Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest an air rifle?

Suggest an air rifle?

I am starting to think about an air rifle and would love some direction. Ideally this would be target and maybe small game hunting. Quieter is better.

I like the idea of a PCP and it looks like you can get them for less money than a marauder, but the additional costs and hassles (pumps?) look formidable. Is there an alternative for not a ton of money? Accuracy, squirrel killing power at 20 yards, reasonable cost (max $250) and a halfway decent trigger are kind of the goal. I like the integral suppressors on the PCPs, are there air piston or other systems that have the same?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Midway had Hatsans on sale a while back. Don't know if they are still on sale.
    I got a .25 cal break barrel with gas piston, has integral suppressor.
    I killed a squirrel last week with it.
    A fellow at work has one just like it and he has killed a number of ground hogs with it.
    Deadly accurate and you don't have to mess with pumps or a compressor.
    What I really like, it has a beautiful walnut stock.
    It is a real bear to cock though.

While I love air rifles I have avoided going to the dark side. (PCP's)

Me I would look at something like the Hatsan 95 or 125 in vortex with QE (suppressor)
    I have 3 hatsan's, 2 rifles and a pistol and all are good. Love that turkish walnut.

Of course my all time favorite is and will remain my Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm.
    Its a pump up, 2 to 8 pumps. I have rarely gone over 4, and the vast majority of my shooting with it is 2-3 pumps.

I will go to 4 for a cottontail or squirrel at 40 yards or more. And like any rifle, bullet placement is the key.
    Headshots work.

Benjamin still makes basicly the same rifle in .22 for a pretty reasonable price.

My Hatsan is a 135 QE Vortex.
    I think I paid something around $235 when on sale at Midway.
    The rifle is beautiful but is a beast, weighs about 10 pounds.

Boolit Master

Here's something to think about. https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=175743.0

My take on the air gun world: You can have whole closet full of inexpensive air guns.
    They can leak.
    Have poor triggers.
    Difficult to shoot either because they launch pellets faster than they were designed to go. Or recoil.
    Barrels are often attached to the receiver with grub screws.

Or you can spend the same money 20 inexpensive air guns cost on one good shooter.
    Holds a zero.
    Holds pressure.
    Excellent trigger.
    Durable.
    Does not sit in the closet unused.

Yep I have a boat load of cheap air guns, and a couple that I shoot.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 07-14-2020 at 12:18 AM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

So, are you saying this rifle is a good option, or a good candidate for the closet???

Quote Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
    Here's something to think about. https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA...topic=175743.0

My take on the air gun world: You can have whole closet full of inexpensive air guns.
    They can leak.
    Have poor triggers.
    Difficult to shoot either because they launch pellets faster than they were designed to go. Or recoil.
    Barrels are often attached to the receiver with grub screws.

Or you can spend the same money 20 inexpensive air guns cost on one good shooter.
    Holds a zero.
    Holds pressure.
    Excellent trigger.
    Durable.
    Does not sit in the closet unused.

Yep I have a boat load of cheap air guns, and a couple that I shoot.

My own preference is a Diana 52 side lever 1100fps with 8gn pellets.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Buddy
    Suppressors on spring pistons or gas rams do virtually nothing. There just isn’t much air to dampen the sound of. Most of their sound is from the moving parts.
    In my opinion, any pcp over about 7 fpe needs a suppressor or they get really annoying. I don’t have any big bore pcps but my more powerful 25 cals are alarmingly loud without their suppressors.

Quality air pump for a pcp is going to cost 150-200 bucks. Almost your budget. A quality pcp is going to cost well over your budget. Yes they can be gotten cheaper but in a lot of ways you get what you pay for. And I’m not kidding, some sort of suppressor is a MUST with any pcp power level much over .177 target level unless you want to wear heating pro.
    Pcps aren’t all that formidable really. Pump, gun, hose and whatever fitting is required to match the pump to the gun. Sometimes you need different fittings for different guns. You can get into pcps for probably under 400 bucks for the low end stuff.

With your goal of 20 yards or so, a nice springer or gas ram is probably a better bet. Bad *** Wallace’s Diana up there ^ is a quality option with a reputedly good trigger and the fixed barrel that should be more accurate than a break barrel though I’d personally use a heavier pellet. 10 grain would keep you below the speed of sound in the winter. That crack is significant.
    Sometimes with a springer more power isn’t necessarily a good thing. I have a Benji XL that is similar to the big boy Hatsans mentioned. I can’t keep it subsonic unless I use at least a 13 grain .177 pellet. So if you decide on a powerful Hatsan, I’d recommend going with a 22 or 25 cal. There’s no benefit to going over the speed of sound and there’s often a detriment. On top of that, the more powerful springers and gas rams have ALOT of mechanical movement. They aren’t the easiest things to shoot well. A mid powered one would be easier to shoot accurately.
    I do believe Diana and some others have “recoil less” mechanisms of some sort that mitigate that extreme mechanical shift a bit which supposedly helps.

Sorry but I disagree Neverhome. I took apart the suppressor on my Hatsan 135 vortex QE and fired one round. LOUD!
    It is doing good stuff. Well worth it for the back yard IMO.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benja...fle_Black/4869

"Benjamin Variable Pump Air Rifle

All-weather, synthetic Monte Carlo stock
    Rifled brass barrel
    Fully adjustable rear sight
    Pin front sight
    Variable power
    Bolt action
    Single-stage trigger
    Manual safety
    Made in the USA

An American classic gets an update with the synthetic-stocked Benjamin 392S/397S multi-pump pneumatic Air rifle series.

Although it's been a part of the Benjamin air-rifle lineup for decades, the company has continued adding improvements like a swelling in the forearm to make it easier to pump and a fully adjustable rear sight, for example. Its sleek, Monte Carlo style stock has been reintroduced in a synthetic option that's durable and all-weather rated for years of reliable accuracy.

The 392S/397S series features a rifled brass barrel painted black. It's a bolt-action air rifle with which the shooter may control the muzzle velocity depending on the number of pumps. And, although these guns are scopeable, the B272 intermount is required to do so.

Ideal for everything from small-game hunting and pesting, to plinking and target practice, the Benjamin 392S/397S are accurate, powerful, reliable shooters that are suitable for a variety of tasks and they're built to last and last."

200$, no hidden costs other than pellets. Self contained. Just needs a reasonable supply of pellets and you.
    Single shot, forces you to make that shot count compared to PCP's spray and pray.
    If you keep the power level low the noise is also low.
    Great single shot teaching rifle for a young man.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 07-14-2020 at 07:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    So, are you saying this rifle is a good option, or a good candidate for the closet???
    It might be a good start in PCP.

Pre Charged Pneumatic, or "The Dark Side" once you crossover, springers and pumpers have little appeal.

Some of us are getting to the age where cocking a springer many times causes lasting discomfort in joints and muscles. Pumping up a good ole Sheridan or Benjamin, sure I can do it but would rather work the bolt and fire another shot right now.

Many PCP's have an intergal sound suppressor, no tax stamp or special permission needed.
    Very little recoil, mix those qualities with solid design that holds a zero, good trigger, clear glass.
    You have a very fun shooter!

Often they can be fired in a privacy fenced back yard with the neighbors not even knowing about it.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I have a Browning underlever with a 3-9x47 you can put ten shots through one ragged hole the shoot the staples out of my target for about $300cnd fixed barrel makes it real consistent I’d like to convert mine to a nitro piston but just haven’t got to it yet
    Last edited by Cast_outlaw; 07-14-2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: More info

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Sorry but I disagree Neverhome. I took apart the suppressor on my Hatsan 135 vortex QE and fired one round. LOUD!
    It is doing good stuff. Well worth it for the back yard IMO.
    Fair enough! The 135 is a big boy! Close to 25 fpe in .177 I'd bet. I'm sure that makes quite a bit of difference. My Benji xl is running about 22 fpe give or take and it is MUCH quieter than my lowly 13 fpe pcp without it's suppressor.

I shoot in the city and though airguns are plenty legal here, quiet definitely does matter for back yard shooting. My maxed out 25 Condor has an 8 inch suppressor on it. Without it it sounds just like a .22lr. No exaggeration. I shoot a 50 grain cast 25 acp bullet out of that made in a NOE mold.
    My Taipan Veteran in 25 sees only pellets and shoots them into tiny tiny groups.
    As mentioned, airgun suppressors are legal without paperwork and are very effective and necessary for sure with pcps and as mentioned by Ghosthawk with the bigger springers or gas rams as well.

Clodhopper tells it true, once you cross over the darkside there's no going back.

Boolit Buddy
    Diana 34

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4138.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	264906
    Last edited by LtFrankDrebbin; 07-16-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Master
    I agree with the good lieutenant get a Diana 34 or save you cash some more and get a HW 50 or any other HW.

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned two break-barrel Beeman springers (R1 .20 cal and R7 .17 cal) since the 80s. Dispatched a lot of pesky squirrels but are very hard to shoot well. Also a couple of Brit under-lever springers. Slightly easier to shoot.
    IMO save up for a mid-grade suppressed PCP. You'll have a far far more fun and satisfactory experience in the long run. Call the folks at Pyramid Air and discuss your options.
    Best of luck in your quest. Andy

All I can tell you is I'm real happy with my Hatsan so far.
    I shot a squirrel from across my yard with a 25.47 gr. hollow point pellet, he dropped like a stone.
    I have some 31 gr. pellets I haven't tried yet.
    So far I am very happy with it.
    I am sure you would be happy with one, I am equally sure you would be happy with any of the recommendations the fellas have given you in this thread.

Boolit Master
    I ve been shooting a $150 crossman break barrel 22 cal, spits pellets out at about 850fps and 1" at 40 yards no problem, came with a cheap scope on it but it works and seems to hold zero so far.
    airforce texans sure are attractive but the $1700 dollars could buy a whole lot of biscuits and gravy

Boolit Buddy
    Qb 78

Boolit Buddy
    Can I recommend the Diana 34

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4367.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	265072

Boolit Master
    now I kind of understand why a rabbit proof fence was needed in your part of the world
    sure is a pile of Hasenpfeffer there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast