RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Rossi

Boolit Bub
    Just did a search for .358 GC boolits. EVERYONE has .358s, no one that i ever used has any decent selections in the grainages i'm lookin for. And I haven't found one that makes a boolit with a shank to apply my own checks. Whats everyone's feeling about these new "coated" boolits? Do they make checks obsolote ?

Boolit Master

I own 2 Rossi's, a 20" and 24".The Lee 125RNFP is the most accurate bullet by far. Both guns will average 3 moa. ten shot groups at 100 yds with that bullet in the 1200-1400 fps range. My silhouette load (100yd) is 4.5/Bullseye in mag cases for 1200 fps. The Lee TLSWC 158gr shoots pretty well (about 4-5"@100yds) in .38 cases with 5 grs of Unique. The Lee 120TC 9mm bullet is an accuracy winner also.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    I am one of those unfortunate people who's Rossi doesn't like lighter boolits. 158gr rnfp group and feed great but 125gr rnfp jam and shoot shotgun patterns.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Buddy
    Been playing with my Rossi for a few weeks. So far it seems to like the Lee 124 grain TCTL bullet with about 5 grains of Unique. I don't have to size it. I've also had luck with the 170 grain Lee SWC. My gun does not like the 105 grain Lee SWC. I'm still in the experimental stage. It is a fun gun for sure.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by beefyz View Post
    Just did a search for .358 GC boolits. EVERYONE has .358s, no one that i ever used has any decent selections in the grainages i'm lookin for. And I haven't found one that makes a boolit with a shank to apply my own checks. Whats everyone's feeling about these new "coated" boolits? Do they make checks obsolote ?
    It is tough to buy bullets from someone who hasn't added checks. I don't find coated replaced gas checks though it depends on what velocity you're shooting.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I shoot hi-tek coated in quite a few of my guns I have not shot full power loads in my Rossi but have shot some in the 1300 to 1400 range with no leading I use GC on several of my loads for .357 .44 and 45-70 and just like any cast the faster you shoot them the more critical becomes fit and alloy but both are more forgiving of alloy and size than regular cast. That is my experience

Boolit Master

I wish I had read about the1:30 twist before, rather than after my purchase.
    The Rossi 92 would have never had a place in my safe.

Finally got so-so accuracy at 50 yds pushing 358156 and sighted with a tang sight.

I can NOT use that buckhorn sight that came on the rifle!
    For some reason I can not get a good sight picture with that sight.
    We just don't get along!

I was going to get rid of it, but the resale is so low I'll just keep it to plink with occasionally.
    Who knows one day I may find a "useful/hunting" load for it.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 09-07-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: add info/correct spelling
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    I think some of the confusion in this thread comes from the changes made by Rossi along the way. The older guns were made with a twist similar to 357 revolvers, so the rifles would shoot all the same loads (makes lots of sense to me). This would seem to be preferred for hunting and target shooting. I don't know exactly what year they switched over to the slow twist 1:30 like I have and that the OP is asking about, but that is clearly optimized for lighter bullets. I assume this was because the marketing dept. at Rossi came to realize that most of their sales were going to cowboy action shooters. Like the OP, I probably wouldn't have bought this gun if I realized that this slow-twist barrel would cause such problems with heavier bullets. However, I have found that accuracy is quite good with most 158 gr loads, and fantastic with any 140, 130 and 125 gr loads, whether in 38 or 357 cases. I'll just reserve those 180s for the revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I wissh I had read about the1:30 twist before, rather than after my purchase.
    It would have never had a place in my safe.

Finally got so-so accuracy at 50pushing 358156 and sighted with a tang sight.

I can NOT use that buckhorn sight that came on the rifle!
    We just don't get along!
    I changed the front and put a folding rear on mine and added a Marbles tang sight .
    The tang is sighted for the light loaded 130 rnfp and the folding rear for 158 jhp loaded to max.
    Works for me if I ever hunt with it would be for small game.

Lee 358-125 RNFP / win231 for plinking

140grXTP / H110 for more

LEE 125 ( blue ) with similar SNS RNFP

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    Lee 358-125 RNFP / win231 for plinking

140grXTP / H110 for more

LEE 125 ( blue ) with similar SNS RNFP

Nice looking rounds.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Bub
    I had another constraint to worry about with mine. Besides the slow rate of twist needing higher velocity to shoot accurately, when I shot standard pressure .357 magnum out of my Rossi 92, the cases would be a little bit over-expanded near the rim and just at the end of the reach of a resizing die. I guess the chamber wides up a little back there. I don't like mixing the brass I'm using with this gun up with my other guns. It's hardly there at 38 special pressure, but the gun won't shoot 158 grain bullets at 38 special pressure very accurately, not even 125 grain jacketed 38 special. I tried 125gr RNFP 38 special loads in it once, but they were too short to cycle. I finally got the idea to shoot 125gr TCFP bullets with Hi-Tek coatings in 38 special. With 7.5 grains of Shooters World Auto Pistol, I get these going about 1350 fps at .38 special pressure, and that seems to do the trick--fast enough to be accurate at the slow rate of twist, long enough to cycle, and low enough pressure that the brass doesn't over expand where the chamber is larger.

Boolit Bub
    What a great (learning) post this has been ! I've some good news... looks like problem is solved. I'm collating all loads/results
    now and in a few days i'll post, hopefully with a target.
    I'll call it "Rossi 357 Update".

Boolit Master

Oddly enough, I picked one up yesterday so this information is pretty timely. Any loads or opinions are appreciated. Keep it coming.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I think the only lever rifle with a twist rate as quick as magnum handguns is the Italian-made Chiappa. That SSAS twist is common.
    I own a Marlin 1894 44Mag that won't shoot a 300 gr Lee boolit accurately.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    It is tough to buy bullets from someone who hasn't added checks. I don't find coated replaced gas checks though it depends on what velocity you're shooting.
    As I understand it, a powder-coated boolit launched at less than 2000 fps does not require a gas check.
    I am not experienced enough with shooting PC boolits over 2000 fps to say if they are necessary. The powder maker I buy from recommends gas checks over 2200 fps.
    R/Griff

Banned

.357 Rossi

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I think the only lever rifle with a twist rate as quick as magnum handguns is the Italian-made Chiappa. That SSAS twist is common.
    I own a Marlin 1894 44Mag that won't shoot a 300 gr Lee boolit accurately.
    My Henry .41 magnum with 20” barrel has a 1 in 18.75” twist. Is that considered slow or fast for this caliber? I will be trying some 260-280 grain cast in it sometime, and attempting best accuracy between 1200-1600 fps.
    R/Griff

Banned

.357 Rossi

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Oddly enough, I picked one up yesterday so this information is pretty timely. Any loads or opinions are appreciated. Keep it coming.
    “Information purposes only”:
    180 grain FPJ Sierra #8370 over 12.0 grains of Accurate No. 9, C.O.L. 1.585”, is an accurate load from my Marlin 1894C.
    Lyman 50th:
    MAX LOAD: 180 grain JHP, 14.0 grains H110, 1109 fps, 39,000 C.U.P.
    MAX LOAD: 170 grain Linotype (358429), 15 grains H110, 1285 fps, 40,900 C.U.P.
    R/Griff
    Last edited by dangitgriff; 08-08-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks to all for comments. I see most of you, like me, have had much experimentation with this rifle to find something that works, so i don't feel too bad about my efforts. Thats suppossed to be the fun of reloading, right? Forget to mention that i was shooting only 158s at 50yds & I single load using the iron sights, and yes, at my age this might also give me some problems, but it got worse ONLY with this rifle, hence all the questions. I shoot fine w/open sights using the John C, carbine, dirty-30, 32-20, & 25-35.
    I was quite surprised by some of you with success in using the lightweight 125,130, 140s etc. Few yrs back in surfing this column I remember one fellow mentioned "lighter boolits DO NOT grp well in his Rossi (?). So from that time i simply avoided the lighter boolits. Same fellow rec 180s >1,700 so i assumed that meant GCs, which i wasn't considering at the time. Full Tang above doesn't rec 180s at all, but i will experiment with the lighter offerings. Ironically had some 180s at one point and got the beginning of a grping but didn't pursue it as i was intent on staying with the numerous options in 158s. In addition, some of you are using GCs; i'm open to that, as i would like to feel i'm not shooting a .22 all the time. I'd like to try 4227 & 4756 ; around 13.8/14.3 w/158RN in .357, still researching w/4756. Or 2400 @ 13.5 w/158RN using wsp and then some 180s 11.5-12.3 again w/wsp. Anyone try theses combos? Ringtinglen..."i have not had good luck with plain base boolits. Patterns, not groups were the result". hahahah , are we related ? "I really haven't found an accurate combination using .357 brass that will run below 1400 fps in my 1:30 twist Rossi"; I guess this statement best sums it up for me. Thanks again, I will continue to experiment, heeding your advices, and will get back with the results ....
    Used the last of my 4756 years ago. You got a secret stash or supplier somewhere? Was my goto for just about all my handguns.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    My Henry .41 magnum with 20” barrel has a 1 in 18.75” twist. Is that considered slow or fast for this caliber? I will be trying some 260-280 grain cast in it sometime, and attempting best accuracy between 1200-1600 fps.
    R/Griff
    Ruger Blackhawk is 1:20, so your Henry has a fairly fast-twist barrel and should be fine for heavier bullets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast