Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fancy new mold...

Fancy new mold...

I recently acquired a 350 legend upper...
    I inspected it when I got it and then ordered a mold that *should* work (according to my calculations) from Accurate...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	350_legend_180_grn_mold.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	264806
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Whats the mold?

Im enjoying my 350L. Getting ready to order a barrel and build a upper.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Whats the mold?

Im enjoying my 350L. Getting ready to order a barrel and build a upper.

CW
    It is the Accurate 36-180LG. I had the lube grove removed since I powder coat all my boolits.

Bear Creek Arsenal had a good sale on complete uppers ($269.99, $293.10 total) a couple weeks back, but the prices are back up...
    https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upp...rm=442&stock=1
    WWG1WGA

Banned

Let me know how that shoots. I came up with that bullet going off of the prints that were out back last year. I never did order one as I wanted a HP mold. I ended up with a mp360-200 hp RCBS clone.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Let me know how that shoots. I came up with that bullet going off of the prints that were out back last year. I never did order one as I wanted a HP mold. I ended up with a mp360-200 hp RCBS clone.
    Will do - it'll be about a month or so. I haven't cast any yet. Now that it's here I do have the itch to cast a pile of boolits with it, but I think it's gonna be a few days before I get around tuit.

I do have another design that is an Accurate 35-125YG. I shoot these in 357 sig, but it should work in the 350 legend as well. I have a bunch of those just ready to load.

I was looking at load data for that 125 grainer and it looks like you can push 2500 fps. With the 1:16 twist, 2500fps is 112500 rpm -- well within hard lead limits... And the 180 grainer (probably more like 190 or so cast) should be going in the 2000-2200 fps range.

I am excited to play with these.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

I have been liking the 190 ranch Dog bullet!! I have a copy without the TL grooves and it dosent shoot as well. Its also got a slightly thicker nose. My MAXI LOVES IT, the legend dont. Go figure!

My plinker is a Saeco 396 its a 180 tc looks allot like the RCBS Silhouette bullet.

CW

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of things look real good on paper ... and in theory " should work " ...
    But you know what they say about Theory.... " CHOOT EM !"
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

I shot this with mine yesterday. It has a BCA barrel. On Target software says it is the following.
    The max spread (CTC) is 1.077" MOA is 1.029"
    Group height is 1.058"
    Group width is 0.737"

Attachment 264894

Boolit Master

Looks good TB!!

I finally found my extra brass last night!!! I have been searchin for over a month!!! Now I can start some More ladders! Pretty much decided on a AR bbl in 350 next. I just need to find the right profile. I think I want 18" but want light (er) contour.

CW

Looks good TB!!

I finally found my extra brass last night!!! I have been searchin for over a month!!! Now I can start some More ladders! Pretty much decided on a AR bbl in 350 next. I just need to find the right profile. I think I want 18" but want light (er) contour.

CW
    This is 16" with a 15" hand guard. 45 irons/2x8 scope. Here in Komiefornia, you can't have a flash hider, but a muzzle brake is fine - so muzzle brake it is.

Name:	350_upper.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	264960
    WWG1WGA

Cast up a pile of these guys. Looking forward to shooting them in a couple weeks:

Name:	Accurate_36-180LG.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	265019
    WWG1WGA

Here's the OP's mould, and suggested loading parameters:

Note that the critical length keys off the chamber freebore and bullet's forward band, not the nose,

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Here's the OP's mould, and suggested loading parameters:

Note that the critical length keys off the chamber freebore and bullet's forward band, not the nose,
    Yep - I'm in the process of PC'ing my first batch of these. I got the mold without a lube grove, so they will be a bit heavier.

I've got some fired brass, so I can just seat a boolit way too far out and chamber it. Then back out about 0.01" or so... Hopefully it is similar seating to what you have done.

I am very excited about this caliber. I cannot wait to see what a bore-riding 180 grainer will do.
    WWG1WGA

Got around to loading these guys...
    They are powder coated, gas check'd and tossed in BLL. The boolits were air dropped but water dropped out of the oven after PCing. They're about 15-16 BHN. Pretty hard.

I decided to start out my testing with the hodgdon reloading W296 suggestion, but I believe their bullet is seated a bit further in the case since their max listed load still has a little room in my case - I might do some testing with maybe +1 more grain or maybe 1.5 or so just to fill up the case.

I did identical loads of W296 and AA 11FS - the powders are nearly identical with the exception of AA 11FS is a little darker and EVER so slightly bulkier.

Note the COL is right around 2.20" and measuring 1.80" from the base to the start of the forward band was right on in my upper. I tried a little further out initially, but some of the fatter boolits got bound up a little.

Most of these guys weighed in around 181 grain with some up to 184.

Here is one of the max load AA 11FS:

Name:	A_36-180LG.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	265458

And my initial test box:

Name:	A_36-180LG_Test_Loads.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	265459

Will report back. I'm really curious to see how close W296 and AA 11FS are. Should shoot 'em on Monday.
    Last edited by 44Blam; 07-29-2020 at 11:34 PM.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Looking forward to it 44!!

I hit the range last might with some loads myself. I was excited to try some
    Subs.
    I had one loading with two bullets. Herco was the powder. Winchester SR prime and a 270 & 235 Cast bullet. QL suggested 7g for a 1100 fps vel. It was nearly spot on with a 1060/27g & 1090/235g.

Accuracy was 1.5" @ 50 using top Of bottom duplex post as aiming point.

The 270 showed just a bit of tail yaw. I kinda expected this. But the 235 was perfect round holes a d just a tad larger group. If I give these 270's a bit of a kick in the **** they should stabulize. As I am NOT shooting theu supressor Im not at all limited to this velocity. Super happy with this!! That 270 is delivering 1K FPE on target at the 1100 fps. Super light recoil too.

CW

Boolit Master

Its a Accurate mold. They will shoot great. I had a iron Accurate mold out today trading off between a Lyman. The Accurate casts SO much better. Sprues just slide off and the bullets drop with ease.

Boolit Master

I was testing more subs today.

Those 7g loads had a bit of a yaw. So I tried 7.5 & 8. Out at 100, the 8g with still under sonic at 1090 and shot real well! Tightened up to under 1" @ 50. Out @ 100 I didnt have a solid aim point so my groups where just 4+ but that yaw was just noticeable. Im pretty happy. Im gonna go .5 more and see what 8.5g does. Should hold under super.

I am real happy with this powder. I loaded up a the 230's with more Herco and these where doing 1475 fps and also shot very well.

Ill be loading alot more of these!!!

CW

I was testing more subs today.

Those 7g loads had a bit of a yaw. So I tried 7.5 & 8. Out at 100, the 8g with still under sonic at 1090 and shot real well! Tightened up to under 1" @ 50. Out @ 100 I didnt have a solid aim point so my groups where just 4+ but that yaw was just noticeable. Im pretty happy. Im gonna go .5 more and see what 8.5g does. Should hold under super.

I am real happy with this powder. I loaded up a the 230's with more Herco and these where doing 1475 fps and also shot very well.

Ill be loading alot more of these!!!

CW
    CW - funny enough I bought a shotshell loader the other day and got a nice keg of Herco -- since it seemed like a good powder (that was available) for shotshells... Maybe I'll see what these 180s do under it... Tomorrow I get to test those W296/AA11FS rounds, and some shot shells AND a pet project 'trail boss' load in 10 mm...

It's gonna be a fun day, I think!
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Good luck!!

Im really impressed with Herco!! I havent used it in near 30 years!! My cardboard tube container says 10.99$.

CW

Boolit Master
    What is the baseline shell? ie what is this ctg made from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast