Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6 Cavity #0 Buckshot Mould From TOTW

Boolit Master

6 Cavity #0 Buckshot Mould From TOTW

It seems that a 2 pellet stack yields superior patterns compared to a 3 pellet stack. Also, #0 Buckshot lends itself to that in a wider variety of wads, rather than #00 (.310" vs .330"). So in view of these factors I'm considering buying one of these moulds from Track of the Wolf.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...2/1/LEE-310-6C

I have a Lee 6 cavity mould for a PB Lyman 311041 from a Group Buy several years ago. Casting with that mould I know you have to be humping right along to keep the mould up to temperature and that mould is taking 3-1/2 times the lead per pour than this buckshot mould will take. My question to those who use this mould is, how difficult is it to keep the mould hot and running right? Or, should I consider the 18 cavity #00 mould and settle for whatever wads will work with it? Smooth casting ability is a big plus as I'm a grumpy old codger, I appreciate your input.
    Last edited by centershot; 07-12-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

No problem. I pour with a ladle and always get a big sprue so it stays hot. I would highly recommend that mold. I too am a grumpy old codger and cutting those OO is not for me.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

look into the mihec molds, he might have some left over from the group buy. been using a oo buck from him, single stack only. I can make a lot of usable shot quickly and no cutting apart, run them in a tumbler with a pinch of graphite and they look great.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    No problem. I pour with a ladle and always get a big sprue so it stays hot. I would highly recommend that mold. I too am a grumpy old codger and cutting those OO is not for me.
    Thanks Hal! Your recommendation is testament enough for me, I'll get it ordered!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I've got a bunch of Lee 6 cavity molds I obtained when Ranch Dog was still doing his thing and they all do well . I had given seriouse consideration to ordering a pair of 6 cavity round ball molds from Track of the Wolf . I already had a rinky dink Lee 2 cavity for .380 (0000 buck) and a .395 (00000 buck). But after I got to thinking about it I can make all I need easy enough with the two cavity jobs . I mean I only use stuff that large in the 10's and my 8 . However if I was of a mind to cast 0 , 00 , 000 I'd get a pair of 6 cavities in each size I wanted and go to town !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master

And here's a link to what I called buckshot perfection. Take a look at the component list. I think BPI has cheddite hulls again but the 1265 wad is discontinued so go with whatever takes its place. Gotta have the buffer and cast with HARD lead. Those clear overshot plastic wads are great to have on hand too. I've killed about 20 hogs with that load and 2 deer. Total tracking distance has been about the length of my shotgun. Can't quite explain that, just seems to paralyze 'em!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hot-PERFECTION
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Yes, I've been eyeballing that thread for a week or two, that's what got me to put down the RB moulds and start making buckshot again, durn slow going with a 2 cavity but it's working. I followed your recommendations and mixed up some 50-50 Lino and Pure, so the alloy is about 6% antimony. Dumped a bunch in the tumbler for about 6 hours yesterday, they do look pretty! Can't wait to load some up!

unknown

Boolit Bub
    Hogtamer
    I have studied your perfect buckshot load for a couple of weeks and have wondered if you water quench the 7.5% antimony 92.5% lead or let it air cool. Do you know a ballpark BHN hardness for your buckshot?
    The loose 2 pellet layer loads are genius! I would never thought to try it. Thanks!!

Boolit Master

Replied to PM Bob. Genius not, but persistent and lucky.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Hogtamer!
    So to recap, and please correct me if I still don't have it quite right, the 7.5% antimony 92.5% lead alloy is allowed to air cool.
    I wonder if anyone has figured out how hard those are?
    I ask because it is expensive to come up with that much antimony in the lead without a lot of tin to help dissolve the antimony into the lead.
    I happen to have a whole bunch of radiation shielding bricks left over from a 1950s physics lab project that seem to be the 4% antimony variety. These pencil test at 10BHN. It would heat tread quite a bit harder, I hope. I have no clue if there is any arsenic in these bricks.

I have one of the track of the wolf 6 cavity molds and two 8 cavity from the MP group buy. I have to say the MP molds are more better than they are more expensive.

The Lee from TOTW does the job fine it just isn't as productive at 6 instead of 8 cavity and it isn't as solid feeling. The number of cavities matters more in the smaller size pellets. It is surprising how much more casting it takes to make 10 lbs. of #1 buckshot than 10 lbs. of #OO shot. Bit more mass to the MP which helps hold heat consistent.

Another ladle caster so large sprue or pour lead so it flows off the side of the mold providing more heat. Both work well if the mold needs more heat. Hardball 2/6 Sn/Sb at BHN of ~16 works well. Linotype cut 50/50 with plain lead is a common recipe for that. Casts nice, good hardness. Little less weight than a softer alloy like WW+2% Sn
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Bub
    WOW!!
    Just discovered the lead alloy calculator.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators
    COOL
    The answer is 16 BHN for air cooled 7.5% antimony and 92.5% lead.
    Last edited by Bob Fleming; 07-23-2020 at 05:14 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Now I am all confused about my bricks. The PHD in charge of the lab who wanted to "make that junk in the corner disappear" told me that it was a special antimony/lead alloy for serious radiation shielding and had no tin in it. That guy must have been 2 or 3 generations and 10 administrations removed from the guy who was in charge of the nuclear experiments.
    Getting back on topic, I have many one and two cavity Lyman and lee moulds in the "buckshot" size range. I see a pair of 6 cavity TOTW moulds in my future.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fleming View Post
    Now I am all confused about my bricks. The PHD in charge of the lab who wanted to "make that junk in the corner disappear" told me that it was a special antimony/lead alloy for serious radiation shielding and had no tin in it. That guy must have been 2 or 3 generations and 10 administrations removed from the guy who was in charge of the nuclear experiments.
    Getting back on topic, I have many one and two cavity Lyman and lee moulds in the "buckshot" size range. I see a pair of 6 cavity TOTW moulds in my future.
    That sounds like isotope lead, which are containers that store radioactive items. I normally like tin, but I'm not sure it is that important for buckshot. Shoot some into something harder like a hardwood log or water jugs, and see if they fracture. If not, then it should be fine. I water drop all my buckshot, I don't see any reason not to. The harder the better.

Boolit Bub
    It probably is one of the special isotope alloys and price was irrelevant because it would be a line item on a huge .gov research grant. They were doing experiments back then we rightly consider insane now. We don't need tin to cast balls so I might try casting with it as is this fall. Not excited about casting in the heat and this is just a hobby project.

Boolit Master

Well, I got the new mould from TOTW on Tuesday, got it cleaned up and put it to work. It didn't take long to make 20# of #0 buckshot! This mould drops shot like rain from heaven.....I think I AM in heaven! Way faster than the old 2-cav mould for sure! Twelve hours in the tumbler, 5# at a time and they're ready to load, WOW!

unknown

Boolit Master

the shielding lead is great stuff, I use it as a direct replacement for coww lead. been using it to make buckshot for the last few days and it makes good shot.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Here's the replacement for the discontinued wad for the "perfect" buckshot load.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/TP...tinfo/3227701/
    Bob, thanks for the BHN update, it's just that I was told there would be no math here...
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    No stranger to math here! But that was not my work, I just plugged your numbers into a line on the lead alloy calculator and 16 BHN was the result.
    Actually it is a spreadsheet.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oy-calculators
    To tell the truth, the spread sheet is intended to work with typical amounts of antimony and tin. 7.5% antimony but no tin is not one of the alloys the author fine tuned it for. 16 BHN is only a guess. The way tin and antimony work together I kinda get a bad feeling about how close it is. I doubt the exact number is important and by the time I water quench it won't matter as long as it is not so hard it becomes brittle. The Hammer test will tell. Hit a pellet with a good size hammer. Flatten = good, crumble = melt it again and add something with a little tin and copper.

Boolit Bub
    Dug out from the archives, some old information originally posted by longbow:
    leadalloyinfo.zip
    This is 3 PDFs detailing the properties of lead and antimony alloys.

The updated answer for 7.5% antimony 92.5% lead air cooled is now 13 BHN if you are using lab quality pure materials.
    4% heat treated can reach 24 BHN and 8% can reach 26.3 BHN.
    Last edited by Bob Fleming; 07-26-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast