Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Carbide Base Sizer????

Boolit Bub

Lee Carbide Base Sizer????

Did Lee ever make a carbide base sizer and is that what I have here. I have researched Lee's website and can find nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 223a.jpg   223b.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    You don't reference .223 base sizer in your message, but since I can read the side of the die in the first pic, it certainly seems strange. LEE makes many carbide sizers, buy I'm not aware of ANY in bottleneck rifle dies. What does the rest of the printing say on the side of the die?

Boolit Bub
    "Lee 223 Rem - 14", there are no other markings. It is not a traditional sizing die as there are no provisions for a de-cap rod

What does the top end of the die look like? I am thinking it could be a trim die.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Top of die is considerably longer than the overall length of a 223 round

Looks like Bubba has struck again.
    What's the diameter?

AntiqueSledMan.

Banned
    It looks like a quick-trim die.

I'd call Peter in their customer service dept. and send him the photos, although he may be able to help you without them. It sure looks like a carbide ring insert to me, but they make many custom dies that you won't necessarily find in their catalog. If it is a carbide sizer, then I'd speculate that it's a small base sizer which is designed to squeeze the brass's base down smaller than SAAMI specs to assure reliable functioning in semi- and full auto weapons. The commonly encountered small base sizing dies are .223 (5.56mm), .308, .30-06.

Boolit Bub
    On my list of things to do Monday morning.

I ran some previously sized LC brass in the die and it reduced the base diameter approx. .002"

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Ultimate die set just includes both FL sizer die and neck collet sizing die, nothing special in the set. I'll wait for the OP to hear back from LEE.

I got out my Lee Ultimate die set for 223. The collet neck size die has no markings on it. If bought by itself they may have put markings on it.
    My die has a longer smooth section at the top of the die and you can see about 3/8" of the collet sticking out of the bottom. If I remove the inner parts and look up inside the body it is just a large hole for the collet. It looks nothing like that die.
    I'll keep an eye out on this thread to see what ca_reloader hears from Lee.
    Leo

Boolit Bub
    sghart3578 is correct, it is a quick trim die. I have seen a number of this style of trimmer manufactured by Pacific and RCBS, I was not aware that Lee had adopted it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_reloader View Post
    sghart3578 is correct, it is a quick trim die. I have seen a number of this style of trimmer manufactured by Pacific and RCBS, I was not aware that Lee had adopted it.
    I don't think so. This is RCBS quick trim die, and it is anything but quick. (video below) OP's comment in #5 would preclude this from being a quick trim die, he said it is much longer than a .223 case. LEE's newer quick trim dies have much larger bores in the top of die to allow die/knives tool to be inserted. You can see the hole in the top if this die isn't much larger than the bottom, if not actually smaller.

I await the real answer.

Boolit Bub
    I am not sure what you are trying to say. My die is a Lee Quick Time Die. In the 60's and early 70's RCBS and Pacific, and maybe others, made a die with the same design as the Lee die. My point was that I was not aware that Lee had reintroduced the design.

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    I don't think so. This is RCBS quick trim die, and it is anything but quick. (video below) OP's comment in #5 would preclude this from being a quick trim die, he said it is much longer than a .223 case. LEE's newer quick trim dies have much larger bores in the top of die to allow die/knives tool to be inserted. You can see the hole in the top if this die isn't much larger than the bottom, if not actually smaller.

I await the real answer.

That's an RCBS FILE TRIM die, not a quick trim die. They have different functions.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    That's an RCBS FILE TRIM die, not a quick trim die. They have different functions.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    So is this the RCBS quick trim tool then? Video below. I having trouble seeing how the die in the OP's pic can accomodate any type of tool in the top to trim from that end, and it's too long to use a file like the file die I posted.

Boolit Master
    Go here to see a quick trim setup
    https://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_reloader View Post
    I have to apologize then. The picture throws me off with the hole size in the top of the die, it is visible through the bottom of the die. The bore in LEE Quick trim dies are near 5/8" or so to allow that rotating tool to go down inside the die to contact the case.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Go here to see a quick trim setup
    https://leeprecision.com/quick-trim/
    Yeah, I know, I've got one. Like I said above, that hole size just threw me. I've got some old RCBS sizing/decap dies that have what I think are 10/32 threads in the top of the die. No way would one put the neck expander ball, and deprime pin down there like most dies now. Instead, you threaded it up from underneath, then locked it with a set screw. Still works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast