MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Factory Crimp Die

Boolit Master

I won't use them.
    I use a light Taper Crimp on .32ACP, 9MM, 40S&W and .45ACP.
    All other handgun get a roll crimp .
    All crimping is done is done separately from seating.
    I use a roll crimp on .38-40, .44-40 & .45Colt when using the old style Black Powder bullets that have no crimping groove; (#40043, #42798 & #454190). They are made to crimp on the ogive. Never had a problem with bullets being pushed back into their cases.

I do use a light Taper Crimp for .223, .308 & .30-06 when loading those cases to be shot in a military style semi-auto.

I've fired thousands of rounds of .38-40, .44-40 & .45Colt in lever action rifles WITHOUT ever having the rounds having their bullets shoved back in their cases under recoil or magazine spring pressure.

I think the FCD is a crutch for Lee's poorly made dies.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

On 45 acp I taper crimp to .470, that is what store bought ammo is crimped to. I use lead exclusively with powder coating. Size to 452 and seat and crimp in separate steps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I won't use them.
    I use a light Taper Crimp on .32ACP, 9MM, 40S&W and .45ACP........

All other handgun get a roll crimp ..........

These are interesting comments.

You do realize that the Lee revolver FCD's apply a roll crimp. And the semi-auto dies are taper crimp. Both adjustable for amount of crimp, same as other mfg's. The pistol dies are not the collet type.

As to quality.....they work and work well. At least the 20+ sets I have owned over the years have been good.

Boolit Master

I tried them in .45ACP, .45Colt .44Mag and .44-40.

I've been reloading for over 60yrs.
    Old Lyman roll crimp dies in anything work better.

Redding Profile Crimp are even better.

CH Taper Crimp Dies in 9mm, .45ACP, 223, .308 & .30-06 I bought almost 40yrs ago. Still haven't found anything better.

Bought my first FCD in .44-40 about 15+yrs ago. Didn't work worth a pigs tail.
    Then I discovered it was actually a .44Mag die in a .44-40 box.
    Called Lee C.S., they suggested I was mistaken. Didn't appreciate being called a Liar .
    Fortunately I had purchased it from GRAF & SONS. They gave me a refund, No Questions asked as they didn't have one in stock.

I stand by My Original Statement. I threw away the other 3 fcds. Wouldn't wish them on a democrat.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

I won't use them.
    I use a light Taper Crimp on .32ACP, 9MM, 40S&W and .45ACP.
    All other handgun get a roll crimp .
    All crimping is done is done separately from seating.
    I use a roll crimp on .38-40, .44-40 & .45Colt when using the old style Black Powder bullets that have no crimping groove; (#40043, #42798 & #454190). They are made to crimp on the ogive. Never had a problem with bullets being pushed back into their cases.

I do use a light Taper Crimp for .223, .308 & .30-06 when loading those cases to be shot in a military style semi-auto.

I've fired thousands of rounds of .38-40, .44-40 & .45Colt in lever action rifles WITHOUT ever having the rounds having their bullets shoved back in their cases under recoil or magazine spring pressure.

I tried them in .45ACP, .45Colt .44Mag and .44-40.

I've been reloading for over 60yrs.
    Old Lyman roll crimp dies in anything work better.

Redding Profile Crimp are even better.

CH Taper Crimp Dies in 9mm, .45ACP, 223, .308 & .30-06 I bought almost 40yrs ago. Still haven't found anything better.

Bought my first FCD in .44-40 about 15+yrs ago. Didn't work worth a pigs tail.
    Then I discovered it was actually a .44Mag die in a .44-40 box.
    Called Lee C.S., they suggested I was mistaken. Didn't appreciate being called a Liar .
    Fortunately I had purchased it from GRAF & SONS. They gave me a refund, No Questions asked as they didn't have one in stock.

I stand by My Original Statement. I threw away the other 3 fcds. Wouldn't wish them on a democrat.

I size my boolits to a certain size for a reason. I don't want them swaged down to J-word size. That's what the carbide factory crimp die does.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

I size my boolits to a certain size for a reason. I don't want them swaged down to J-word size. That's what the carbide factory crimp die does.
    Don't buy it if you want over sized custom sized bullets , we don't all want or need oversized in every gun.
    Look at some of the posts we see where you people follow the advise that every thing has to be oversized if it's cast and people load stuff that won't even chamber.
    To say they are they are bad because YOU bought the wrong die is....ridiculous especially when you can get the 4 die set for about the same money as other three die sets you have lost nothing even if you don't use the FCD .
    It would be simpler and more honest and give you more credibility to just just say you don't like Lee and your not buying Lee products you have obviously not used those dies for what they are designed for.

Maybe I'm lucky but I've never felt the need for one in anything I load for. 9mm, 40s&w, 38/357, 44mag, 45acp with multiple guns & brands in each.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Maybe I'm lucky but I've never felt the need for one in anything I load for. 9mm, 40s&w, 38/357, 44mag, 45acp with multiple guns & brands in each.
    Maybe you're lucky. Maybe you aren't loading oversize cast bullets in thick cases. Maybe you're eventually going to run into a chambering problem that can't be solved with green box dies; if that ever happens your feelings won't matter and I'll still have a red box seating die suggestion for your consideration ....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    OK,here is one of the examples of what a Lee Factory Crimp Die does ... https://leeprecision.com/reloading-d...ory-crimp-die/
    Tests demonstrate that even bullets with no cannelure will shoot more accurately if crimped in place with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. A firm crimp improves accuracy because pressure must build to a higher level before the bullet begins to move. This higher start pressure insures a more uniform pressure curve and less velocity variation. Even powder selection is less critical.
    I use the FCD's shooting Black Powder & smokeless for both revolver and large caliber cases. All flared mouth cases have to be expanded to properly seat the bullet so 1/2 of the base can be placed in the case before seating. For revolver calibers, I put a hard crimp on the case mouth so when I slid my finger down the lip - it is smooth and the flared case lip is removed. Add's chambering of rifle lever action reloads so the lip does not hang up on the front of the chamber

For all large caliber BP reloads shot from a single shot rifle- my cases are expanded 0.001 to 0.002" to provide a seated bullet tension for the full length of the seated bullet - many 'seated out' in the leade to touch the leading bore cuts, not on a cannalure. The FCD is then just lightly squeezed to remove the case mouth flare. Accordingly, these rounds are 'finger seated' rounds and I can pull the bullet out of the case. Accuracy reloaded this way? Out to 1000 yds

For all large caliber reloads using J'bullets with no cannalure, I put a moderately hard crimp on the case mouth so when I slid my finger down the lip - it is smooth and the flared case lip is removed. Again accuracy? Out to 1000 yds
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Maybe you're lucky. Maybe you aren't loading oversize cast bullets in thick cases. Maybe you're eventually going to run into a chambering problem that can't be solved with green box dies; if that ever happens your feelings won't matter and I'll still have a red box seating die suggestion for your consideration ....
    I think you took what I said as a knock on the FCD. I wasn't knocking it at all, just stating that I haven't felt the need for one. I've read enough opinions on the subject to realize it has worked wonders for some with certain issues.

The FCD is just another tool in the toolbox. It depends on what I want to do whether I use it or not. Not as handy as a universal decapping die, but handy regardless. I will admit that I have only used them for rifle cartridges. I load 9mm, .45ACP, .38 Special, 44-40 with ordinary Lee dies; .41 magnum with steel RCBS dies. My loads Work perfectly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The FCD is just another tool in the toolbox. It depends on what I want to do whether I use it or not. Not as handy as a universal decapping die, but handy regardless. I will admit that I have only used them for rifle cartridges. I load 9mm, .45ACP, .38 Special, 44-40 with ordinary Lee dies; .41 magnum with steel RCBS dies. My loads Work perfectly.
    They don't make a CARBIDE factory crimp die for bottleneck cartridges.

I once thought that the CARBIDE FCD was the answer to my problems. That caused horrible leading. Then I did the research and figured out my loading practices were causing the problems.

I can go out and run 1000 9mm rounds on my Dillon and have maybe 5 that won't drop in my EGW case gauge. Those 9mm rounds are loaded with a .357 boolit. I took the time to get my dies set up right, got the correct powder funnel, one with a M die step on it, and the rounds are perfect. I'm using Dillon dies and the crimp die does nothing more than remove the bell on the case.

Those rounds have run in over 20 different 9mm firearms. It's amazing what proper setup of your equipment can do. Perhaps your equipment isn't up to snuff if you need the Carbide FCD to get your rounds to chamber?

Same thing on the other 650, I can run 45 ACP and have every round drop into and out of a EGW case gauge and my barrels. My last run was 700 rounds and I had NO rounds that failed.

Of course DougGuy can tell you that many new firearms, especially 9mm, have incorrectly cut chambers and throats. I've sent two 9mm barrels to him to have them worked on. My old S&W 5906 chamber and throat look like DG cut them for me, but that's the way it came from the factory. The carbide FCD will size down your ammo to fit in a incorrectly cut chamber. It doesn't solve the problem.

BTW, one of those barrels would lead no matter what. It had no throat and the rifling was very sharp at the end of the chamber. The latest one was sent in so I could load the NOE ELCO bullet to magazine length.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Lee created the Carbide FCD to correct the problems their presses and dies create.
    NRA Benefactor.

I guess I've just been lucky with my usage of the Lee FCD with my handgun cartridges.
    Mine don't size down my boolits unless my boolits are way oversize. With any reasonably normal diameter(up to .360), the FCD dies I have just barely kiss the sides of the case. I have pulled boolits multiple time to check for downsizing without finding any.
    I use the FCD as a crimp only station because I like to seat and crimp in separate steps. Even with the FCD, I can load boolits with a large enough diameter that the loaded cartridges will not fit in a match chamber.
    I have a couple of Beretta M9 barrels that have very "generous" chambers. They will feed boolits sized to .360 without issues. Those same cartridges will not chamber in my XDm or my Springfield Range Officer.
    None of my 8 different 9mm handguns lead with any of my ammunition. I think there is more to handgun leading than just sizing, lube, and hardness a lot of the time.
    I also think many people blame the Lee FCD for problems that it just doesn't cause.

Boolit Buddy
    I do use my 44 fc die when loading berry plated bullets, but for my hunting load, a 432 cast, I use a normal roll crimp. the fcd does seem to work well on the plated, and doesn't cut into the plating that I can tell. they shoot very accurate.
    Barry

Boolit Master
    On my revolvers a case fired in any of them will push past the carbide ring in the FCD with hand pressure It is not sizing anything down with the revolver dies if it did they would not have chambered anyway.
    If you were trying to load .454 bullets for 45 colt they would size down in the auto die but not the revolver die.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all of you folks for your reply's. I'm going to buy either a Lee or RCBS Taper Crimp die. Anyone have experience with either of these dies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigiron View Post
    Thanks to all of you folks for your reply's. I'm going to buy either a Lee or RCBS Taper Crimp die. Anyone have experience with either of these dies.
    Your welcome

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I do use them on a few calibers. But, I do use them very carefully. I only put a crimp that is just enough to hold the boolit in place.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    I just bought the 9mm, .38/.357, and .44 spl/ mag Carbide FCD...they came in black boxes...
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    Totally unnecessary, just use the crimp feature on your seating die, for revolver cals. and tubular mag. cals. they will roll crimp for autoloaders they will taper crimp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast