Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: BLL and Triple 7

BLL and Triple 7

I知 getting closer to shooting a couple of 1-20 twist 45 cal muzzle loaders . Because I powder coat everything I missed a lot of bullet lube information. I have Alox and floor polish to make BLL . I知 willing to buy lube or ingredients to make something else if I need to. Is there any sort of consensus on what to use with 777 ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    BLL works fine in my muzzle loaders with black powder. Use a THIN coat

Boolit Grand Master

I've tried all kinds of things over time. I'm currently on a mink oil kick. I have yet to find anything that definitively is better than straight Crisco. Mink oil is very similar, and I trust it more as an all around gun metal rust protectant. Crisco turns waxy over time, but it sure makes a heck of a bullet or patch lube. Hopefully I'm only a couple months away from trying bear grease. It seems to me that the more complicated you make a muzzleloader lube, the worse off you are.

Boolit Master

SPG, bees wax and Olive oil will work better than BLL as they don't contain petroleum products. even though 777 is a substitute black powder it should stay away from petroleum products.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    SPG, bees wax and Olive oil will work better than BLL as they don't contain petroleum products. even though 777 is a substitute black powder it should stay away from petroleum products.
    I知 sure I知 going to palm my forehead with the obviousness but , what is SPG ?

Boolit Master

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1503542859/

Most all big vendors sell it

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Do you mix all three? Or is it either spg OR bees wax and olive oil?
    What are the ratios ?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Do you mix all three? Or is it either spg OR bees wax and olive oil?
    What are the ratios ?
    Thanks

No, don't mix them together. Use one or the other, individually. As for a beeswax and olive oil mix, I use 1 part wax to 3 parts oil. Here in western NY that mix works good for me yea round. It makes a soft paste at room temperature that stays soft during December's muzzle loader season. In the heat of July it is really soft but still very effective. I use it on conicals and as patch lube although I don't shoot many conicals these days. Works good for both. MSM is correct, straight Crisco is a great lube! Only reason I mix BW & OO is because I use it to keep my skin from drying out in the cold dry air of winter.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown