WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: .223 Remington and 70gr bullets

.223 Remington and 70gr bullets

Hi Everyone. I am new to casting for centerfire rifles. I am looking for help determining load data for the .223 Remington using 70 gr bullets. I have the NEI 72gr GC-DD mold and the NOE 65gr FN-GC mold. The rifle is a Savage model 12 with a 1:9 twist. I haven't found any listings anywhere that indicate what powders or charges to use. I plan on using powder coating and either straight linotype or a slightly diluted version. Feel free to correct any of the above details. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Of all the things I have ever lost, I really miss my mind the most

Boolit Master

I don't run cast in my savage 223. But i do load at cast levels for play rounds. I like red dot. 7 grains and if i want to crank it some 9 grains. I loaded some with green dot too. Still need to test those. But i shoot 55 grain FMJ. The lyman cast book as the data. I use #3. There is an online version.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Win,

I would send them at jacket speeds after PC and sizing. I am waiting on 2 molds for heavy .223 boolits to see what H335 and WC844 will get them up to!

Boolit Master
    You will be able to use a variety of powders to go from mild to wild, as desired. Pistol powders such as red dot and bullseye can be used for mild loads, with charges anywhere from 3 to 7 grains or so (no filler). Fast rifle powders such as RL 7 and 2400 can get you into the 2000s, and medium burners such as 4895 or 4064 can get you up to max. Adjust alloy hardness accordingly. The Lyman manual is your friend, The Lee will also have some data and you can extrapolate using jacketed data (well under starting loads are usually ideal for cast). Be safe, have fun
    -JP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I had heard rumors that using PC would let you approach jacketed speeds, though I think I will keep it down to the lower end of the scale . Let me know how the H335 and WC844 workout as I have a large supply of both on hand.
    Of all the things I have ever lost, I really miss my mind the most

Boolit Master
    With the 1:9 twist you might find better accuracy at slightly lower speeds. As the spin rate goes up the slight flaws/voids in the bullet affect the flight path. I'd start around 2000fps and go up until accuracy gets worse.