Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 110g jword hollow point in .357mag...H110

That does not sound good...

I’ve been loading 158g cast over 6.5g Unique. It’s a “pleasant” round. I intend to shoot the hotter H110 loading only sparingly. Here’s what happened:

I loaded the 110g XTP over 13.5g of H110. FIREBALL! Very snappy! I loved it. Just what I was looking for...until the 12th round squibbed. The bullet stuck about 1/2” from the muzzle of my 6” 586. I am positive that I did not short charge the round. I’m too careful. I only loaded 25 rounds.

I switched to my 4” 686 for 12 more rounds. No issue.

So, I guess this proves the light charge under light projectile squib possibility some of us have read about.

I know this info makes me appear to be somewhat of an idiot, but I thought I’d share it for the benefit of the group.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    "I don't understand the consequences of under loading 110/296 "

has to do with pressure doubling inside the case ...and you get a catastrophic explosion...gun goes bye bye and maybe you as well.

Just to be sure this was a light charge/light projectile issue with H110, I tried it again this morning. Result is below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2578.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	264953

Again, squib round stuck in the barrel. Information confirmed.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    Just to be sure this was a light charge/light projectile issue with H110, I tried it again this morning. Result is below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2578.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	264953

Again, squib round stuck in the barrel. Information confirmed.
    Thanks for running the experiment and showing the results .
    Somebody not paying attention could certainly make something bad happen with the next shot.

Boolit Master

In my younger days I loaded 110 grain jacketed hollow points with wc820 , was a hot and snappy combo , still have several hundred loaded in boxes , still have a bag of the jacketed bullets on shelf , prefer a heavier weight bullet today . There was load info out there for h110 and for the wc820 you had to work up from a reduced load .

Boolit Buddy
    Winchester does not list W296(which is the same thing as H110) for the 110 gr bullet in the .357 Mag. They list W231. The lowest bullet weight they list using W296 is 125 gr.
    Hodgdons' Reloading Data center does list W296/H110 for th2 110 gr bullet and it lists a starting charge of 22.0 gr and a MAX charge of 23.0 gr.
    Both Hodgdon and Winchester post a warning to not reduce charges by more than 3%.

H110 / win296 need a magnum primer, FRIM roll crimp, and work best at a MAX LOAD.

try 22-23grs, and nothing lighter than that.

if you want a milder load, try win231/HP38 or something.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Echoing an earlier post, I'd avoid anything near a max load with that light bullet because of forcing cone issues. If your revolver has a flat at the bottom of the rear end of the barrel, avoid light bullets. I have my late father-in- laws S&W M19. He cracked the barrel on both sides of that flat on the barrel. S&W replaced the barrel, but the accompanying letter warned against shooting light HP bullets in his gun. The newer L frame guns and larger N frames don't have that weakness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12