MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Warren Outdoors "One Hole sight"?

Boolit Master

Warren Outdoors "One Hole sight"?

Has anyone used these & have opinion on how well they work? Due to an eye injury and subsequent infection I have some difficulty with iron sights now, don't want to put scope or red dot on some of my revolvers. Thought I'd ask here, sure someone has tried this sight out & could offer some input.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master

I had a one did not work for me this helped https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...s%2C312&sr=8-2
    next will be a red dot
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

For an aperture sight to work well, it needs to be relatively close to the eye. The best are tang mounted sights (or on a bow string), but receiver mounted sights are very good. They are not so good when they simply replace a rear sight that is often down the barrel 4" or more.

What I'm trying to say, is the farther they are, the less effective they become. A handgun would not be a good application for an aperture sight. While a crisp sight picture is required for precision shooting, a lot of guys like fiber optic sights. I can't shoot them as accurately, but they sure are easy to see.

Boolit Master
    These look a lot like the "One Ragged Hole" sight. I have one on a Winchester 9422 and a Marbles Bullseye on a Winchester 67A. Both work very well in that application.

OK you are talking about revolvers. For them I use a home made diopter. It is a piece of sheet metal .004 - .010 thick about 3/8" wide with a 5/64" hole drilled in it about 1/4" up from the end. Just tape it to your glasses where it works for you. I have mine taped to my safety glasses. It just works like a small aperture on a camera and increases the depth of field so that both the target and sights are fairly sharp. Using the diopter on the safety glasses has another benefit in that it keeps my head in the same position from shot to shot and range session to range session. Try it, you might come to like it.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Did not work for me.

After cataract surgery and IOL implants in both eyes (done 1 year apart) I could see iron sights again like a 20-year-old.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    A neighbor installed the original, the “One ragged hole” appetite of the larger size and gave me the left over smaller unit.

I promptly installed it on my 9 1/2” SRH in 44 Mag. I then tried the Ruger Gold bead painted black with a laundry pen.

WOW what a combination!

A friend and fellow member had a SRH in 480 he did not like and we swapped so my appeture sight got away from me. “One Ragged Hole” went away about then as well!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

I still use them on RBH 4 5/8 357 and Ruger single six. They were called One Ragged Hole when I bought them, came 2 to a pack small and large, can't remember the actual size, but small one is on the 22 and large one on 357, I like them a lot, think I will try the smaller on 357.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Did not work for me.

After cataract surgery and IOL implants in both eyes (done 1 year apart) I could see iron sights again like a 20-year-old.
    Which focal type IOL did you get?

Boolit Master
    I forget what the trade name was, but I have one on my 4" 625 .45 ACP Mountain Gun and I love it. I wear lineless tri-focals and trying to work with a normal rear sight gives me fits. I wish they still made them for S&W. GF

I tried one on a Super Blackhawk without success.

Banned
    If my memory is not going Joe Biden on me I believe Ruger offered a aperture sight blade some time before the turn of the century. I remember having one on a Redhawk with a gold bead front. It was a nice combination then.