RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillion 550: leaving powder in the powder measure?

Boolit Mold

Dillion 550: leaving powder in the powder measure?

I recently started using a Dillon 550C and was wonder what you, that are experienced with a 550, do with the powder in the powder measure when you finish a reloading session? Do you empty the powder measure after each session or do you leave the powder in, put an id tag on it and leave it until the next session?

Jim

Boolit Bub
    I recently purchased a used 550 and had the same question. No easy way to drain the powder measure.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I empty it, remove from press and pour into bottle it came from using a funnel, also I move charge bar in and out to remove any powder from in there. not worth risk of forgetting and wrong powder charge in something else later.

Boolit Master
    Can't you take off the rod that goes to the PM pull the pins and slide out the tool head to empty the measure.
    Looks to be pretty quick .
    Last edited by onelight; 07-14-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    ^^^^^^^^^ this!!!! Pull the pins, and rod, then empty powder measure back into the powder jug, done!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Bub
    i leave it in, i use the same powder most of the time. i would still label it just to make sure you don't forget what it is.

You can leave the powder in the measure. It'll turn the plastic yellow, but doesn't hurt anything that I can see. Once I get everything dialed in, why mess with it?

Boolit Master

I always return to original bottle

did get a quick release so just pull the pin on the return wire, pull out the quick release and pour. Less than 30 seconds.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy

Empty it promptly to original container, primarily to minimize chance of putting in wrong container. As has been stated, it only takes a few seconds to completely drain measure.

Yep, the two pins and failsafe rod are a pretty quick way to empty it.

I have some that always have powder in them though. Most powders will alter the color of the plastic tube turning it yellow or brown. Vitavouri powders being a notable exception, they remain clear.

Boolit Master

The quick release for the Dillon powder measures is one of those things I have to have. No need to pull the tool head.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you to everyone for the quick responses. Very helpful.

Jim

Boolit Master

Titegroup will turn the hopper yellow overnight and deform it in another 2-3 days.

I have never left powder in a powder measure unless I've just going in for a coffee refill or exfill.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I always empty my hopper even if I'm reloading the next day. In the 550 it only takes a minute or so and is recommended by Dillion and also the powder manufacturers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Empty after every session. It takes a couple of minutes and a good habit to get into.

Also, only have one powder on the bench at a time....I nearly made a very serious mistake once.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I always empty the power measure in the original container. Then I write on a index card what power, charge weight and bullet style that was just loaded, this way it is easy to know where to start from the next time it gets used.

Boolit Master
    I almost never empty my 550 powder unless changing to a different powder, also only keep on powder on my bench so I know which powder is being used. I never have had a powder measure turn yellow, I am currently using 700-x and Sport Pistol.

I also never mty my 550 hopper as it’s dedicated to .45/.45auto rim. But the quick release powder measure units are great and I have them on my measures that I use for my Lyman turret presses. Change dies--swap measures, no time wasted recalibrating the measure.

Boolit Master
    my mentor taught me to always put all powder and primers back in original container before getting up from the bench. you never know what can happen after you walk out of reloading room. for example what if this happens.
    gramma called, gramps needs your help, your gone for weeks, return to reloading bench, you know what's what, everything is where it belongs and components in original packages.
    if you have some h110 mixed up with some blc2, when you pull the trigger it probably aint gonna be pretty.

Boolit Grand Master

Empty the measure , pour the powder back into the original container . Only keep one powder out on the bench when in use . It's amazing how easy it is to forget what's in the measure .
    You forget or worse yet you remember incorrectly what's in that measure ... you get to spend time with a bullet puller taking apart loaded rounds ... trust me ...it happens .

One powder on the bench , empty measure back into container , don't leave powder in measure it reacts with any and all plastics .

Better Safe then Sorry ...don't get lackadaisical about powder...it will come back to haunt you !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast