Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Powder Measure Binding with Universal

Unhappy Hornady Powder Measure Binding with Universal

I am trying to throw 4gr Universal with the Hornady LNL Powder Measure on the Hornady progressive press but can't get through ten throws without having terrible binding and an extremely low powder charge. This doesn't make much sense to me because my go-to 9mm load is 4.2gr Unique, and Unique seems very similar to Universal.

I am using the pistol rotor and micrometer, pistol powder-thru insert, the powder baffle and I have degreased the whole thing multiple times.

Has anyone else encountered/solved this?

Have you tried emptying all the powder out of the measure and running a bunch of cases to see if it binds without the powder? It might be a linkage issue vs a powder challenge.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master
    I know different Measure but my lee perfict powder measure some times the drum on the side just needs the screw tightened up a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    Have you tried emptying all the powder out of the measure and running a bunch of cases to see if it binds without the powder? It might be a linkage issue vs a powder challenge.
    The measure cycles freely without powder.

I'm not familiar with Universal, but if its a stick powder instead of ball or flake,
    that's common with my Hornady powder measure too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm not familiar with Universal, but if its a stick powder instead of ball or flake,
    that's common with my Hornady powder measure too.
    It is a flake powder like Unique, hence my confusion.

Boolit Master
    I used Universal in my silhouette 32-20 loads when I first got going. I left it because of the fine dust it produced and binding in the rotating powder measure. That fine dust would build up in the funnel area of all the measures I tried unless they were polished and given the double bump when dropping a powder charge. Sometimes I had to stop and clear the binding in the middle of a loading session when I got near the end of a bottle of powder. I moved on when I found VhitaVuori powder.

I had a binding problem years ago. Can't remember the powder.
    I figure the graphite on the powder does a good job of lubricating the rotating drum, but maybe not with some powders.

What fixed it for me then was to take out the drum, clean and wax it- and the inside of the frame with car wax.
    No specific brand, just the one I had on the shelf.

I didn't want to oil it, the wax worked, and was dry.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thank you all for the comments,

I might just have to buy a different powder measure for these kinds of scenarios. My little LEE Perfect Powder Measure has no issues with Universal, it is just the Hornady giving me problems.

Boolit Master
    I ran into similar problem with lnlap, not with universal but with large stick powders, some times the rotor won't cut them easy, after doing several weight tests to be sure loads were consistent giving the rotor stem a nudge I will to have to at times give the adjusting stem a help up to cut through the powder. its still much faster on bulk loading than using single stage or turret press and the mull and belding. Wish I had an extra $1000 to get a new blue 750 and some conversion set ups.

Do any of you know if the LEE auto-drum measure works well with the more difficult powders? If it does, that could be an inexpensive fix.

Boolit Master
    Thin flake powders have a habit of getting between the rotor and body of all measures and binding; I either put up with it or change powders.

Ball powders flow and measure like water in most any measure. I know of nothing that handles big kernels of tubular powders well except Lee's simple little plastic Perfect Powder Measure; it's not perfect but it's the best I've found for handling tubular stuff.

But no rotating measure I've ever seen is very good with thin flakes, seems they ALL bind with that, so I chose to use (home made) dippers for them!

Well Boo! Sorry to hear its the powder but good information to have. I’ve never used Universal and based on what you’ve discovered I’m not likely to. If you can find W231 it works great in the Hornady measure and as an added bonus I’ve had great results with it in 9mm, 45 ACP and 38/357.
    Sadly, no experience with the Lee powder measure to report but I’m sure someone has.
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee but have not used it with universal. It has worked well for me with BE-86. , 231 Hs6 ,3N37 and 2400

I have contacted Hornady to get their opinion. Their technician said that the have not found Hodgdon's Universal to cause issues in their powder measure. I'll let you guys know if I learn anything worthwhile.

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to try some Accurate Arms Pistol powders like #2 or #5 in that measure , that stuff flows like water and should work in any measure ... my Lyman 55 likes it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I use Universal with my 9mm on my Hornady and Dillon (same powder measure) and have had ZERO problems. But then again I use powdered graphite on all surfaces and a good baffle.

Boolit Buddy
    Perhaps taking a video of this happening would help more?

Quote Originally Posted by Comfy View Post
    Do any of you know if the LEE auto-drum measure works well with the more difficult powders? If it does, that could be an inexpensive fix.
    I use H110 and Universal in my Lee Auto Drum. Universal meters very well, no binding or leaking at all.

Check the gasket/oring that’s around the drum. I had that issue and the gasket was causing the issue.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast