Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest an air rifle?

CZ T200, my boy uses it to compete at Perry and to hunt on my Brothers property.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblacksmith View Post
    CZ T200, my boy uses it to compete at Perry and to hunt on my Brothers property.
    My first pcp was a T200. VERY accurate right out of the box. But as things go I couldn’t not tweek it. Mine was the 7(?)joule unadjustable version. I drilled out the transfer port and put in a stronger striker spring. Got it up to 17 fpe. Made it loud. Had to silence it. So it goes.

Then it sat for 3 years while I played with other stuff until I got the urge to install a regulator in it.
    I turned the power down to 13 fpe. It’s still very accurate and now with the reg installed I don’t have the velocity bell curve. Plenty of shots and the little air tube on it is super easy to fill.
    All of my squirrels this year have fallen to it in spite of having much more powerful pcps.
    I’m a big fan of the T200!

Boolit Buddy
    This one is something to consider:

https://hatsanairgunsusa.com/product/blitz/

Hmm. If you're looking for a good deal, try the McMillan M40A3 Sportline Bolt Action Sniper Rifle. You'll get it for C$150. It's a great option. It's a bolt-action rifle and has an adjustable cheek rest, top rail for mounting scopes, and textured grip areas. A bolt-action spring firing system, matte black polymer frame, and a full-metal barrel/bolt.
    You can get this Airsoft Rifle here.

Boolit Master
    I believe the op wanted something he could also hunt with, not an airsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverhome View Post
    My first pcp was a T200. VERY accurate right out of the box. But as things go I couldn’t not tweek it. Mine was the 7(?)joule unadjustable version. I drilled out the transfer port and put in a stronger striker spring. Got it up to 17 fpe. Made it loud. Had to silence it. So it goes.

Then it sat for 3 years while I played with other stuff until I got the urge to install a regulator in it.
    I turned the power down to 13 fpe. It’s still very accurate and now with the reg installed I don’t have the velocity bell curve. Plenty of shots and the little air tube on it is super easy to fill.
    All of my squirrels this year have fallen to it in spite of having much more powerful pcps.
    I’m a big fan of the T200!

CZ = Good Medicine

My Brother is a huge air gunner and he uses it more than anything.

Boolit Bub
    RWS 34 or possibly a used HW50/HW95. RWS/Diana are not as nice as the HW and more of a pain to work on but will last you a life time and more. Have experiences with each and each have pros and cons per dollar involved.

PCP's are nice but a springer and a tin of pellets is hard to beat...

Banned
    Another vote for the RWS Diana 34.

Boolit Master
    "Suggest an air rifle? "

I asked the same question a few months back and the response here got me to double the budget and I bought a RWS 48 with scope. $500 with shipping and pellets. Crosman Premier Domed 14.3g pellets work well. I am very happy. It shoots well, the fit and finish is excellent. It's side cocking with a fixed barrel, rated 900 fps and 3/4 inch plywood is not enough to stop the pellets.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

You don't need to spend $1000 or even $500 for an air rifle to meet your needs.
    You can get a fine rifle for under $300.
    If you decide to spend more fine, but there is really no need.

Weihrauch HW35 or 30 or 50 or 80 or 95. Operative word here is Weihrauch. I have 4 gun from this outfit. MY first was an HW35EB. I bought it in 1978. My second was an HW77 Under Lever. 1991, Third was a HW 80 or Beeman R1 and it is a 10 lb Beast. Last was another HW35E which was made in 1978 but sat in someones closet for along time and got House Paint on it . I cleaned it up and it was essentially new.

All of these guns are now $400-$600+ guns and they are the equal to or above any similarly priced firearm out there. They will also out live me and probably my nephew who doesn't even know he's getting them. With only a minimal amount of care like cleaning and oiling, they will literally last lifetimes.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-03-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Vendor Sponsor

The Marauder in .25 caliber is a LOT to like! I could also suggest a Marauder pistol (also comes with a neat shoulder stock) in .22 caliber, both equally high on the user satisfaction chart. If your Marauder pistol doesn't shoot into a dime at 20yds, send it back to them and they will make it where it does. If it leaks, they will fix it no problem. They will even send you a can or two of the pellets they use to test it with.

Then you can drill out the t-port and give the marauder pistol some very deadly squirrel medicine, you can put a Cauthorn valve and a custom port in the 25 and it becomes a 'yote's worst nightmare.

If you live near anyone, you would definitely want accuracy, even with the powerful 22 marauder, it is still necessary to hit squirrels in the head, certainly don't want a wounded squirrel crawling into a neighbor's yard and expiring there for all to see. Trump signed the animal cruelty bill making it a felony, and all you need is a tree hugging neighbor to find a dead squirrel in their yard.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-03-2020 at 05:35 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I am starting to think about an air rifle and would love some direction. Ideally this would be target and maybe small game hunting. Quieter is better.

I like the idea of a PCP and it looks like you can get them for less money than a marauder, but the additional costs and hassles (pumps?) look formidable. Is there an alternative for not a ton of money? Accuracy, squirrel killing power at 20 yards, reasonable cost (max $250) and a halfway decent trigger are kind of the goal. I like the integral suppressors on the PCPs, are there air piston or other systems that have the same?
    The reconditioned daisy 853s offered by the cmp are good target fun. Triggers can be worked a bit.
    @ $250 theres some ok options. If your looking for the option of take down power go with 22 cal. PCP are nice but now your talking either a hand pump or a remote tank and a means to fill it.
    If your going the route of pcp the 2000psi fill are alot easier to top off with the hand pump.
    Theres some decent entry level pcp guns out there.
    Hard part is finding something in stock

Banned

rat patrol with an ancient benjamin #397 in .177 pellet size and a cheap crickett 4x32 scope. 4 pumps isn't too strenuous and is more than enuf to dispatch rats DOA and the muzzle report is super duper quiet. going more pumps gets old and tiring fast. if i needed to replace the benji i'd probably spring for a PCP like a benji marauder and put on some good glass. but the ol' 397 keeps pumping along and whacking the rats

8 yard eyeball to brain scramble kill ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00937.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	265908

Name:	DSC00936.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	265909

Boolit Master
    There is more to ownership than the cost and speed.
    The Air Arms TX200 is the easiest rifle to full rebuild. The Air Arms Pro Sport would also fall into the same category. While they are expensive they are wicked accurate. The best triggers made in the world of spring guns. While the 22 cal here in the USA is only putting out a 14 gr pellet at 665 FPS they are so accurate that head shots are the only thing I do. Actually between the eye and ear on chucks. I don't need pumps, or tanks. Its not unruly like most spring guns and tare up scopes. These rifles are the kind of guns you shoot all your life then give to the kids. They they pass them down to theirs. The parts are not made of plastic and crap. My longest confirmed kill is 130 yards.
    Most of my shooting is between 20 yards and 70 yards. Most of the farmers I shoot for only allow me to come to their farms strictly because of my rifle. They don't want the noise, or the skipping bullets.

Boolit Master
    Yes, the tx200 and prosport as well as the HW97, 77. 95,80 are the best out there, but may be well over the ops budget.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    rat patrol with an ancient benjamin #397 in .177 pellet size and a cheap crickett 4x32 scope. 4 pumps isn't too strenuous and is more than enuf to dispatch rats DOA and the muzzle report is super duper quiet. going more pumps gets old and tiring fast. if i needed to replace the benji i'd probably spring for a PCP like a benji marauder and put on some good glass. but the ol' 397 keeps pumping along and whacking the rats

8 yard eyeball to brain scramble kill ...

Name:	DSC00937.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	265908

Name:	DSC00936.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	265909
    Or a Silver Streak, .20 caliber with more whack than the .177. Available on the used market. Later models were drilled and tapped for a Williams peep sight designed specifically for it. Helps dramatically with sighting.

They shoot extremely well, although the H&N target pellets are no longer available.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Yes, the tx200 and prosport as well as the HW97, 77. 95,80 are the best out there, but may be well over the ops budget.
    But buying a quality gun you only cry once

Banned

that tx200 looks Nice. i think i'll get one.

idahoron, you running with .22 or .177?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    that tx200 looks Nice. i think i'll get one.

idahoron, you running with .22 or .177?
    I am using a 22 cal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast