (most things have!).

I have 600 of the Hornady and about 250 Barnes, but you always need to have a plan B! Actually, have cast, so that is Plan B. Paper patch is Plan C!

Tim
    Cast and paper patch them. You will have an inexpensive bullet that will do standard factory velocity and perform as well as jacketed. I have been doing that for several years with .30-40; the animals don't know the difference.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    Yep, nice and quiet, they get rid of them. Hopefully not forever. There's already getting to be a few new videos out on swaging .358 dia jacketed down, hopefully the cores don't come loose as they can.
    i've done it and it will work

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady has/is dropping a lot of their "specialty" bullets over the last few years. The Winchester 375 220 grain FN bullet was the first I noticed, along with the Jap/M-S 160 grain round nose 6.5 bullet and the 0.228" Savage 22 Hi-Power 70 grain bullet. It stinks, but with the demand for all types of reloading components I do understand the economics of the decision.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    Good thing we're bullet casters. Jacketed bullets in something like a .348 would only be a crutch for the lazy.