RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Accurate 31-110JZ in M1 Carbine?

Accurate 31-110JZ in M1 Carbine?

Greetings.

Has anyone tried Accurate Mold's #31-110JZ bullet in an M1 Carbine? Any feeding issues?

TIA

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Nobody?

What about Accurate in general? Anyone using one of his other molds to cast 30 Carbine bullets?

I like the idea of the flat point but not at the expense of feeding reliability. The rifle in question works okay with round nose (of course) and seems to be reliable with Speer's 110gr Varminter hollowpoint. I have tried some 32-20 FN bullets but their .2" meplat does not feed 100%. And the ones that do feed and chamber are deformed on one side from bouncing up the feed ramp.

Accurate has some FN bullets with a .18" flat that may be closer in shape to the Speer bullet mentioned above. I'm hoping the fractionally smaller area will be just enough to get reliable feeding.

Boolit Grand Master

Assuming you are PCing that bullet?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Assuming you are PCing that bullet?
    The idea is to coat the bullet, yes. I think coating vs gas check should work particularly well in the M1. Should keep lead concerns to a minimum even at full 30 Carbine velocity and may actually help with feeding.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    The idea is to coat the bullet, yes. I think coating vs gas check should work particularly well in the M1. Should keep lead concerns to a minimum even at full 30 Carbine velocity and may actually help with feeding.

Probably why nobody has responded.....probably not many, if any, use that bullet in the 30 Carbine. Be interesting to see your results?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Probably why nobody has responded.....probably not many, if any, use that bullet in the 30 Carbine. Be interesting to see your results?
    I was hoping to find someone who is using 31-110JZ. I'm really not wanting to get a mold only to find that the bullet won't feed.

Maybe my best course of action is to locate a four cavity Lyman 311359 and just stick with tried and true....

Boolit Buddy
    I was just posting over in the molds and mold design section about the MP 314-640 PB designs that are very good in 30 carbine, if you are trying to duplicate that Speer Varminter bullet.when it is powder coated, and either the 100 grain or the 115 grain configuration, it works extremely well in my 30 carbine and a couple of other folks have posted this as well. It is designed for a 32, and is very popular for the 327, but works very well in 30 carbine revolvers as well. I powder coat mine with no gas check.
    When I checked the website this weekend, they were listed as being on sale,and in stock from MP, who is a vendor here, as well as having a 20% discount. I don't know if the hollow point enhances accuracy, but it certainly does enhance performance if bullet expansion matters. Since the molds are on sale, and the Varminter bullet is 15 cents each and out of stock everywhere, 20 lb of cheap alloy would yield enough bullets to pay for the mold. MP molds usually sells very well on this website if for one reason or another you did not want the mold any longer. Since they are made of brass, with any reasonable care, they would just be getting broken in when you finished a 20 pound run. Sorry for the run-on, I'm just kind of enthusiastic about the mold.

Boolit Master
    I don't load 30 Carbine, but that boolit looks just like the 30-110JG, without lube-groove and gas check. The 110JG indicates it is a 30 Carbine design boolit.

I do have other designs with the minimal flat point, and feeding has never been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    I don't load 30 Carbine, but...I do have other designs with the minimal flat point, and feeding has never been a problem.
    What are you running FP bullets in that may be a comparison to an M1?