Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Federal #100 SPP

Boolit Buddy

Federal #100 SPP

Anyone using Fed. #100 Small Pistol Primers???? Compared to others are they good, bad, or no different???

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Back in my Bullseye shooting and PPC days those and the Remington 1-1/2 were the preferred primers.

They tend to be more sensitive and are better choice for target or PPC guns having light replacement springs, bobbed hammers and other nonsense which reduce hammer throw and striker energy, which should NEVER-EVER be used on a gun you carry for defense unless you have test fired the modified gun not less than 100 rounds of your carry ammo with ZERO misfires. If you get ONE misfire in 100 rounds, then repeat the test again firing another 100 rounds and if it then doesn't go bang every time, it's no good. 1 misfire in 200 rounds would NOT pass US Gov't specs for an LE carry.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

The federal 100 is usually considered the best of the best for small pistol primers. That is subjective. They are my preferred primer.

Boolit Grand Master

Very Good !
    Gold Star and sometimes hard to find on dealers shelf around here . The last time I was in local dealers he had just gotten a shipment of Federal Primers and Accurate Arms Powders and both were on SALE !...Oh Happy Day ... Call me a hoarder but I got my share of those good Federal Primers and Accurate Pistol powders !
    Get them if you can , no complaints from me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Note that Lee advises against using Federal primers in their progressive presses due to a propensity to set off.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Federal are available here but haven't seen Winchester SPP in months. That's why I bought the Federals. Based on your replies, looks like I'll be going back to the LGS for more Federals.
    Thanks, I really appreciate the input.
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master

I like federals but I also use others. A few years ago Midway USA had Rem 1 1/2s on sale right after a panic I bought 25,000 and beat the hazmat charge.
    Last edited by ddixie884; 09-25-2020 at 12:20 AM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Note that Lee advises against using Federal primers in their progressive presses due to a propensity to set off.
    If it's a choice between Federal and Lee, Lee is going to lose, in my shop anyway. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I don’t find them to be “better” in any way, but they do have the softest/thinnest cup so can be set off by a lighter strike. Makes them good for game guns as outpost75 mentioned above.

As with Rem 1 1/2 primers, I wouldn’t use them for high pressure rounds like 357sig, but that may just be me. Watch for pierced primers.

Boolit Master
    the Remington 11/2 is not to be used in 357 mag, 40 S&W 357 sig and other high intensity rounds according to warning on the side of pkg. that's the only thing I don't like about them. I use them for 38 spl loads. Ive never had a problem with CCI or Federal primers

Boolit Master
    I have a number of guns made purely for competition and several have very light ignition system force to get a really good trigger. The sacrifice is reliability and some are very finicky. The only way to get reliable ignition is with Federal primers. Pretty well know in the shooting competition world of the Federal primer only concept. That has its own pitfalls but in guns that wont run on any other primer, they are very reliable on Federals. The combination of soft cups and a very sensitive primer compound seals the deal. They are very good primers in my experience, been through cases and cases of SPP's. Its the only primer ill use in defense loads if I loaded defense ammo. The quality control is very good, Fed makes excellent primers. That said, I have been using Fiocchi SPP's in place of the Federals because of availability and conservation of my stash. So far they have been on-par with the Feds. Not a single failure to ignite in my picky guns however I have only used one case of them. Fellow club shooters report the same success. They appear to be an equal alternative to Federals thus far.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

I love them in revolvers which have been set up for bullseye and others that have extremely light triggers. That said, I do not run them in standard revolvers or semi-autos because they are so sensitive and a little harder to come by.

But, I have found myself in a bit of a quandary. I some how managed to run myself out of standars small pistol primers and have thousands of Federals... need to find someone locally to trade a few k with.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned above, the greater sensitivity helps in guns with lightened triggers. In the action pistol sports the revo shooters swear by them but the Federals are also favored in autos like Glocks where a light recoil spring may allow the slide to come out of battery unless the striker spring is also lightened. That being said, for a Glock at least, an extended tip striker seems to let me use other brands of primers no problem.

Boolit Master
    If you do use Federals and really just as good safe practice no matter the primer, clean your priming systems. Believe it or not primers do "dust", leaving primer compound behind in your primer loading components. This buildup can lead to ignition and a dangerous surprise. Wet a paper towel with alcohol snd wipe your gear down. If you use tubes, Q-tips & alcohol to swab the insides. You will find a nice amount of primer compound. If you are feeling froggy, let the Q-tip dry out and whack it with a hammer. A lot of people neglect to clean that stuff snd I used to be one of them!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed