MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyrodex RS for .45 Colt?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A Hoppe's bottle full of Murphy's Oil Soap added to a quart of Ed's Red will enable it to form a stable emulsion in water. You then have a pink solution similar in consistency to Pepto Bismol which works on chlorate primed ammo and black powder. The lanolin in the Ed's Red leaves a protective film on the metal to positively prevent rusting until the water evaporates. Standing the cleaned gun near the wood stove at the hunting camp finishes the job. Or at home discreetly borrow the hair dryer from SWMBO.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Actually the hair dryer is mine.

For the BEARD
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Is that really necessary? My current '73 I clean with hot soapy water, easy peasy, and I don't even own a hunting camp with a wood stove.

Pyrodex is awful stuff. I used to use it in my inline hunting rifle and the breach gets so dirty I can hardly get it clean and use some harsh cleaning stuff to get it clean. Switched to 777 for it and going to try American Frontier powder for my revolvers and see if that keeps the cylinder fowling down compared to FFF BP. I would even try Pyrodex in them.

Pyrodex is bloody awful to clean and corrosive. O got half a pound I am trying to find out how to use without endangering any more guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Wizard show Arch eh wot. I'm on the my way to the range at 10 degrees with a few loaded with pyro and a few with 777 2f and a chrono. I've been using the horrible, evil amd bloody awful pyro because it didn't foul like bp in my 1858 remington. Be sure to boil your shooter and chase all the screw threads spray with ambergris and Sumatran lizard oil after using pyro...that's a joke Arch. Give it a try and see what you think.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Mountain State rattlesnake bile can be substituted for the Sumatra lizard oil, if thinned 50-50 with 190 proof corn alcohol decanted from a possum bladder during the dark of the moon while whistling Little Brown Jug.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I've heard that all my life.

Boolit Grand Master

Got some as a gift and used it for 44 and 45 pistol with no problems, just a very light compression though.

Anyone tried American Frontier powder yet? I just picked up a # for 20.95 in FFF substitute and going to try it in paper cartridges in the 1858 cap cylinder. I was thinking of trying this and N320, WHEN I can find primers again. Which is why I am making paper cartridges. I bough the N320 thinking it was N32C becuase they did not have trail boss and was sold out.

I am not sure I am using the N320 and might just save it for 9mm rounds for the girls.
    Last edited by archeryrob; 12-26-2020 at 09:50 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12