Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beretta APX on the way

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I guess I have had good luck, most gunmakers I have dealt with went out of their way to help me. If I bought the gun used I would have just replaced the sights myself, but I just bought it new and it should be dead on with common ammo. I'm still planning to have the adjustable sights put on at some point. Will report back when it is fixed!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Got the APX back, and Beretta test fired it and said no problem found. They included a test target from 15 yards, showing a group that was roughly centered for elevation, but an inch or so left of the bullseye. Geez, they could have at least put the next size shorter front sight on as a courtesy since the pistol is shooting low for me the customer. Not really impressed with that. I already bought the adjustable sight set for the APX, so I left it for the 'smith to install. Will report back!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Picked up the APX with it's new sights and took a quick test drive. Seems to be shooting good with W-W and R-P 147 grain factory ammo and also my own reloads with the Lee 356-120-TC. I seat the Lee boolits to 1.072. They drop into the chamber a bit snug but shoot great, leading seems minimal and function is 100%. One thing I will say, don't try squeezing the trigger like it's a good 1911. That always results in pulling the shot up or down for me. Line up the front sight and give the trigger a firm press like you mean it.

Put some more rounds through the APX and ,I must say, I am still on the fence about keeping it. As nice a pistol it is, I am going to have to put alot of rounds downrange to really get comfortable with it. And, that could be a problem depending on how things go tomorrow. I still shoot my Glocks alot better, and I might be better served overall with a gen. 5 19. Decisions, decisions...

Had another range session with the APX today. Everything finally seems to be coming together with this pistol, I can now shoot it about as well as my trusty old Glock 26. The APX seems to do really well with my reloads of Arsenal 358-130-RF sized to .357 over 4 grains HP-38 at 1.075. At least as accurate as R-P 147 grain FMJ and fouling seems minimal. So, for now I'm leaning towards keeping it unless somebody makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Boolit Master

Nice to hear that it's working out! I gave up my quest for one in .40 S&W and just bought one of the new Gen 5 Glock G23s. Paid MSRP for it, which was sad, but they are impossible to find locally and I had to order it from a shop in SC.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Never seen a gen. 5 in .40, even at shops that had plenty of 'em in 9mm. Sounds like a nice piece, you tried boolits in it yet?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Never seen a gen. 5 in .40, even at shops that had plenty of 'em in 9mm. Sounds like a nice piece, you tried boolits in it yet?
    I won't get it for another week or two. The only FFL in my county operates for a couple of hours in the evening a couple of days a week, so finding time to do the 30 mile drive during the work week, when I work graveyard shifts, is tough.

Hopefully it won't be like my Gen 5 G19, which early models came with shallow throats. Certain bullet designs, when seating at recommended OAL, would not chamber. Glock quietly fixed later versions. They offered to fix mine for free, but I spent so much time developing loads for it, and was able to get 1" groups at 25 yards, that I don't want to risk messing it up.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123