RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 ACP leading

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I went ahead and took the measurements now, and may have found the problem. Orienting the caliper at 11/5 and 1/7 o'clock, I get .451, while 9/3 o'clock mics at .452. That is at roughly the mid-point of the lube grooves. I was able to hold the calipers in the same exact position each time, by laying them on my workbench, with the bullet sitting upright. Now, if I held both in my hand, and measured the bullets' base, I got a tad over more than .452". But it is a very small area. Not enough, I am guessing. The pure lead measured WAY too small,Well, I went ahead and took the measurements now, and may have found the problem. Orienting the caliper at 11/5 and 1/7 o'clock, I get .451, while 9/3 o'clock mics at .452. That is at roughly the mid-point of the lube grooves. I was able to hold the calipers in the same exact position each time, by laying them on my workbench, with the bullet sitting upright. Now, if I held both in my hand, and measured the bullets' base, I got a tad over more than .452". But it is a very small area. Not enough, I am guessing. The pure lead measured WAY too small, clearly not filling the mould fully. I didn't melt very much of it, and I probably wasn't at the ideal temperature. I didn't melt very much of it, and I probably wasn't at the ideal temperature.
    Hmmm. I wonder why the OP says .451", .452", and poor fill out "not filling" and some read his mold is dropping small?

Actually this whole "discussion" is just a WAG, because only one person, a new caster, is reporting a problem and I, along with everyone else posting here, do not watch the casting process, the method of measurements, not tested the alloys used, don't have any bullets in hand, and do not watch the reloading process...
    Last edited by mdi; 07-18-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I've never encountered leading with .45 acp. As long as you are sizing your bullets, I wouldn't se size as a issue. I've never heard of .45 barrels varying significantly. Add a bit more antimony. If possible lose the tumble lube. Lubsisizers sell relatively cheap used.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Actually this whole "discussion" is just a WAG, because only one person, a new caster, is reporting a problem and I, along with everyone else posting here, do not watch the casting process, the method of measurements, not tested the alloys used, don't have any bullets in hand, and do not watch the reloading process...
    mdi on this I have to concur. All I've seen is insufficient and inconclusive information and a whole lot of jumbles stories and impressions.

I think the OP needs to start over from the beginning and work this thorough one step, one change at a time. Thousands of shooters shoot this bullet and shoot it with this same lube and most likely loading it the exact same way every day. Why are they not experiencing this exact same problem? Because this tell me that the problem is solely inherent on either the bullet fit, the gun barrel or the alloy being used.

At this time no one knows what the exact composition of this alloy is or even how hard or soft it is. Just speculations. I have used the 45/45/10 tumble lube on 4 different .452 45acp bullets from both Lee and Lyman molds and have sized them with a Lee .452" pass thru die and have not experienced any leading while using alloy of straight Clip on WW, 50/50 COWW and SOWW and two different batches of straight range scrap of unknown makeup and pencil tested hardness of around 9. Again not a single instance of barrel fouling and those are with low velocity start loads up to above mid-range using AA#5.

I firmly believe he has been directed as to what to look for and check and now just needs a complete reset. Start over.

Boolit Buddy
    In my experience the .45 ACP is just not that finicky to load for to not have leading. My bullets have been H&G 68s or 452460s cast of alloy from range scrap to COWW, plus a lot of swayed Zero SWCs back in the day. Lubes have varied from NRA 50/50 to LBT Blue to Darr lube (paraffin, vaseline plus a little STP). Sizing diameters have been .4515" and .452". Leading just has not been an issue.
    This has all been through older Colt barrels which I consider adequate or better but not match grade.
    I know lots of guys are into powder coating and if you like it, have at it, but it simply should not be necessary in .45 ACP to avoid leading the barrel.

I have done my best to post exactly what I am doing, and the results I am getting. Never once did I suggest that my method or alloy could not be at fault. Then again, it is entirely possible, and nowhere near unheard of, for a Lee mould to be ever-so-slightly out of spec At this point, I am going through the process of trying several of the suggested fixes, and will need to do more testing before I can draw any conclusions. A wealth of information has been presented, and I am grateful for it all.

HD, "All I've seen is insufficient and inconclusive information and a whole lot of jumbles stories and impressions." quoted by me which may have lead to a misunderstanding, which was not directed towards you. Though I too went back and re-read your original post and again think I have a clear understanding of your problem.

At this point I still believe the problem lies with the bullet fit in the barrel. I have used a good deal of differing range scrap alloys and have pushed them pretty fast w/o incidence. So I really doubt that the alloy is the culprit. I also exclusively use 45/45/10 tumble lube and also have not seen an issue. That leaves the bullet itself. Again bullet size and fit into that barrel. Yes it also could be that the Lee Tumble Lube bullet design you are using is not a good match for your gun. The only sure way to tell is to try a different design and then a larger diameter all using the same alloy and lube.

Keep at it and the answer will come. Keep us up to date. If you like I can send you some Lyman 225gr RN sized to .452" to try.

Update:
    The addition of linotype to my alloy (1lb to 10 lbs of range scrap). Resulted in slightly larger dimensions, and a harder projectile. Leading was significantly reduced, and confined to the first inch or so of my barrel. I did powder-coat a few as well, and while I need more practice, it did also do the job. Either powder coating, or a different bullet (along with a lubrisizer) might be what I wind up settling on.

Boolit Grand Master

leading for a short section, then clean is a textbook example of an undersized bullet. Just because some of the bullet measures .452" doesn't mean the entire thing does. Powdercoating increases diameter, which sounds like it did the trick for you. Tumble lube will work just fine for you if you get the bullet bigger. It is very easy to beagle a mold, which is nothing more than putting a few strips of thin aluminum tape on the mold faces to spread them slightly. This usually gains you .001" to .002".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123