Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersADvertise here
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 3495 USD (58%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357 Rossi

Boolit Bub
    Just did a search for .358 GC boolits. EVERYONE has .358s, no one that i ever used has any decent selections in the grainages i'm lookin for. And I haven't found one that makes a boolit with a shank to apply my own checks. Whats everyone's feeling about these new "coated" boolits? Do they make checks obsolote ?

Boolit Master

I own 2 Rossi's, a 20" and 24".The Lee 125RNFP is the most accurate bullet by far. Both guns will average 3 moa. ten shot groups at 100 yds with that bullet in the 1200-1400 fps range. My silhouette load (100yd) is 4.5/Bullseye in mag cases for 1200 fps. The Lee TLSWC 158gr shoots pretty well (about 4-5"@100yds) in .38 cases with 5 grs of Unique. The Lee 120TC 9mm bullet is an accuracy winner also.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    - C. S. Lewis

Boolit Buddy
    I am one of those unfortunate people who's Rossi doesn't like lighter boolits. 158gr rnfp group and feed great but 125gr rnfp jam and shoot shotgun patterns.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Man
    Been playing with my Rossi for a few weeks. So far it seems to like the Lee 124 grain TCTL bullet with about 5 grains of Unique. I don't have to size it. I've also had luck with the 170 grain Lee SWC. My gun does not like the 105 grain Lee SWC. I'm still in the experimental stage. It is a fun gun for sure.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by beefyz View Post
    Just did a search for .358 GC boolits. EVERYONE has .358s, no one that i ever used has any decent selections in the grainages i'm lookin for. And I haven't found one that makes a boolit with a shank to apply my own checks. Whats everyone's feeling about these new "coated" boolits? Do they make checks obsolote ?
    It is tough to buy bullets from someone who hasn't added checks. I don't find coated replaced gas checks though it depends on what velocity you're shooting.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beefyz View Post
    I shoot hi-tek coated in quite a few of my guns I have not shot full power loads in my Rossi but have shot some in the 1300 to 1400 range with no leading I use GC on several of my loads for .357 .44 and 45-70 and just like any cast the faster you shoot them the more critical becomes fit and alloy but both are more forgiving of alloy and size than regular cast. That is my experience

Boolit Master

I wissh I had read about the1:30 twist before, rather than after my purchase.
    It would have never had a place in my safe.

Finally got so-so accuracy at 50pushing 358156 and sighted with a tang sight.

I can NOT use that buckhorn sight that came on the rifle!
    We just don't get along!

I was going to get rid of it, but the resale is so low I'll keep it and plink with it occasionaly.
    Who knows one day I may find a "useful/hunting" load for it.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 07-28-2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: add info
    Nothing is impossible for the person that does not have to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I think some of the confusion in this thread comes from the changes made by Rossi along the way. The older guns were made with a twist similar to 357 revolvers, so the rifles would shoot all the same loads (makes lots of sense to me). This would seem to be preferred for hunting and target shooting. I don't know exactly what year they switched over to the slow twist 1:30 like I have and that the OP is asking about, but that is clearly optimized for lighter bullets. I assume this was because the marketing dept. at Rossi came to realize that most of their sales were going to cowboy action shooters. Like the OP, I probably wouldn't have bought this gun if I realized that this slow-twist barrel would cause such problems with heavier bullets. However, I have found that accuracy is quite good with most 158 gr loads, and fantastic with any 140, 130 and 125 gr loads, whether in 38 or 357 cases. I'll just reserve those 180s for the revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I wissh I had read about the1:30 twist before, rather than after my purchase.
    It would have never had a place in my safe.

Finally got so-so accuracy at 50pushing 358156 and sighted with a tang sight.

I can NOT use that buckhorn sight that came on the rifle!
    We just don't get along!
    I changed the front and put a folding rear on mine and added a Marbles tang sight .
    The tang is sighted for the light loaded 130 rnfp and the folding rear for 158 jhp loaded to max.
    Works for me if I ever hunt with it would be for small game.

Lee 358-125 RNFP / win231 for plinking

140grXTP / H110 for more

LEE 125 ( blue ) with similar SNS RNFP

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    Lee 358-125 RNFP / win231 for plinking

140grXTP / H110 for more

LEE 125 ( blue ) with similar SNS RNFP

Nice looking rounds.
    Life long gun nut and proud of it!

Boolit Mold
    I had another constraint to worry about with mine. Besides the slow rate of twist needing higher velocity to shoot accurately, when I shot standard pressure .357 magnum out of my Rossi 92, the cases would be a little bit over-expanded near the rim and just at the end of the reach of a resizing die. I guess the chamber wides up a little back there. I don't like mixing the brass I'm using with this gun up with my other guns. It's hardly there at 38 special pressure, but the gun won't shoot 158 grain bullets at 38 special pressure very accurately, not even 125 grain jacketed 38 special. I tried 125gr RNFP 38 special loads in it once, but they were too short to cycle. I finally got the idea to shoot 125gr TCFP bullets with Hi-Tek coatings in 38 special. With 7.5 grains of Shooters World Auto Pistol, I get these going about 1350 fps at .38 special pressure, and that seems to do the trick--fast enough to be accurate at the slow rate of twist, long enough to cycle, and low enough pressure that the brass doesn't over expand where the chamber is larger.

Boolit Bub
    What a great (learning) post this has been ! I've some good news... looks like problem is solved. I'm collating all loads/results
    now and in a few days i'll post, hopefully with a target.
    I'll call it "Rossi 357 Update".

Boolit Master

Oddly enough, I picked one up yesterday so this information is pretty timely. Any loads or opinions are appreciated. Keep it coming.
    Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

― Confucius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12