Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Reducing Snider Enfield Trigger Weight

Boolit Bub

Reducing Snider Enfield Trigger Weight

I have had to replace the tumber in my Snider's lock and now the trigger pull has become absurdly heavy. Can anyone suggest anything to reduce the trigger pull? I assumed the problem might be that the new tumblers grooves are cut deeper and so the trigger needs to be pulled a lot further to release. I am hesitant to start filing the engagement surface though so was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Your diagnosis is correct, but it is not the length of the pull. More likely the hammer is lifting ever so slightly when you pull the trigger due to the angle of the sear/tumbler grooves. This, of course, put an extra weight on the trigger. If you look carefully at the sear engagement you can easily figure out where to take a few light strokes with a file. Spare trigger parts, like tumblers and hammers are normally meant to be adjusted when replaced. Polishing the surfaces will help, but if you have hammer lift it will not be enough.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    A little dab of moly grease on all contact surfaces will work wonders. Use a tooth pick as the applicator. When done work the action to evenly distribute the moly grease. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Soft solder a shim on the tumbler to take up the excess pull and then polish the sear and the tumbler.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions I'll have a look at it now and see what can be fixed

Boolit Buddy
    Square up the full cock notch with fine stones and polish the end of the sear. Just make sure you don't change the angles very much and keep trying as you go. It's hard to put it back.